I ALSO worked for the Coop in Bingham,R.O.T, Cotgrave and Bottesford.............in fact every Coop in Notts.

I used the Co-op a lot in Bingham. I loved living in the area, but I went looking for greener grass.LOL

• Upvote 1

Still ?

#26 Benjamin

That's interesting you working at the Co op in Bottesford, that shop on Market Street I used regularly for 25 years, so did me mam. There was a VG Store on the High Street which later became a Spar.

As to R O T looking at my photo collection of that area I can't recall a Beaumonts Store although there was a Fine Fare. Did you know Dennis Palethorpe first manager at the new Co op in at R O T and Herbert Scrimshaw butcher at the store?

Don't know the names you mention Robbie,i did Co-ops in the 90s and early 2,ooos,then again i would'nt remember names because we'd do a blitz on them for a couple of days,then perhaps not go back for 6 months,............loved working Co-ops great times and people,worked VG stores nationally in the 70s also good times with lots of happy people,if you read this Margie,used to stay at the Lamb in Ely when doing VG Stores,the one i recall was at Sutton owned by a mr Painter.

Yes Ian,an old collegue of mine owned it at one time Dennis James.,i also often did work at the Co-op across the road.

• 5 years later...

On page 1 of this thread it's suggested it was once called MICA or similar.

It's currently Sainsbury, they bought it from Beaumont Costcutter (and their other 5 stores around Notts).

Prior to Costcutter I beleive it was Kwiksave, it may have had other ownership.

Beaumonts had a few stores,,that used to be VG back in the late 60s early 70s,,,i dealt with the then owner John,,ABGibsons were their VG suppliers.

• 8 months later...

Used the 'Grey Goose'' a bit mid 60s..........i seem to remember it was one of the few Pubs that had a dance floor..sure i recall dancing there with Trina  .....put me right if im wrong about the dance floor Carnie ?

Ben, as long as you weren’t dancing at the Grey Goose with Trina on 26 March 1966 because I was there at our wedding reception!

(I can’t remember inviting you.  lol)

• Like 1

I got engaged there........just before your Wedding Margie.........only guests were workmates from Marsdens......

I allus thought the 'Mucky Duck's was a nickname for the 'White Swan. But what do I know?

7 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

put me right if im wrong about the dance floor Carnie ?

Yes Benj, there was a good sized dance floor  in the Grey Goose. Mum, her sisters and husbands, cousins and friends all used to go for a dance at the weekend. My younger sisters used to babysit my children for us when we came home to visit family, we had some great nights in the 'Big room' as we called it. The band, I think were called 'Reg Guest trio' were mainly playing at the weekend, but also live groups as well. My mum and her sisters would waltz around the room while the rest of us would be Jiving or Twisting! The last time I was in the Grey Goose sadly was for my little brothers wake in 2006.

• Like 2
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Arnold lane, Gedling