Central TV series 'Boon'

Hello,

Hope I can help, I recall an article in the Evening Post about the actor who played Boon noticing the fish in the rectangular ornamental pond at Newstead were in trouble - gasping at the surface for air. The Fire Service was called and they used their hoses to pump gallons of water into the pond, thereby saving the fish. It was one of those thundery, very close weather occasions, which does deplete the oxygen levels in lakes and ponds. I'm guessing if Boon was filmed there that they could have used the Newstead Lake at the front of the house and, f not there, then possibly Clumber Park, just a bit further up the A614.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Apologies for being over 15 years late to the party,  but glad to be here finally and in a position to contribute.   The large country house you refer to would either have been Flintham Hall

Nice of you to drop in TNisT. It's always interesting to find someone who can provide information and fill in gaps in knowledge.   Out of curiosity, how did you come to find Nottstalgia and

Posted Images

Hello,

Hope I can help, I recall an article in the Evening Post about the actor who played Boon noticing the fish in the rectangular ornamental pond at Newstead were in trouble - gasping at the surface for air. The Fire Service was called and they used their hoses to pump gallons of water into the pond, thereby saving the fish. It was one of those thundery, very close weather occasions, which does deplete the oxygen levels in lakes and ponds. I'm guessing if Boon was filmed there that they could have used the Newstead Lake at the front of the house and, f not there, then possibly Clumber Park, just a bit further up the A614.

Nice story there does seem many ponds at Newstead.

Kind Regards

During the 1980's I worked for Central as a freelance armourer and worked on several episodes of Boon unfortunately not that one.

But if memory serves some of the location shots were done at the Langley Hall Hotel and there are several ponds in that area.

Colin

I worked at Central for most of the time they were at Lenton Lane. I put your query on a site for former Central Staff, and it's confirmed that it was the lake at Newstead Abbey. And that comes from people who were there at the time! (including the actual guy who rang the fire brigade to come and pump water into the lake)

• Upvote 2

I worked at Central for most of the time they were at Lenton Lane. I put your query on a site for former Central Staff, and it's confirmed that it was the lake at Newstead Abbey. And that comes from people who were there at the time! (including the actual guy who rang the fire brigade to come and pump water into the lake)

Many thanks Mr C

A rather young looking Freddie Jones in that first piece of film (He's a friend on my Mums side of the family )

Sherwood Zoo didn't have that many cages !!

I think it could be Twycross though.

• 1 month later...

I was up at Newstead Abbey in the week , I was trying to work out where about the filming was done on the lake, take it was the upper lake that was used for the scene, but I could not work out which spot, I know there are quite a few ponds also around the Newstead estate, the rosebay willowherb are quite distinctive on the clip.

http://s1058.photobu...onpond.mp4.html

• 3 years later...
On 26/08/2008 at 1:51 PM, avocet said:

Hello,I wonder if anyone can help me with finding a location that has bugged me for ages.In series 4 of the Central ITV programme 'Boon' all of the filming was done on location in and around Nottingham in 1989.There is one filming location that I just cannot find .I am trying to find the large country house that was used in it.

Here's a Link that will answer your question and probably help with other stuff that may be of interest.

http://www.martinunderwood.f9.co.uk/Boon/location.htm

• 2 years later...

Reviving an old thread, Boon Series 4 (first series set here in Nottingham) started last night on Drama channel, and is on again tonight. On at 01:40 if you’re a night owl, otherwise can be recorded for watching at a more reasonable hour.

• 3 years later...

Can any of you remember BOON that was on TV that show was all flimed in Nottingham, when it was a real clty, If any any can add names to Boon they please do.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Central TV series 'Boon'
  • 1 year later...
On 1/24/2017 at 8:10 PM, Rob Bettridge said:

On 8/26/2008 at 1:51 PM, avocet said:

Hello,I wonder if anyone can help me with finding a location that has bugged me for ages.In series 4 of the Central ITV programme 'Boon' all of the filming was done on location in and around Nottingham in 1989.There is one filming location that I just cannot find .I am trying to find the large country house that was used in it.

On 1/24/2017 at 8:10 PM, Rob Bettridge said:

Here's a Link that will answer your question and probably help with other stuff that may be of interest.

http://www.martinunderwood.f9.co.uk/Boon/location.htm

Apologies for being over 15 years late to the party,  but glad to be here finally and in a position to contribute.

The large country house you refer to would either have been Flintham Hall or possibly where I lived back in ‘89 and was lucky enough to return to permanently in 2021. Barnby Manor near Newark. I have very happy memories of Neil playing with the dogs on the lawn during filming breaks. I was around only occasionally during this period of my life I was studying at the Royal Ag College, Cirencester and in my early 20’s.

There were many motor homes on site for months serving as mobile dressing rooms and retreats for the stars. The catering teams, extras, lighting crew… my strongest memories revolve around the size of this gigantic entourage daily going into battle for a scant few minutes of usable footage per day of effort. What a roadshow. We provided the principal location for Series 4, the fictional hotel ‘Woodcote Park’ run by Harry and his season - long partner Helen. David Daker and Brigit Forsyth. Great times for which I yearn in painful wistfulness.

The gravel drive was irreparably damaged with sheer weight of heavy traffic in all weathers. Central TV paid for it to be replaced with the tarmac drive that is extant. All internal rooms used were extensively photographed before becoming film sets and were completely redecorated exactly back to original when filming had ended. If I may speak for the 4 of us in the family back then, 3 of whom are now long dead our experience with Central TV, crew and cast was a happy one. They had their act together. It was a pleasure to host them.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, The Name is Tim said:

Apologies for being over 15 years late to the party,  but glad to be here finally and in a position to contribute.

Nice of you to drop in TNisT. It's always interesting to find someone who can provide information and fill in gaps in knowledge.

Out of curiosity, how did you come to find Nottstalgia and this link to Boon ?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

HI TIM    Nice to greet a new member to our site   I'm sure you have lots of stories/info for   us.                                                                        Keep posting