as I typed the previous thread I posted about the bike shop in Carlton I remembered how Sainsbury's on Arnold lane allways seemed to of been changing as I grew up. I remember it also as cost-cutter and I can't remember that it was before that. anyone else remember the shops it was before or what it was before it was even a shop, I assume the building can't be all that old.

also, the old grey goose pub is almost rebuilt as what looks like flats. which is a shame, it's a proper eye sore now.

i remember the Mucky Duck from my youth great place on a friday night (the only night i could afford to go in there)

iv heard something about that ages ago. where abouts was it?

Hi, I used to live on the estate behind the Grey Goose until i left Notts in the 1960s,and it was a fantastic pub in those days ,if you didnt get there early enough at weekends when there were live bands on you had to queue up till some customers came out,we used to call it Mucky Duck and Dirty Duck and Pixie i think the supermarket opposite was once called MICA (not sure how to spell it) but that was after i had left.Someone told me they are building a care home on the goose site,but not sure.

ah I get ya now! snook in there a few times for a cheeky pint before I was old enough to get served and went there to a few parties/events. anyone remember the bikers night held there? I used to live on that estate too carni. lived on Queens avenue when it was nice, then it went downhill so we moved.

I heard it was going to be s care home. but it looks like two blocks of flatd at the moment. I could be wrong though

Pixie, when we first started going in the Goose we were about 15yrs old,only drank Whitways cider,never more than two, couldn't afford more, thought it was like pop,till we all started wobbling and giggling,didn't know why,anyway every so often the landlord would get on stage and warn of a police raid so all us underage kids would take off in to the cemetary and wait till the coast was clear and then go back in,I was sad to see the Goose go but the custom had dwindled so much it couldn't have been making a profit,by the way i lived on Berry Hill Grove in the 1960s.

The Goose, Tavern, Cavo and the Carlton pubs, were all my stomping ground in the late 60's, 70's. 80's

Saw some great local bands in the Goose Thurs or Friday nights.

Could not believe when I was there a couple of years ago to see just a pile of rubble where the Goose had stood.

sad isn't it. I started drinking a lot in the tavern when I stil lived with the parents, was Abit of a walk but I couldn't stand the pheonix pub which was a much shorter walk!

then I worked at the inn for a penny, so I felt quite disrespectful drinking in the cheggo as they were like the penny's 'rivals'

now I live in netherfield I don't go to any pubs. I don't think I'd miss seeing Jacky bells if it were to be knocked down. soon as it gets a new landlord and starts to seem half decent it either gets raided by police or the windows smashed in.

much nicer looking than what theyv slapped there now!

so true mick like bazza i also tried all the bups he was talking about in the 60s yes i temember biker nights at them all but never stayed in any of them apart from thursday in the cavo for long to many peole in them that knew me and my dad and brothers so i prefered to drink further afield and the whitehart became my local for many years even more of my local when i got married and lived just round the corner from it. yes its a shame to see mucky duck gome and the carlton too.i am surprized that living on queens ave you had never heared of the mucky duck pixie frank starbuck who was the land lord there for quite some time used to live on queens he was a family friend of ours and my sister kath was big friends with his sister christine and at one point lived with themfor a little while.

Hi Piggy and Babs,We knew the Starbuck family quite well as their house was at the bottom of Berry Hill Grove we all went to same school,Christine was in same class as my sister all through school,Big Frank was just a bit older than us,he at one time kept the Manvers in Sneinton as well as the Goose,but i am not sure if it was him, or his younger brother or son ran one of them,We had our wedding reception in The Inn For a Penny in 1966 when it was The Royal Oak, I don't know if it is still there.

in for a penny still there frankie had the licience for both pubs but the younger brother did run the one in snienton carnt think of his name he was a little younger than me would perhaps be 60 now chris was a bit older than me but younger than my sister kath i used to babysit for her and her first husban when there kids were little.

royal oak as it was known had a good function room went to a few weddings there over the years and as a kid loved to go there for a night out with mum and dad as the bere garden was big and planty of swings seesaw ect to keep you occupied when it turned cold used to sit in skittle alley.

Piggy and Babs, Until i moved from Notts we mainly only used the Goose,Cheggo,and Tavern,we never went far because we didn't have much money,having a long distance relationship nearly all our money went on travel fares, but you are right The Royal Oak did have a good function room, upstairs was where we had our reception. we went in a few times with my sisters when we came to Notts visiting you probably served us if you were behind the bar.Another good place was The Miners Welfare,they had some good bands on in the 60s.

I worked in the penny till about 2 years ago before I fell pregnant. I worked most days and all day so if you ever visited then it was possible it would of been me serving :)

• 1 year later...

as I typed the previous thread I posted about the bike shop in Carlton I remembered how Sainsbury's on Arnold lane allways seemed to of been changing as I grew up. I remember it also as cost-cutter and I can't remember that it was before that. anyone else remember the shops it was before or what it was before it was even a shop, I assume the building can't be all that old.

also, the old grey goose pub is almost rebuilt as what looks like flats. which is a shame, it's a proper eye sore now.

sainsburys was a VG store in the 70s,owned by John Beaumont,who also had a store in Cotgrave,i think John was originally a Farmer in Cotgrave,i remember playing Cricket against him 60s/70s.

Beaumonts also had shops in R o T and Bingham if my memory is correct.

Thats right FLY2,forgot about Bingham,that also was a VG store,...i used to work for the VG set up,thats how i knew John Beaumont.

I lived in Saxondale Village at one time so frequented both.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Arnold lane, Gedling