I remember when I first moved to Clifton Estate (1954), which as most of us know, aint too far from W.Bridgford, well we scruffy kids thought everybody from Bread and Lard Island were millionaires, it's only when you get older that you realise how the nick name came about, they aint no better than ayone else! Another term for folk who came from ther was 'fur coat and no knickers' slywink

Do you remember when they advertised a soap powder and the slogan was 'Shining White ...' and they decided to use White Gates at Clifton? What was the name of the product, was it Daz or Omo?

I had an Uncle who lived on Widdecombe Lane and a sister that used to live on Rivergreen. Anywhere near you?

A ;)

I remember that when I was in the Army, some wives, not all I hasten to add, would put an OMO packet in their window when there husband was away on duty, I think it stood for 'old man out' and was suposed to attract the single studs - so I'm told!!!!

Do you remember when they advertised a soap powder and the slogan was 'Shining White ...' and they decided to use White Gates at Clifton? What was the name of the product, was it Daz or Omo?

Where was White Gates?

Whitegate Vale, Just off Green Land down by the Cop Shop

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I will try a late reply in the hope of finding a Cliftonite

My "Uncle Walt and Aunty Iris Hallam " you know the type of aunties I mean (Someone your mum worked with and was freinds for years) Lived on River Green in the 60s and 70s sadly Iris died of the big c in the late 70s but Walt is still alive "I know cause my my mum saw him in M and S in the city centre tail end of last year sadly she didn't ask his address

slywink

Sorry no time to move it , Off to work.

Mick

Hey Mick, I think I passed you yesterday mornin' on the A50. Geez, was that van motorin' smile2

Yes its the new plan to improve efficiency!

Promote half the staff to management positions.

They make the remaining staff work harder.

Guess which half I am in?

• 1 year later...

OMO boxes left in windows of married quarters when I was in the army had a whole different meaing - Old Man Out!

Sorry KatyJay - old age creeping on you know!

pemberton do you remember the saturday night hops at st fancis early sixties, its just that you mentioned the saints in another thread, i remember a lad i went to school with named mick dale, i,m sure he had the saints logo either as a tatoo or on his jacket did you know him

Hi mgread

Yes I do remember the Saturday night hops at St Francis, used to go there on a regular basis, I used to enter the twist Competition every week, and without sounding off, it was either myself and then girlfriend, Gwen Lambert, or Dave Miller and Yvonne who used to win, it got so bad that they tried to bar us from entering. Mick Dale was a school pal of mine who lived about five or sixdoors away from me, he still lives on Farnborough Road opposite where my Dad is still living. I see him regularly and he is still very well, small world ain't it.

Pemberton:

How did Bread & Lard Island get it's name,,,, & where did it start & finish ?

Mariag:

Persil always was dearer,,,,, cos it was more of a 'soap powder' (like Fairy 'n Dreft) whereas the others were 'detergents' (not so nice for my delicate hands,,,, or clothes).

Baz

PS: Where does this Rachael Joke live then,,,,, ?

Bread and Lard Island is the area covering West bridgford , Edwalton and along towards Wilford. It gets it's name from the fact that it was an expensive (House price wise) area to live, and ,to afford to live there ,the snobs had to dine on bread and dripping (Lard) as it was cheap.

Residents also are known as "Having Fur Coats and no Knickers" for the same reason!!

Two bob millionaires, etc