What these people forget is that by not dealing with such a problem, because "it does not fit their criteria" that the problem then escalates until is a greater problem fitting their criteria in more serious ways?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My first teaching job was at the time when schools kept gerbils and other small mammals. One day a little girl came in with a small animal in her hand saying that a baby gerbil had escaped. I took it

My Grandad was an electrician on the Boots shopfitting team from the very early 1900s until he retired in 1952.  I’ve heard a story from my Mum that he was standing outside big Boots on Pelham Street

Well I wish I hadn't read this topic just before logging off last night. I pulled the duvet right up over my ears and eyes, then rolled over to the right, and tucked the duvet tight up against my legs

according to my housing association and gedling borough because theyre outside and I can't tell if their living in the garden 100% or coming from the courtyard behind then it's not much of a problem. although theyv been brave enough to venture up to my back door and their not scared of cats or humans untill I chase them or my cat attacks them with ease. so when the weather gets nice, my daughter can't go and play in the back garden incase she gets something they carry. and they could kill my cats by a bite or disease. I'm going to try the ferret thing. tempted to put down anti freeze but I'm so worried incase I kill a neighbors or just another cat, I'd never forgive myself

My cats were working farm cats and one did bring down a rat, but she got bitten in the process and was very poorly afterwards. She didn't eat it though, don't think they are as tasty as mice! My patterdale was a brilliant ratter, but again didn't eat them, just broke their necks and left them. He would track them down and dig them out if he got scent of them, so failing the ferrets if you know anyone who has a patterdale.....

We've got a Patterdale! Trouble is he gets so excited and frightens everything off with his barking before he gets to it (usually neighbours cats that are hanging around hoping to catch a bird)

DON'T put anti freeze out, it's deadly to cats, not sure if dogs go for it, but it's supposed to be sweet tasting, and cats will drink the lot, then they die a horrible painful death.

• 4 years later...

s a teenager I briefly worked for a firm of shopfitters & some of the sights we saw refitting pubs & restaurants etc in the sit center would make yer skin crawl. I never realised how big coakroaches could be.

My Grandad was an electrician on the Boots shopfitting team from the very early 1900s until he retired in 1952.  I’ve heard a story from my Mum that he was standing outside big Boots on Pelham Street one day when Narrow Marsh was being demolished and literally hundreds of rats came racing along the street.  All he and others could do was jump into a doorway, out of the way.  Think I would have died on the spot! 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Well I wish I hadn't read this topic just before logging off last night. I pulled the duvet right up over my ears and eyes, then rolled over to the right, and tucked the duvet tight up against my legs and back. I then rolled back, and did likewise pulling the duvet to my chest. 

I was caccooned well and proper, in case any filthy little blighters tried to get me.

• Like 3

I recently read a book entitled Blowing off Steam, by Jack Backen, an ex steam engine fireman from Kirkby. It relates an horrific incident when he was firing a heavy coal train from Shirebrook to Toton. It was a dry moonlit night, and suddenly upon reaching Sutton Junction, the engine started to slip badly, at which point the driver put the sanders on, and the engine then resumed fairly normal traction. 

Both men looked over the side of the engine, and in the moonlight, saw a heaving grey mass of fur and teeth, and a twelve foot wide swarm of rats, numbering several hundred  thousand as they ploughed into the wheels and mechanism of the engine.

It transpired that they had been disturbed by the demolition of the local hide and skin warehouse .

Had the engine not regained traction and kept up the momentum, the consequences would have been unimaginable !

• Like 1

Similar thing happened to me Fly,going home to Clifton from my girlfriends in Broxtowe must have been late 60's,cyling down the old Lenton lane before the flyover and industrial park was built,got to the railway bridge heading towards Clifton bridge and saw the whole road moving,like waves on the sea, then I saw they were rats on the march from the Meadows area to the rubbish tips of Lenton lane, I sat on the bridge pillar for about half an hour until they had all gone, boy did I pedal fast along that flat road until I got to Clifton bridge, never been so frightened in my life and thats the only time I have seen such a thing, we get them come in the garden off the fields out here but I just shoot them when I see them

Rog

• Upvote 1

A few years ago bonded wharehouses were being demolished on Newcastle quayside.  When the first one went down rats were everywhere you couldn't see the road my daughter was in the hotel and said it sounded as if they were screaming.

• Like 1

They were probably water voles RR. Protected species.

A few months ago I was going along the walkway from the tram into QMC and spotted a rat in a little garden/seating area down on the left hand side.  Not very nice but it looks as if it’s an area that is never used anyway.   However, I was a bit put out recently when walking through Sherwood I saw a couple of big ones up the side of one of the pubs, that Irish pub I think it is.

We all realise there are rats within a few feet of us all, we just don’t like to actually see them!

Discarded junk food is a major problem I'm sorry to say.

• Like 1

I was going to post this in the Poetry thread, but have decided it might be better here.

How many of you were told this story when you were young, as I was. What I didn't know is that it is a poem - I always thought it was a children's story. Note the scattered rhyming. Click on double page to increase its size.

Pied_Piper_1.jpg

Pied_Piper_2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I played a rat in the Infants, head made out of a brown carrier bag! We did The Pied Piper of Hamlin for our parents. Still remember waiting in the quadrangle outside the classroom door, waiting to join in the play. 

I was an angel (typecasting :rolleyes:) in the Berridge nativity play around 1963. My mother, helped by my 13 year old sister, had to make a pair of wings out of wire and white crepe paper edged with silver tinsel! In those days, you couldn't buy such things...not even from Marsden's! Now, they are everywhere at very cheap prices! Every time I see them, I think of my exasperated mother. Wings were a tad lopsided but I went on, like the trouper I am!

• Like 2

:mouse:The only good rat is a dead rat, I know the emoticon is a mouse but they are a smaller version of the rat,shot a lot of them anall

Rog

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

They do say - or so they say, that if you can poke a pencil thoghh a hole then a mouse can squeeze through it too.  I'm currently catching several a day in the house.  They tend to come in for teh winter and then disappear during the warmer months.