Man fined for leaving out bins too long

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 rsherdley

Follow

A householder has been fined £400 for leaving his bins out too long.

Andrew McCartney, 44, of Finsbury Avenue, Sneinton, was prosecuted after his bins were left out on a Saturday after a Friday bin collection.

I suppose with the vast majority of spies and other sundry pathetic state informants and `jobsworths' living off state handouts stories like this will escalate. Poor old UK.!

Man fined for leaving out bins too longWednesday, May 15, 2013 rsherdleyFollowA householder has been fined £400 for leaving his bins out too long.Andrew McCartney, 44, of Finsbury Avenue, Sneinton, was prosecuted after his bins were left out on a Saturday after a Friday bin collection.I suppose with the vast majority of spies and other sundry pathetic state informants and `jobsworths' living off state handouts stories like this will escalate. Poor old UK.!

£400 fine ??????? Must be more to the story ?

Seems fair.......as long as you can invoice the council the same amount , if they fail to collect the rubbish on the right day !

we all got letters about 3 years ago telling us that your bins should not be left on the pavements for more than 12 hours after collection timewe always take ours and the nighbours bins in and out thursday night ready for collection friday morning and back by teatime on a saturday hardly any of our other nighbours ever bother.

Only right as well.....................the poor drunks staggering home in the dark could fall over them and hurt themselves.

• Upvote 2

In my experience, if the bins are to be collected on a different day to the norm then the binmen put a sticker on your dustbin a week or two before the norm to remind you. This always happens on Bank Holidays etc. Everyone also receives literature from the Council with the bin collection dates in it. I think it's highly unlikely that the person would be fined £400 for an isolated case of leaving their bin out. I would assume that the person has ignored previous warnings from the Council and so they have taken action against them.

I've just heard that thousands of criminals were sent to Australia a few years back.
I think we should send them a few more.

• Upvote 1

Many people dont bother to report crimes to the modern police.

I had my door mirror stolen then the spare wheel and tools stolen on ASDA car park, right next to Long Eaton Police Station. I didnt bother to report them.

Tell you what Stephen ,,,hell of a lot of people would love to be sent to Australia at present.

However I would like to report another horrendous crime from Nottingham today.

A MAN has been fined £600 for dropping litter.

Aaron Wilkinson of Bestwood Park was ordered to pay the fine plus £182.50 cost by Nottingham Magistrates’ Court.

I was reporting suspicious behaviour at 1am the other day. The police weren't really interested until I mentioned that the building is a DIESEL FUEL STORE! they were out as fast as their car could carry them.

There must be more to it than meets the eye. A friend who has a daughter living on Lord Nelson Street across the Dale says that many people leave their bine and other stuff out overnight and longer.

• 3 years later...

When I think back to my childhood, and how the bins were emptied, today's dustbin men don't know they're born. Our council house was the 3rd in the block of 4, with a very long entry. The dustman walked to each back garden and up to the dustbin shelter. Humped the metal bin up on his shoulder and carried it back to the street, then back to the dustbin shelter. Times this by several hundred a day, they must have been fit, and walked miles.

• Upvote 3

Same method up untill the 90s Katy,remember the leather shoulder cover they wore,........i think todays wheelie bins are an eyesore,especially on streets with little or no front gardens.......

• Upvote 1

Today's dustmen don't seem to treat the wheelie bins with the same respect as the old metal ones. The latter they would put back where they got them from, the former they seem to just sling in the general direction of the house. Ditto with the plastic boxes for the glass they have these days. It always seems to me like today's binmen have been set a time they must finish by as if it was a race.

These days the bin men don't do much work - you do it for them. The householder moves the bin a greater distance than the bin men do.

As katyjay says, they used to walk quite a distance with a fully-loaded metal bin on their shoulders. Now, it's you who has to move the bin into position outside your house - they don't come and get it.

And once they get hold of the bin, all they do is move it from the kerb to the lorry and back again. Then you have to take it from the kerb and wheel it back into your garden. (...assuming they've returned the bin to approximately where they found it). You do a lot more work with the bin than they do.

When we first married we lived in the first house by the entry of a terrace of six houses. The bin men took the bins from the back yards along the entry at the back of the houses on their back, one at a time to the Bin Lorry. Lifted the lid and emptied the bins, then returned them to each back yard. Leaving no mess. They would acknowledge us and most of them became quite friendly. Fiver at Christmas

These days, we have Green for Garden, Brown for non recycle, Black for Recycle, plus small Green for Food waste. The bins have to be kept outside the front of the house, as everyone has had garages built, so no access to the back garden now. A real eyesore!

The bins all have to be dragged to the Kerb by us, The Binman then put them on some platform that lifts and tips the bins automatically, and replaces it back on the platform to be dragged on to the kerb by the binman. If we are lucky, we get the right one back? Bits of rubbish all up and down the road.No smile, no conversation. No communication..............No fiver at Christmas!

• Upvote 2

That's how it was when I lived on Grainger Street, off Meadow Lane. You normally had the same binmen, milkman and postman and they all got a tip at Christmas.

Nowadays, you don't see a milkman and the postman changes all the time. As for the dustbinmen, I had a small rug that I'd forgotten to put in the bin. I went to a binman and asked if I could throw it into the back of the lorry. He said I had to ask his boss. His boss said that I couldn't but when he turned his back I threw it in.

Needless to say, no Christmas box for them. You often read about binmen refusing to take bins if the lids aren't closed. It's silly really because the binmen of yesteryear would get tips that'd pay for a very nice Christmas for them and their families.

• 5 months later...

Yes Red,.............and I can't believe they are playing in 'PINK'............Imagine Dave Mackay, Joe Jordan,Tommy Docherty,Archie Gemell,Tommy Gemell,to say nowt of what Bill Shankly would say.................

• Upvote 2
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Rubbish & recycling Bins