Cycling On The Canal Towpaths

Hiya Katy jay. Feeling a bit more comfortable lately,so we have been off on our bike rides., early mornings though in case it gets to warm.

Guess who was moored up by Autherly junction on the Staffs and Worc canal this morning, The very lovely 'Muchgigglin'. Tone was by the open door so we spent a little while having a chat, Julie was by the side hatch.

It was good to see them both as we always look out for them on our rides, but never expect to see them.

Looking forward to seeing Mr and Mrs BK, if you are ever sailing in our area, let us know and we will look out for you.:biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm sure the poor lady is distraught.  At times like that one is not worrying about which thread one is in.   Re.  the digression in this thread.  It was a little banter about a side issue w

Over the years our cycle rides have reduced in length from approx 30milers a time, to 6/8 miles a morning. Still very enjoyable but can be a bit of a struggle up and down the canal bridges.  

This happens all the time TRD.  I doesn’t bother the majority of posters at all.  Just a single word can spark a memory for someone, but in this recent instance Chulla was referring to a comment that

If you are referring to me Carni, much as I would dearly love to cruise again, I'm afraid we would need a bit of assistance nowadays, as 'er indoors is not so nimble on her pins and would find it difficult hopping on and off the boat or managing the locks, (she flatly refused to drive). We've both said we miss the canals and it's been a few years since we've splashed around. I have to make do with my video travels or relive events with YouTube contributors.

Take care Carni and stay safe.

• Like 1

Thankyou BK, Will do our best to take care. I have got a couple of smashing bruises from falling of my bike last Friday. 

We had got to within 80yds from our house and for some reason I just lost my balance. Must say the tarmac was very hard! 

My pride was more painful than my knees at the time?

I hope you both enjoy your travel videos for many more years. I expect you have some happy memories  to share together.:)

Hi Carnie.

So pleased you came across Tone and Julie again and had a chat.  i didn't know they were afloat again, I only know if they post pics on FB.  Thanks for the update, we were going to visit them next month while staying in Kent. But alas, another blooming trip cancelled. Sorry you took a tumble, I bet you are feeling it today.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, carni said:

I have got a couple of smashing bruises from falling of my bike last Friday.  We had got to within 80yds from our house and for some reason I just lost my balance. 

You were probably thinking of summat like scoffing a chocolate cake when you got home, so you stopped concentrating on your bike.

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

Over the years our cycle rides have reduced in length from approx 30milers a time, to 6/8 miles a morning. Still very enjoyable but can be a bit of a struggle up and down the canal bridges.

We have progressed from searching for the illusive Kingfisher, through tracking down the tap tap of the Woodpecker, hiding behind the tree, having us on.

Living in a very built up area means we don't see much wild life and get our enjoyment from our bird feeding and watching them bathe in our bird bath in the garden.

This probably seems odd to anyone living in the countryside, but to us townies, I am sad to say we have not seen a Thrush for probably  three years or so..............Until now. The last three days we have found the one and only Thrush around our canal area. Singing his/her little head off, and in the same tree. Are they territorial? Anyway we are thrilled at the little Thrush, and from tomorrow we will be taking some foodie treats, to encourage it to be our friend. Can,t wait to see if it is in the tree again tomorrow. Love it.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, carni said:

Over the years our cycle rides have reduced in length from approx 30milers a time, to 6/8 miles a morning.

But at least you can still do them :).  There are people younger than yourselves who'd struggle to get on a bike at all !

Six to eight miles, easy peasy........... when I was a teenager! Thirty miles? in my dreams... Now days six to eight yards is more realistic...  

When I was at school - Fairham - I went on my bike every day, and I didn't have school dinners so I came home at midday.

According to Google that's a 1.5 mile journey each way; so I was biking 6 miles a day, 5 days a week, for 7 years.

I wonder how much I'd manage now.

Just about manage 20 minutes on the indoor bike now. In my 60's I covered over 260 miles in 12hours several times. Some difference :rolleyes: 

I did manage 16 miles on my 83rd birthday though - it was the lycra that did it for me :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2