• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

it was 30 to spend with sending the vouchers off then 62quid to pay directly to the holiday place. I feel quite lucky that we got st,Ives as I know how nice it is there and was my first choice. taking

This year my wife and I, will be going to the USA for 4 weeks, one week in Minot, North Dakota, and another week in Framington New Mexico, for the rest of the time we will have the use of a camper van

Nice to see you back on here again Pixie ! Not seen any posts from you for a while. BTW, have a lovely holiday.

Where did you stay, mick2me?. My experience of Portugal is as stated by Beefsteak (#66). My wife loves it there and is always trying to get me to buy a place there. All my family live within half an hour away from me and my daughter has found she is having her first baby so I doubt that I'll ever leave Nottingham. I worked all over Europe and Skandinavia for many years and have visited many countries all over the world so living in another country has no appeal to me. I love Nottingham and that is where I will stay.

When I've visited the Algarve I've stayed in Lagos. I've never experienced any 'propping' (As Beefsteak describes it) and have always enjoyed my time there. It's a beautiful place with some excellent restaurants.

All I can remember about the place was a row of pubs and bars down to the sea. I will ask the other half.

Whatever its called, I think all would agree it annoying dodging english youths touting for your business even despite the

fact they can see you have 'all inclusive wrist bands'

Aha!, that was all part of the fun, (Getting somebody on an 'all inclusive' to spend a couple of quid in your bar)
The all inclusive deals were only just starting in Ibiza when I was there, (Mid late 90s) having been more of a 'Caribbean thing' particularly the Dominican republic, before then. There was one near us that were doing it , but they had a reputation for being boring so I managed to tempt a few my way (For my stunning entertainment!) Once you'd managed one or two word of mouth brought more in, so eventually you had 20 maybe 30 people who were on an 'all inclusive' package having a whale of a time instead of 'vedging out ' in a hotel that thought , as they had a captive audience, didn't provide much in the way of entertainment.

We go away next monday, cant wait! Were off to st.ives with our almost 2 year old daughter, can anyone suggest any places to visit? We want to plan our holiday before we go, to avoid waking up and not knowing what to do that day.

You have a car I take it? Mind you it isn't that far from St Ives,

You can't go far wrong with this place.

http://www.paradisepark.org.uk/

Loads to see and do for kids and adults! You get to feed the Penguins (I did !)

Keep your eyes open for discount vouchers in B and Bs etc

You have a car I take it? Mind you it isn't that far from St Ives,

You can't go far wrong with this place.

http://www.paradisepark.org.uk/

Loads to see and do for kids and adults! You get to feed the Penguins (I did !)

Keep your eyes open for discount vouchers in B and Bs etc

Yeah, weve hired a car for the duration because the other halfs car is too small and uncomfy for the 6hr+ drive down there! Iv just been looking on theyre website just before i read your post, looks like a must, so far i have the blue reef aqaurium (Went last time, and the other half loves fish and aquatics) and now paradise :)

haha.. you know me! Thanks for the welcome Jackson. Im never gone for too long :)

EEEK! 6 days to go, im so excited.Iv got our suitcases sorted and bought paige the most adorable polka dot one, its a cabin case so she can use it again or i can use it if need be. Bargain for 19.50 in tesco home plus as it looks like it'll fit in alot!

Any suggestions of 'Must's' to pack? I havent been on holiday in years and this is the first time with a toddler! im pretty sure ill forget something.

Hi pixie

Every time ive been to St Ives Ive burnt like hell sorry dont mean to state the obvious but make sure you have some decent sun cream especially for the little one have a great holiday and have an orange juice for me in the Sloop

Sun cream sorted 2x tubes of f50, daughter is impressed cos it goes on blue! Found out we can't check in till 4 and were leaving at 4am so well get there mid morning at a guess. Think we'll have lunch somewhere or go exploring till we can check into the bungalow.

Sun cream sorted 2x tubes of f50, daughter is impressed cos it goes on blue! Found out we can't check in till 4 and were leaving at 4am so well get there mid morning at a guess. Think we'll have lunch somewhere or go exploring till we can check into the bungalow.

When I was little, we often used to go to Penzance - by train overnight - about ten past eight from Derby on Friday evening. After a night kipping on the seats (and carefully waking up at half past one in the morning to see the sea at Dawlish) we got there at just before 6 o clock. We would then take a long, long time over a cup of tea in the station buffet, watching train after train arrive and disgorge another several hundred holiday makers. About half past seven (weather permitting - which it usually did) we used to go down to the beach (suitcases and all) and have a proper sleep until we could go into the digs.

We are off to perranporth in August,Hope the weather is better than last year, we treated ourselves and daughter and granddaughter to two weeks last year in August and it was so cold,rained practically every day and finished the holiday with gales,but such a beautiful part of our Island i can't wait to go again.

Just got back from staying in mobile homes on two sites in Western France , with son , daughter in law and 2 year old grand-daughter . The weather and a great pool complex made the second half in Benodet, Brittany really fantastic. All the locals we spoke to were charming and helpful , .Roads and driving was a pleasure , today, on the 2 hour drive up to the Roscoff ferry , hardly saw any other vehicles ! Didnt appear to be any charges or time limits parking in town or by the beaches either .Downside was that everything was really expensive , even using the hypermarkets .

As to essentials , anywhere where there is a gas supply for heating or water its worth taking a CO2 detector ,just for peace of mind .Grand-daughter got some nasty mozzie bites , so insect repellent might be useful if the hot weather keeps up. A few pegs came in handy as we were always hanging out towels or swimming stuff to dry .

:biggrin: Hi Pixie, happy to read that you're getting ready to take a well deserved holiday.......................

Whatever you do, being as you're destined for St Ives, don't forget to pack a decent camera. St Ives is well known for its Quality of Light, so you should be able to take lots of distinctive images.

The place is also renowned for its number of artists, past and present. 'Tate Modern' is housed here. In the past, I know that David Bowie had connections with the place, he may at one time have even owned a property not far from St Ives, whether he still has it? ..................

PS: Hope the sun shines gloriously for you and especially for the little one so that she can make lots of sand castles on the beach. Safe Journey .................... :biggrin:

Pixie , local news have just given a warning about an increase in jelly fish in Cornwall , caused by the hot weather . Says the sting isn't too bad but what with them and the chance of treading on a weaver fish which do give a nasty sting it would be worth getting the little one some beach shoes that she can paddle in .

Pixie , local news have just given a warning about an increase in jelly fish in Cornwall , caused by the hot weather . Says the sting isn't too bad but what with them and the chance of treading on a weaver fish which do give a nasty sting it would be worth getting the little one some beach shoes that she can paddle in .

Thank you for letting me know, we've just bought her new sandles and shoes but I'll have a look for the soft water proof shoes that are ideal for the beach now iv seen that :)

• 6 years later...
  • 1 year later...

We’ve just had a holiday to USA cancelled, should have gone on 11th May, which sounded very feasible when we booked it in November.  Feeling really fed up with this Covid lark now, the last holiday we had booked was to take us to Miami on 17th March last year, the day all flights to USA were stopped.  It’s not meant to be .......  We can’t even go to our place in Sandbanks for at least another couple of months.  

Lizzie,

My Son's got the opposite problem.

He's living and working in the U.S with 6 years left on his work Visa, but cannot come to the U.K to hoiliday, visit and to arrange selling his house over here which he's been wanting to do for nearly a year as he's bought a house over there.

If he does come over to the U.K he won't be allowed back into the U.S.

He's got a Green Card Residency permit application in, from nearly 2 years ago and it's due to be issued any day now, when it is he would be allowed back in.