As long as FIFA don't deduct points.

• 7 years later...

Here in Newark and Sherwood District we’re having bottle bins to be emptied every 8 weeks. I thought 8 weeks for a slightly smaller sized bin wouldn’t be enough. The bins were delivered down the lane today. They’ve left us two! :biggrin: The only house on the lane with two bins! We passed the truck that was delivering them and debated whether or not to tell them but decided against it.

I have had a bottle (glass) bin for a long time and don't have to pay for it. Anyone requesting a bottle bin now to replace the yellow bag we were originally provided with has to pay for it. I suspect that I will have to pay for it at some point, in which case they can have it back. Broxtowe Council.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Rubbish & recycling Bins

In our council area we have three bins, A green lidded 240 litre bin for garden waste, lawn clippings, weeds, prunings etc.  a yellow lidded recycling bin for waste paper, cardboard, plastics etc. These are collected every second week, our general waste bin, 120 litre, is collected on alternate weeks to the others.

There are a couple of things that come into play. 

1. Very few soft drink and beer bottles and cartons ever end up in the recycling bin as they have a 10 cent deposit on them and people save them and take them to a collection centre to get their money back. Remember the three pence deposit on pop bottles all those years ago.
  2. We are allowed to put food scraps and vegetable peelings in our green waste bin. We pay for the council to collect these via our rates, they then process the waste into mulch and we can then buy it back from the council for our gardens. What a great business model.
1 hour ago, Oztalgian said:

Remember the three pence deposit on pop bottles all those years ago.

I have a scar across my wrist from when I was five years old and taking a pop bottle back for the threepenny deposit. I tripped and fell on the cobbles at the bottom of Nottintone Place and the broken bottle slashed my wrist cutting a vein.

Hadn't thought of it for years now I can remember it as if it was yesterday and for some reason I've become all melancholy...   

Looking back to when we left the UK and bringing up three kids in OZ we just had one small galvanised rubbish bin and it held all our rubbish for the week.

Today we have three bins one bin collects almost exclusively packaging for recycling as everything comes in cartons, boxes, trays and heavy blister packs. 

Back in the day paper and cardboard would have gone on the coal fire or in the garden incinerator. Garden waste would have been put in the compost heap and then back on the garden. Today we seem to be inundated with P.E.T soft drink bottles in our waste streams, are we drinking so much more of this evil stuff? As a kid it was council pop from the tap or hose pipe, occasionally some orange cordial and as a special treat a bottle of dandelion and burdock, lime or cherryade from the Corona or Redgates man.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Brew said:

I have a scar across my wrist from when I was five years old and taking a pop bottle back for the threepenny deposit. I tripped and fell on the cobbles at the bottom of Nottintone Place and the broken bottle slashed my wrist cutting a vein.   

A very good friend of mine, a retired GP, fell while carrying a glass when she was 2 years old and lost an eye, it must have been horrendous for her parents.  For 75 years she’s had a variety of glass eyes and had a very active life, running marathons, paddling rivers and canals and acting as official doctor on an Everest expedition, whilst bringing up 4 brilliant kids.  She once told me she takes her eye out when on a long-haul flight,  must be a bit of a shock to anyone sitting nearby! 

As Brew kindly brought up the subject of scars, Iv'e got one on me wrist too, where I smashed a 'flu tube and a piece shot in the air and trying to protect my head, I raised my arms and the piece caught on my wrist..8 stitches, thank you doctor.

But me best scar is right across my tongue, where I bit it in half. Result...7 stitches !

The scar on my right wrist is matched by the one on  my left. Ten years separate them, one from a broken bottle and one from messing about with a wood chisel at school. 

They're faded now but used to look for all the world like a suicide attempt.

Whilst we’re bragging about scars I’ve got one on the left cheek (of my face!) from when I rolled a car over, one on the back of my left hand from an aeroplane crash and another on my left hand from a plastics reclamation machine incident. You wouldn’t want to meet me, I’m grossly disfigured and it took many years to find someone who would marry me! :biggrin:

4 hours ago, IAN FINN said:

Do you talk with forked fongue Beekay?

@IAN FINN, Nah, mate, my scar goes across the terrain, Port to Starboard and not Aft to Stern. It's what happens when you bite too hard !