a while back I made a thread about the sun holidays. well I'm quite impressed. although it's abit misleading, it's not 30quid at all but in total it's cost us 92quid for Monday to friday in a bungalow in st.Ives, I can't complain at all, rather excited!

anyone got any holidays booked this year?

while on the subject, can anyone recommend any car hire in Nottingham as the partner has a small car and wants to hire one to get to and around Cornwall.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

it was 30 to spend with sending the vouchers off then 62quid to pay directly to the holiday place. I feel quite lucky that we got st,Ives as I know how nice it is there and was my first choice. taking

This year my wife and I, will be going to the USA for 4 weeks, one week in Minot, North Dakota, and another week in Framington New Mexico, for the rest of the time we will have the use of a camper van

Nice to see you back on here again Pixie ! Not seen any posts from you for a while. BTW, have a lovely holiday.

is that for the 3 of younot bad really around 30 pounds per person costing us a lot more than that for a weekend 3 nights in skeggy this year the b and b we had last year gone to blackpool no one taken it over second one we had used before gone out of bussiness and looking round skeggy the other week so have quite a few othersbut had not let people know. one or two we know have had tobook elsewere including us we have booked into the county hotel but its about double what we paid last year so a bit less spending moneygood job i got my tax back.

it was 30 to spend with sending the vouchers off then 62quid to pay directly to the holiday place. I feel quite lucky that we got st,Ives as I know how nice it is there and was my first choice. taking our own linnin though so that's saved us a few quid. first holiday in years, last time I went away was Majorca 3 years ago with my partner after only being together a few months, but no drinking like that this time now we have little one with us, I'm sure it'll be a nice little holiday for us though. just gotta look online as we wanna plan our trip so we don't wake up each morning thinking 'what shall we do today' want to get as much sight seeing and visiting done as poss!

• Upvote 1

Just booked my summer flight to the UK. We'll be seeing Mallard 75 at York, Americana show at Newark, scooter rally Cleethorpes, and Stars and Stripes at Tatton Park and just booked a flight to San Francisco to see my eldest daughter and will be spending some time up in Lake Tahoe and the High Sierras as well Carmel. All thanks to Air Miles, and of course I will be doing a little shopping in Bulwell Market with lunch at Sandersons fish and chip bar.CaliforniaTrip2011May003.jpg

I use Enterprise Car & Van hire at Redhill. Not the cheapest but good newish cars and national coverage so if anything happens to your motor the nearest branch just bring you a new one.

My sons of down Cornwall again first week in June and as always he will hire from Enterprise.

Colin

This year my wife and I, will be going to the USA for 4 weeks, one week in Minot, North Dakota, and another week in Framington New Mexico, for the rest of the time we will have the use of a camper van and do a little touring, we were invited to go by 2 old friends, that I worked with at Greenpeace, They came over here for my retirement party and they gave me the plane tickets and the use of the camper as a retirement gift,

• Upvote 1

it was 30 to spend with sending the vouchers off then 62quid to pay directly to the holiday place. I feel quite lucky that we got st,Ives as I know how nice it is there and was my first choice. taking our own linnin though so that's saved us a few quid. first holiday in years, last time I went away was Majorca 3 years ago with my partner after only being together a few months, but no drinking like that this time now we have little one with us, I'm sure it'll be a nice little holiday for us though. just gotta look online as we wanna plan our trip so we don't wake up each morning thinking 'what shall we do today' want to get as much sight seeing and visiting done as poss!

Pixie , St .Ives is lovely and just visiting there will take up one of your days , assuming the weather is OK .You don't say where your accomodation is but I expect the bungalow you have will be on one of the large holiday parks across the bay nearer Hayle than St Ives and sometimes its better to use the park and ride train service at Lelant to get into St.Ives , as parking can be a nightmare in the season .

The nearest places otherwise are Sennen , Lands End , Marazion for St Michaels Mount and Mousehole . Wouldn't go much further than that, in the time you have , especially with a little one . Newquay and Perranporth beaches are great but the towns themselves are nothing special , so you may as well stay around St.Ives and Hayle for the beaches.

Also some of the attractions can be very expensive . If you like tropical plants then the Eden Project is about an hour and a half away but costs about £20 each to get in !

Our eldest has booked a caravan in the Vendee , France at a place called La Tranche Sur Mer for 6 days and then 4 days in Benodet in Brittany . Room for us and all we have to do is pay for our car ferry .

Easiest way for us is Plymouth - Roscoff and that costs £350 return !!! Takes about 7 hours crossing time and if its rough , can be dreadful .

Cheapest crossing is obviously from Dover but that entails about 8 hours drive this side and then same again t'other, plus probably an overnight stay . Must investigate to see if crossing from Poole is any better .

Just had me hols, 1 week on the south coast in W. Sussex, sorting out recently deceased mother-in-laws flat, then on to Southampton to board a brand new ship, for its maiden voyage to New York, then 3 nights in NYC, walking our feet off. I'm shattered! Ain't as young as I used to be, comes to mind.

Minot? I spent a few weeks there in the late 70's - not exactly what I would call a holiday mecca - but could be interesting if you have never been to that part of the world!

Pixie , St .Ives is lovely and just visiting there will take up one of your days , assuming the weather is OK .You don't say where your accomodation is but I expect the bungalow you have will be on one of the large holiday parks across the bay nearer Hayle than St Ives and sometimes its better to use the park and ride train service at Lelant to get into St.Ives , as parking can be a nightmare in the season .

The nearest places otherwise are Sennen , Lands End , Marazion for St Michaels Mount and Mousehole . Wouldn't go much further than that, in the time you have , especially with a little one . Newquay and Perranporth beaches are great but the towns themselves are nothing special , so you may as well stay around St.Ives and Hayle for the beaches.

Also some of the attractions can be very expensive . If you like tropical plants then the Eden Project is about an hour and a half away but costs about £20 each to get in !

can't remember where abouts it is now, but iv been told its just on the outskirts of st.ives. the resort is john fowlers I think.

went Cornwall back in my teens, we stayed in perranporth and the caravan was just on a cliff over looking the beach, beautiful. I sat and watched the sun go down there while the tide hit the side of the cliff and was lucky enough to see a basking shark, got a photo of that somewhere, I'll dig it out.

I remember we spent a day in newquay and visited the sea life centre which we plan to do as little one loves fish. we also went to this place where everything was in miniture. most of the time was spent visiting parts of cornwall and on the beach. my partner wants to see about a few hours swimming and seeing the coral reef, I want to find the museum of whiches, found it on the net and jt looked pretty cool. I loved st ives and can't wait to visit again, all the old pretty shops and hidden gems. I'm a sucker for an old tea shop so will deffinately be on the look out for one of those. yumm cream tea & pasties!

We had a week in Spain earlier in the year, the weather wasn't the best, but hey ho!

Easter found us camping for a few days in Staffordshire. 'Why Staffordshire' ? I hear you ask. Well it was the only county that had campsites open as there was snow everywhere else !!

In a couple of weeks we're off to Powys (Hey on Wye) camping again and pulling in the start of the fishing season too. I've joined an angling society this year that has a section of the River Wye and if you ask the clubs permission you can camp there too.
We also plan to go down to Cornwall for a week or ten days in the summer.

I've got a week away in Gloucestershire for the Royal International Air Tattoo in July probably camping again, but a mate of mine may be able to put me up in Swindon if he gets moved in in time.

Then late Summer should find us camping in North Wales for a few more days.

In disperse a couple more camping trips or "Premier Inn" weekends and I ever wonder when I'm going to get the lawn mowed/hedge cut/windows cleaned etc etc etc !!......... LOL

The best thing is, I'm planning a fortnight trip to Northern France for June next year, it will be SWMBOs 40th birthday and our wedding anniversary . We're having (Hopefully) a few days in Normandy around the 6th June which will be the 70th anniversary of D day then the rest of the time will be at a complex in Brittany. It has a 'Lake house' that you live on ,(It's a log cabin type thing which floats around on a lake all the day, you then more it up for the night,) unfortunately it is in big demand so you can only have 5 nights in it ! the rest of the time will be in a tree house !!!

As for car hire, you can't beet this lot for prices:-

Carhire3000.com

But go for a car that is 'full to full' (IE it comes with a full tank and you take it back the same) otherwise you get ripped off on the price that the car hire company that they send you too charge for a tank.

can't remember where abouts it is now, but iv been told its just on the outskirts of st.ives. the resort is john fowlers I think.

went Cornwall back in my teens, we stayed in perranporth and the caravan was just on a cliff over looking the beach, beautiful. I sat and watched the sun go down there while the tide hit the side of the cliff and was lucky enough to see a basking shark, got a photo of that somewhere, I'll dig it out.

I remember we spent a day in newquay and visited the sea life centre which we plan to do as little one loves fish. we also went to this place where everything was in miniture. most of the time was spent visiting parts of cornwall and on the beach. my partner wants to see about a few hours swimming and seeing the coral reef, I want to find the museum of whiches, found it on the net and jt looked pretty cool. I loved st ives and can't wait to visit again, all the old pretty shops and hidden gems. I'm a sucker for an old tea shop so will deffinately be on the look out for one of those. yumm cream tea & pasties!

The John Fowler site is at Lelant which is a few miles from St Ives .

Never been but if I've googled the right one ,the witchcraft museum is up near Tintagel / Boscastle and you would be better visiting there on the way down or on the way back , as it would be a bit of a journey from St Ives and back , especially if theres traffic .

yeah, I usually only come on here when I get on the labtop. barely ever! but the forum seems to work a lot better on my phone now, so I should be back again properly :) & we shall try. not for a few weeks yet though.

if your stopping in st ives be sure to have a lemonade for me in the sloop

I love this live webcam from Tregenna Castle , overlooking St.Ives . There about 5 different cameras in sequence but the best one is a close up of the beach just to the right of The Sloop . Also the shot of Godrevy Lighthouse .Not much good now as its getting dark but on a clear day you can see people on the beach and the waves lapping .

http://www.tregenna-castle.co.uk/tregenna-webcam/

Any other good location webcams ?

St Ives is a great place, I used to stay in the Regent Hotel when staying in the area.

I walked the South West Coastal Path, with some mates once, all 630 miles of it, it is my favorite long distance path and I would recommend it to anyone who is into hiking

even this time of day some of those views are beautiful. just been having a look :) will check back in morning, I'm usually up by sunrise, I bet its beautiful that time of day.

even this time of day some of those views are beautiful. just been having a look :) will check back in morning, I'm usually up by sunrise, I bet its beautiful that time of day.

Bit grim this morning I expect .

Heres another absolutely brilliant webcam that is on top of The Watering Hole pub that is actually on the beach at Perranporth . This one is a continuous sweep of live pictures covering nearly 360 degrees of the beach and sea . Zooms in and out but looks like the lens needs a clean !

Just press the arrow , it does take a few moments to load but worth the wait.

http://www.the-wateringhole.co.uk/webcam/

can't open that last one via my phone :( any other webcams worth a look? on notts or Cornwall