Cycling On The Canal Towpaths

What a narrow escape you had there, and what a picture that would be, I can imagine you dangling upside down laughing, Once you are sure your not injured, you can laugh, i get in some right predicaments on my bike and if i'm not hurt i always end up laughing. I enjoyed your story but i hope you don't have action replay any time.

PS........Did your fellow Trikers see you. TeeHee.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm sure the poor lady is distraught.  At times like that one is not worrying about which thread one is in.   Re.  the digression in this thread.  It was a little banter about a side issue w

Over the years our cycle rides have reduced in length from approx 30milers a time, to 6/8 miles a morning. Still very enjoyable but can be a bit of a struggle up and down the canal bridges.  

This happens all the time TRD.  I doesn’t bother the majority of posters at all.  Just a single word can spark a memory for someone, but in this recent instance Chulla was referring to a comment that

waiting for spring to come too hoping for some nice spring weather next year so i can get out and about on my mobility schooter going to try going from town to beeston along the towpath get dave to drive up to the rylands park up and come towards town to meet me then back up to the cafe at beeston mariner for coffee and a nice piede of cakenot been there in ages. also want to do part of the tissington trail when the weather picks up again next year.

Lichfield is not far from us, we will have success next year. We had a good look every time we saw a red barge, but I have to say, even though we didn't find them, we enjoyed the fun of looking .

• 2 months later...

We had our first Cycle ride today since Chris had his Knee Op and it was great, it certainly lifted our spirits. We only did about 4/5 miles on the Canal Towpath, but the sun shone and we saw our first wild life since we fell of our bikes last August. Plantfit, hope you will be adding some of you'r photographs again for us all to enjoy and Katyjay, we will be looking out again for the Much Giggling! hope we have better luck this year. Hope the sun is shining in Nottingham for you all, as it is here in West Midlands. There are some lovely sights to see along the canals and I will definately take some pic's this year. :)

• Upvote 1

Oh Carni I wish I could get out on the trike or bike but I have been banned from any form of excersise for the time being by my doctor,severe blood pressure problems, he said any form of excersise is out of the question until this problem is sorted. I am dead jealous of your bike rides but wish you well on them, not be long before I get out and about again I'm sure, until then I have to content myself with just a bit of bike cleaning in the shed, great to see wildlife when out on your bikes though, stuff you would miss if you were in a car or on the bus, no substitute for getting out in the fresh air, happy cycling

Rog

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

DSCF1611-1.jpg

As we were cycling this morning, on the Shropshire Union Towpath, we came upon this unusual sight, one golden duckling swimming among it's siblings, chirping away and eating the crumbs we were throwing them. Never seen anything like it before. Can you experts on nature tell us if this is a just a natural event or a prank played by some twerp. At first I thought it was cute but then I realised it will be easy prey for the local Heronry, because of it's bright color. We will go again tomorrow and see if it is still around.

• Upvote 1

It happens a lot probably mated with a domestic duck/drake sometime in the past,Mallards tend to sleep around,if thats a polite way of putting it, I am jealous of your bike rides, I am still grounded by the medicine man, there is a charity bike ride in the next village on the 4th May, only 22 miles but not allowed to ride it as yet, I will ask again next week when I see the medicine man again,I've got a really nice clean trike and the road bikes are looking good as well just can't ride them yet thumbsdown

Rog

• Upvote 1

Plantfit,

Thank you for your info on the Duck. I did wonder if someone had just put it among the others, as a prank!

Sorry you are still out of action, but its best not to get on your bike until the Doc gives the all clear. As great as it is to get out and about, you know already it can be quite strenuous at times. I hope things pick up for you soon Rog. Get ready for some sore muscles if you are out of practice. ooch ouch :huh:

I go cycling daily. I have a short 3½ miles circular route, mostly uphill, that I take unless the weather is really good , then I go further.

Compo,

The word "Hill" is avoided at all costs by us, that is why we appreciate the Flat Canal routes.

We have been out of action since August because of Chris's knee problem but he has had his op now and we are starting our Towpath cycle rides again.

The circular route you use sounds good, but not the hills. Our daily route is approx 8 miles, with just about 2miles of that on the road. When we feel like going a bit further we head for a place called Wombourne, in the other direction, part Canal and part disused railway path. The circular route is 12miles. With the old railway station turned into a Café.

When we were doing the Scottish mountains we sometimes had to cycle several miles along hill tracks to get to the base of a mountain. We would then wild camp before tackling the mountain the next morning. On one occasion I stopped to allow Julie to catch up and a couple of mountain ponies came to have a look at my kit on the bike rack. Sensing food, one of them immediately began to tear into the cover and attempted to snaffle my dinner. I was forced to cycle on until it gave up any hope of a free feed!

Compo,

You and Julie certainly have a lot more energetic cycle rides than we will ever have, more like an expedition compared to our gentle tow paths. I hope Julie escaped the hungry Ponies, it sounds as if it was too remote to risk losing your food supplies to the wild life. Was this the same mountain you mentioned in the" Embarassing Moments Topic". slywink

• 1 month later...

We have just arrived back home from a tiring but enjoyable cycle ride on The Birmingham Canals Navigational System. Part of the journey had 21 locks in approximately 1.5 miles. Outward journey was very hard, as some of the paths at the side of the locks are still the original ones. Far to steep, narrow and rocky for me to attempt. I would say we rode approximately three quarters of them and walked the rest. Some really nice Nature along the way. We have seen: Dragon Flies; May Flies; Butterflies and Duckling, Coot and Moorhen families. We saw Coot families at two different stages of growth, The tiny ones had beautiful coloured heads and beaks, but the older ones where plain slate grey, they hadn't yet developed the White Stripe down their heads. Quite a lot of Pure White and Some Yellow Water lillies. It's amazing how the flowers can look so fresh and clean, growing in the dirty Canal water. Well everyone, We managed to stay on the Bikes today, Hope it's a good sign, I don't like falling off. It Hurts. :huh::biggrin:

• Upvote 3

That day we were heading for a bothy near Ben Alder in the central Highlands. The embarrassing moments were on Lochnagar near Balmoral and also on Ben Avon near Braemar.

Sorry to hear that Compo, perhaps she has developed a bit of Arthritis in there. I see in #45, by your account of the Scottish Mountain Cycle rides, that Julie's injury isn't stopping her from riding. Hope you both carry on enjoying your riding for many years. I expect you have some Spectacular views from the top of the Mountains Compo. It must be a great feeling to be up there, and all for free. Great.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...