• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My first teaching job was at the time when schools kept gerbils and other small mammals. One day a little girl came in with a small animal in her hand saying that a baby gerbil had escaped. I took it

My Grandad was an electrician on the Boots shopfitting team from the very early 1900s until he retired in 1952.  I’ve heard a story from my Mum that he was standing outside big Boots on Pelham Street

Well I wish I hadn't read this topic just before logging off last night. I pulled the duvet right up over my ears and eyes, then rolled over to the right, and tucked the duvet tight up against my legs

• 1 month later...

Mice alert ! I noticed the other day, one of the neighbours cats patiently lying in wait amongst the alpines in my rockery, so I immediately assumed that there were mice present. However, on rummaging in the shed this morning, I noticed that some suet logs had been nibbled, that were on a shelf instead of inside the container. (My fault)

So, it's time for drastic action. No more pratting about with poison in little trays. It's TRAP TIME !

Three laced with peanut butter in the shed, and two new ones that I haven't used yet with bits of suet log in sheltered positions outside the shed. I await positive results ! 

Rats and mice (and rabbits, hares and squirrels) are endemic here - which is one reason I keep two Norfolk terriers.

Pretty and cuddly as they may be, they are also extremely efficient killers of vermin. I loan my dogs out to the neighbourhood to keep the rodents in check - not the squirrels, though, the dogs haven't learned how to climb trees yet but they do try.

If you want to use terriers for vermin control, it is better to have two as they work best in pairs.

I heard on good authority that the recent problem with the steak supplier for J D Wetherspoon

, a Derby meat processing factory was over run with rats, I thought my last steak at Wether's didn't quite taste right !

My first teaching job was at the time when schools kept gerbils and other small mammals. One day a little girl came in with a small animal in her hand saying that a baby gerbil had escaped. I took it from her very quickly. It was a baby rat and its fleas were crawling on her hand!. I disposed of it and then there was much use of disinfectant!

At another school there was an infestation inside the building. The drama teacher was taking a lesson in the school hall when a baby rat came out from under the stage. One of the lads picked it up so she told him to take it to me as I was Head of Biology and would know what to do! The lad arrived at my lab with the rat. I took it from him very fast thinking of all the forms I would have to fill in if it bit him. Instead it bit me! The technicians disposed of the rat and I applied neat Dettol. Painful! Then I needed an anti-tetanus injection. A few days later I was in the office  first thing in the morning. A member of staff found more baby rats and brought them to me in a plastic waste bin. This time I decided drowning was the answer. The bin would not fit under the tap in the small kitchen next to the head's office but there was one of those water heaters higher on the wall. The rats were drowned in hot water then I left a message for the caretaker. Some years later I returned to the school as a Trade Union Caseworker to sort out a problem in a meeting with  the head. When the problem was sorted I told him I had o worked there in the past and how I had dealt with rats in the little kitchen. He was politely amused by the description but after that always very wary in his dealings with me. When dealing with rats take no prisoners!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Went into the shed this afternoon to check my traps, and lo and behold, three big mice, well and truly scrunched !

Reset them, and I'll look in tomorrow.

I knew there'd be a use for that appalling Tesco Crunchy Peanut Butter. 

• Upvote 1
On 27/12/2017 at 2:00 PM, MargieH said:

Compo, has your feline friend got a poorly eye or been in a fight?

He has a damaged eyelid muscle; the vets can do nothing for it.  fortunately, it doesn't bother him at all - he still brings voles and young rats into the house for his dinner - when he can get by the security!.

• Upvote 1
20 hours ago, FLY2 said:

\snip\

I knew there'd be a use for that appalling Tesco Crunchy Peanut Butter. 

It works in my traps too, Fly.  I have a jar in the shed that I keep specially for the meeces.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Crosman ratcatcher,pump up pneumatic air pistonl,be very careful shooting rats with it,you need to be within 10 meters to kill them buggers

Rog

• Like 1

Or my BSA R10 MK2, .22 cal

P1060476.jpg

Shame Theoben don't make the Rapid any more Phil,but I think theres a company who do a close copy,don't know much about them though,or is that the Fenman?

Rog

• Like 1

Mine looks very much like that plus I have a laser sight. The Fenman was also made by Theoben. I went to the ‘factory’ in Cambridgeshire when they were producing. It was not much more than a shed. The rifle itself I bought from Walkers of Trowell. I did have the diver’s air bottle checked and refilled quite some years ago but I don’t use it a lot these days. There’s plenty to shoot at round here but I find  the preparation of pigeons and rabbits for the table is too much of a pain to be worthwhile. I must get some targets set up and have a go now it’s Spring again. With a laser sight you can’t really miss once it’s set up. I’ve got a BSA .22 which is over 50 years old and a .177 which I had when I was 10.

• Like 1

The only problem with laser sights is they are distance specific,but as you say when they are set up for that distance you can't miss,I have just got rid of my old BSA Cadet Major that was made between 1946 and 1955 acording to the serial number,I also have a CO2 Baretta pistol for target shooting in the back garden

Rog

• 2 weeks later...