not sure whether I have said this before, but my grandad who had a small holding in ratcliffe used to collect pigswill from schools etc on a open truck and would then go and watch football whilst leaving his truck in bread and lard island for all those posh folks nostrils!!!

not sure whether I have said this before, but my grandad who had a small holding in ratcliffe used to collect pigswill from schools etc

mmmm,,,, I wonder if it was the same chap that collected from our shop (St Annes Well Road). This would have been the 60's. I can't recall the chaps name now, but he'd bring us a great chunk of 'real' pork at christmas time.

Of course, pork dosn't taste the same since 'swill' was banned,,,,,,,, but then again, we don't get 'worms' like we used to either !!!

My mate & I used to buy pigs from the cattle market for five bob. Keep 'em for 3 weeks & sell 'em for £1-10-00.

Another enterprise was selling pig manure. We got tons of orderes for the stuff,,,,, but we kept bustin' our 'trolly's trying to deliver it !

Sorry, 1960s was too late - he had smallholding until sometime in 50s, after having a wet fish shop in denman street (mentioned before) he used to take all of this swill back and my grandmother would boil it with bran added in a huge copper. They had to give the small holding up due to grans ill health... they then bought a corner shop in sneinton... this was just when supermarkets/larger stores were beginning and he failed because he couldn't buy the stuff cheaper than these bigger premises.... so folks went to them where they were cheaper..... this was in late 50s early 60s... so the small shop keeper was having to compete way back then.... before morrisons and tescos were here....

How many small independant shops are left now?

mgread

The lad who danced to 'Nut Rocker' was yours truly (Honest)

Just a bit - DJ was a chap called Dave, came from West Bridgford. Do you remember Ken Ward? He set up a group of us lads who started to dig out the car park at the bottom of the church hall, we used to get free entry to the Saturday Hop for that, one Sunday we all went down to do a bit more digging and, bu99er me, the vicar had hired a JCB.

• 1 year later...

As i said in other threads my friend Lesley and i were in the red cross sometimes we would go out to help or give talks at fund raising events some in very big posh houses fur coats and no knickers was not in it go in the front door or into big posh gardens great all show but when you got into the kitchen that was a revorlation to see in some of them. the posh cups and tea pots came from hire places look in the cupboards to find a cup or a teaspoon and you got a real shock hardly any that matched and usually so untidy some of the people who came along to help got a real culture shock

• Upvote 1
  • 4 years later...

wi plenty of salt

my dad alwaystook bread and lard or bread and drippimg down the pit for his snap said it took the dust of his mouth and throught and helped stop it going to his lungs so much.

• 3 months later...

BUMP

Should you ever attend a *do* at Greasley MW dripping sarnies are their speciality when they're laying on catering :sickly:

When ever there was any kind of Celebration in our family at The Grey Goose Gedling. We always had a plate of Pork Dripping on Crusty Bread on the table. Guess what always ran out first.

Black Pudding and Spanish Onion on Crusty bread, ran out Second. Pure Class us lot. :biggrin:

• Upvote 4
  • 1 year later...

As the years have gone by...........more and more people think they'r Posh,........own me own house live in nice area and brag about what they've got.......every thing you see on TV is aimed at these pretend 'Posh folk',God knows what folk we nowt think when they watch it...........I mix with folk from all sorts of backgrounds and can hold me own.......but I know the sort whos company I prefer..........real down to earth people who know and don't care whether they live on a council estate or a country manor..........and don't 'bull up' or put down.........

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

When I delivered to retail customers, those in rough areas usually gave a tip, the level of tips dwindled depending on the area, the posher being the poorest tippers.

Most arguments with passengers on the bus was in posher areas, WB & esp Edwalton the very worst !

The 35 route through Broxtowe never gave any trouble.

• Upvote 1

Know what you mean Catfan...............when iwas a 'granville' for Marsdens got loads of tips on council estates but hardly bugger all from Boundary rd west Bridgford or the posher parts of Chilwell............

Bus passengers in Edwalton would argue blue murder for a penny !...................................With those people so would I !

What made it worse was that some WB routes were shared between Bulwell & Trent Bridge Depots.

The snobs didn't realise what they were they were up against with some of our lot ! smile2

It was a simple case of retraining em ! I seriously believed that those routes were given back to TB as a result of the passengers losing the battle of words with the Bulwell lot.

• Upvote 1

#43: what about Aspley Mick??

As regards folk with wealth- most of my clients are wealthy busy business people.

The level of trust they place in me..in their absence.. inside the home or premises is second to none." Ham in the fridge..and you know where the tea and coffee is".

I get this all the time..a prying or nosey gassbag doesn't get much private work here.

I pride myself on honesty,disgression and a good level of workmanship.

The bad winter of 2011..lots of pipes burst...I was doing a job in Limerick... went upstairs to bleed a radiator... a woman was in bed on a laptop.." I'm about to order a pizza- care to come in and join me?"

Dawson and his tools retreated.

Years ago Ian Aspley was a brilliant place, when it changed in the '80s to Aspleh it was mostly infected with a lot of chav scum. My bus used to fly through there when I was unfortunate to cop a day off on that route, Bilborough Depot days were very happy times.

I once tried to get out of a shift on Aspleh when I pleaded with the service timekeeper at Bilb' Depot that I didn't know any of the bus routes in that area, all lies of course !

I think he saw through that when his reply was, "just follow the oil slick Catfan"....................In early winter morning darkness too !

Talking of Aspleh did I tell you the one about the Skegness donkey.

It goes like this, back in the mid 70s the whole of Broxtowe and Aspleh were having central heating fitted, I worked for Servotomic who were contracted to the council to complete the installations. We were all working on a price and my number one a guy called Cyril insisted on one a day. That 4 radiators, new boiler and new cylinder hence no time to hang about.

One day George Conner and his mate were working across the road from us and we noticed other teams going in to the premises and coming out bent double with laughter, I yelled out the bedroom window to ask what was going on but no one would tell, saying "go take a look"

About 4 o/clock we had finished our days work and went over for a look see, arriving we were pointed to the kitchen, in that type of house the bathroom was off the kitchen with the WC outside across a passage. We went in and found, the bathroom door had been cut in half horizontally............hay in the bath.............wash hand basin used as a water trough and a......... bloody Skegness donkey residing in the bathroom.

We were told it was on its winter holidays, how true that is I don't know but I hadn't laughed so much in years.

• Upvote 5