I remember paying a visit to the bike shop just opposite Carlton square when I was a kid to get new inner tubes for my bike and new brake discs, used to love bike rides as a kid. I allways remember it being there and as I drove past the other day noticing it's starting to look Abit worn out but still seems to open during the week. does anyone else remember or know the shop? how longs it been there for?

It moved there in around 1985 when tesco first opened

It was around

where the booze isle is now !!

I remember paying a visit to the bike shop just opposite Carlton square when I was a kid to get new inner tubes for my bike and new brake discs, used to love bike rides as a kid. I allways remember it being there and as I drove past the other day noticing it's starting to look Abit worn out but still seems to open during the week. does anyone else remember or know the shop? how longs it been there for?

Hey Pixie... You mean Rex Robinsons, as Beefsteak says it used to be where Tesco's Booze aisle is now, Used to be a Dealer for Puch bikes and Mopeds, and Raleigh I believe, old Rex used to always wear a brown shop coat ( like 'Arkright ' in 'Open all hours ', I think he must be long gone now, I think the guy who runs it now used to work with Rex.

Also... Do you remember there was a Chinese takeaway next door to 'Rex's ', and Crosslands Motorbikes for a while too... on the other corner going up Carlton hill I seem to remember an 'off licence ' ?

Oh and apologies if this has been linked on here before

Apart from it being Burton Road not Street.

I'm also pretty sure Rexs' smock was dark blue

I am actually still in contact with an old friend who was 'bessie' mates with Rex Robinsons son, his name was Robert (Or 'dobbo' to his mates) I'll try and get a hold of him and see if we can't glean some more info on the subject.

was wondering, and I wonder most times I pass it. what was next door but one to rex's? its now just abit of waste land, looks Asif it was a building of some sort. its been waste land for as long as I can remember with a metal fence around it that builders usually use around sites being worked on

Well Rex Robbos went into what was the butchers where I was the 'boy' for two years, next door towards the waste ground was Pat somebody or others bakery (A dozen cobs and a 'Sally Lunn' on a Saturday)

Next door up the Road was always boarded up , even when I was a kid, and I'm pretty sure that was always waste land too

what was the bakery is boarded up and looks quite run down. i don't remember it ever being in use. its a shame really... nice looking buildings too.

Used to be a proper one too. Big oven in the back of the room, and a counter at the front. (I can smell it now)

I bet health and safety would have a fit these days

• 10 months later...

Rex Robinsons. I remember having to wait till new year for the shop to re open after Christmas coz for Christmas 1978 I was given a brand new Raleigh Grifter but was not allowed to ride it in the dark coz I didn't have any lights. Rex was my salvation after what seemed ages. I'm sure the world used to stop for 2 weeks at Christmas back then