Cycling On The Canal Towpaths

This happens all the time TRD.  I doesn’t bother the majority of posters at all.  Just a single word can spark a memory for someone, but in this recent instance Chulla was referring to a comment that went off subject previously.  Lack of post numbers is a bigger niggle for most of us.  

Was it an issue when Gem posted in a Word Game that her husband had recently passed away?   Not for me.  I rarely look at the Word Games these days but did notice the first few words she’d posted, so I read it.  

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm sure the poor lady is distraught.  At times like that one is not worrying about which thread one is in.   Re.  the digression in this thread.  It was a little banter about a side issue w

Over the years our cycle rides have reduced in length from approx 30milers a time, to 6/8 miles a morning. Still very enjoyable but can be a bit of a struggle up and down the canal bridges.  

This happens all the time TRD.  I doesn’t bother the majority of posters at all.  Just a single word can spark a memory for someone, but in this recent instance Chulla was referring to a comment that

When Mrs WW and I were fitter we often cycled from Aspley through Wollaton pk, through University campus to Beeston Rylands. Lunch at Tony's and then on to Trent Lock. Returning via Beeston wier along the Trent bank to Clifton bridge or the Beeston canal towpath and Thane rd past horizon factory. Another easy ride was home to Wilford bridge, along the embankment, cross the suspension bridge, past Forest ground to Home Pierpont, where we had lunch. Ride round the rowing course and back home for a cuppa.

• Like 1

Carni, we walked from Beeston marina to Meadows retail park,crossed the road (Castle blvd) to the Trip to Jerusalem for a shandy and packet of crisps each (romance is not dead) then back on the towpath to London road,turned back and walked back to Beeston,I think about 14 miles in total,I'd probably struggle with the trike though,some of the paths did get a bit narrow and the trike is 33 inches wide

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Re Gems posts in the Word Games topic, I for one was extremely reluctant to post after hearing of her sad loss, and wondered if Admin could create a new topic for her, so that we could all keep up to date with her predicament.

• Like 2

I'm sure the poor lady is distraught.  At times like that one is not worrying about which thread one is in.

Re.  the digression in this thread.  It was a little banter about a side issue which, while it is not the central issue of the thread, can often tend to happen in normal interactions.  Nobody is sitting around devising ways to hijack the thread.  It's an interesting topic with some good photos.  A bit of friendly back and forth makes it even better. ;)

• Like 8
  • 2 months later...

Because we are getting slightly unsteady and falling off our cycles happens more often than we would like, we don;t cycle much through the winter months. The tow paths can become rather treacherous for the not so youngies like us.

The last two days we have finally ventured out on our trusty steeds, not too far though. One of our rides takes in part country side, built up area and mostly Staffs and Worc tow paths. Around nine miles done slowly as to enjoy the experience.

The Narrow Boat season has begun, so interesting to watch and wave as they go by, and also the tow paths were full of people walking and enjoying the change in weather.  It is wonderful how the canals are being restored for holiday use, it gives so much pleasure for so many activities.

As for the wild life, at the moment it is very quiet, I know what is probably happening. The Ducks, Herons, Swans, Moorhens, Koots and my favourite, though quite elusive little Dippers are probably nesting. The canal will soon soon be bursting with all the fluffy little bundles that slow my bike ride to a stop every few yards for Aaaaah moments.

We are going to take it easy until we are back to being fitter again, afraid we have both slightly grown width ways over our sedentary winter months, so apart from being our favourite pastime it will be doing us good health wise. Come on Sun Shine.:biggrin:

• Like 2

Riding along,on my push-bike Honey,

you look so pretty,

just keep Pedalling carnie,    

• Like 1

As you were singing this song. Come on Margie, the NS choir. I'll leave the next line to you two.:biggrin: Good the start the day with a laugh.

Well would you believe it, finally got round to getting the cycles out so i  thought I would check the weather for the next few days here in Wolvo. Rain, Rain Rain and more Rain! Ha ha. Oh well, We can always have a sing a long instead.:rolleyes:

Carni and Ben, I had to look up the words of the song, so that's cheating isn't it!  I remembered the music but not all the words... at that particular time I didn't listen to music much as I had 3 little kiddies to look after.

I just wondering, Carni, what happens when you pass a pedestrian on the towpath?  Do you pass on the left (or right, like boats) or get off your bike and walk?

Hi Carni - have you cycled the Trent and Mersey between Gt Heywood and Stone? If you do, please pop in for a cider or cuppa. Our front room, now my gym, used to be a chandellery for the boat users. Saracens Head is the canalside pub and one of my locals. Great food and beer. thumbsup

55 minutes ago, carni said:

Because we are getting slightly unsteady and falling off our cycles happens more often than we would like,

Might be time to invest in a couple of recumbent trikes  thumbsup

Could your "little dippers" probably be Little Grebes? Dippers live by fast moving waters like the Dove or Derwent in Derbyshire and similar venues, just a thought

Rog

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MargieH said:

Carni, what happens when you pass a pedestrian on the towpath?  Do you pass on the left (or right, like boats) or get off your bike and walk?

Hiya Margie, This is a subject that can be quite controversial so to be honest I don't get into discussions about it if avoidable. I will say that we follow the Canal code every minute we are out cycling. Sometimes you have to assess the situation and do the safest and politest option. Sad to say in an ideal world, we could all work together. BUT. that will never happen. I have posted this link before, but it gives the Towpath code on the 'Share the space' section.and this is how we ride among pedestrians.

,https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/about-us/our-campaigns/share-the-space-our-towpath-code

Plantfit, Knowing us two, we would probably get so relaxed in the recumbent position we would probably nod off. You are probably right about the Grebes miduck. All I know is, the ones we watch are smaller and plainer than a duck (quite cute) and they suddenly upturn, and appear a few yards away. The fun is guessing which way they will travel:)

PP, We have never cycled the Trent and Mersey, but have driven in the area many times. Thank you for your invite,  a cuppa will always be welcome if we do make it that way, you never know with us 'Gad Abouts'

• Like 4
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 9/1/2015 at 3:32 AM, carni said:
On 5/16/2013 at 5:53 PM, katyjay said:

carni, if ever a bright red narrow boat called Muchgigglin' comes by, give 'em a shout and a wave, it's my hubby's cousins. They're always out and about on their boat, on one canal or another. You'll hear it before you see it, the engine is an old one that chugs!

After having no luck spotting the Muchgigglin' over the last two years. (Even though we have had a lot of laughs searching) We have just had the pleasure of meeting Your Hubby's cousins Katyjay and not only have we seen the elusive Muchgigglin, but treated to a guided tour by the two lovely people who own it. Many Thanks Katyjay. We got there in the end. Sorry still no luck!

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u644/dazclang/962944ec-b803-4d03-98be-d0a884d5d19d.jpg

What's the link to Carni? I clicked on it and all I got was Photobucket adverts. Was looking forward to seeing a narrowboat. From what KatyJ said, it sounds like the boat has a Bolinder engine.

Hello BK, I tried to show a photo taken on 'The Muchgigglin' but what ever happened 'I don't Know'? I posted the picture on Sept 1st 2015, in this thread. I tried to quote it today, but somehow it went wrong? The picture is still there but I don't know how to get it to come up, it just went to photo bucket? On looking at the picture, I realise you can't see much of the narrowboat, just us and a few cake crumbs. Have to go out now, but I will have another go when I get back.  Unless our saviour CT has a go before I get back. Please!

The photo is on page 3, scroll down quite a way.

26 minutes ago, carni said:

Have to go out now, but I will have another go when I get back.  Unless our saviour CT has a go before I get back. Please!

I've had a look at the photo in question and I can't make it work either. It seems to be your Photobucket account which won't allow the photo to be quoted.

I've tested photos from other people in other posts and they all work ok, so there's summat funny going on with your old PB account. Are you still using it, or have you moved to another system ?

I just stopped using photo bucket and went onto post image when most others did. I think they ruined a lot of pictures ? I can't remember doing anything special, I just stopped using them.

A sight you don't see every day. Emptying the Pontcysyllte aqueduct for annual maintenance into the River Dee, 126 feet below.

photo-editor-ds-1600688654549.jpg

• Like 1