What did we look like

I was just reminiscing about the clothes we used to wear in our young teen days before we went out into the world and earned a wage,no stretch denim in those days to get our jeans tight we would lay in the bath in the jeans to shrink them, and split the seams at the ankle and taper them ,sewing them together while wearing them, we had to undo them to take them off,skirts tapered so tight it was impossible to get up steps on the bus,i remember having to jump up the steps on the waltzers at the fair down Neddo,a great laugh,We used to put studs across the back of our panther jackets giving our names,hoops in our under skirts to make our skirts stick out and if you sat on the hoop up went the skirt at the front...never did it on purpose honest,also sugar water to starch them as well,baseball boots and tight skirts,really classy gals,and a beehive so high it took a packet of grips and bottle of pompadour lacquer to keep it there,and to finish for now WHAT ABOUT THE WHIRLPOOL BRAS GIRLS,you think you look dead cool until you look down and see you have a DENT on the end of each bosom,oh the shame.LOL

• Upvote 3

i never had any trouble filling mine never needed cotton wool.mine was a leather jacket with studs in but nevet had my name on it so if mam or dad saw me in it i had borrowed it cause i was cold.

Didn't wear all that gear, I was a Mod! White trousers with home-made red, white and blue circles on the bottom (like RAF symbols) and a navy nylon coat, until I had enough money to buy a navy full length leather coat.

Not sure what i was, not mod or rocker,i just wore what i felt like,i may have been on the tail end of 50s style,no particular fashion,never had the money to buy much,the kids in the film Grease remind me very much of how we dressed,not Sandy Though.

Didn't wear all that gear, I was a Mod! White trousers with home-made red, white and blue circles on the bottom (like RAF symbols) and a navy nylon coat, until I had enough money to buy a navy full length leather coat.

Yes indeed, mods that were too skint to buy from Jeffs etc, had to make do with 'economy style', I had the full length navy nylon coats (Like posh pacamacs) & could only afford Wrangler jeans, Levi's were ten bob dearer! Remember getting my first 'Reefer Jacket' complete with anchor emblem buttons from Wakefields, that was the 'Mutts Nuts'....................... slywink

• 3 months later...

Tec Sac. Probably made in China were about Thee cheapest denim going! Varlson was a fairly good brand, not on par with Wrangler, Lee or Levi's though.

I don't recall Brutus being around in the 60's though, I believe the 70's were their time.

It was certainly the time they advertised them heavily, remember David Dundas singing Jeans On?

It had the words changed to " I pull Brutus jeans on...... "

Think I was an inbetweenie! End of Mary Quant era and into the glamrock years of the 70's, but more like yer hippy rock chick. Cheesecloth and maxi dresses..

• Upvote 1

Men also wore 'winkle pickers' and I'm told that a copper once asked a lad if his toes went all the way to the end of his shoes. The lad asked the copper if his head went all the way to the top of his helmet.

• Upvote 3

Carni, you have made my day ! your comments brought it all back especially having to unpick the stitching on your jeans to get them off

Will now rummage in old photos to see what I can find.

• Upvote 1

Strange to tell, I only ever had one pair of jeans - when I was 9 years old. They were undoubtedly of the inferior sort of denim. It was like wearing cardboard trousers, and I hated them so much that I have never worn a pair since.

I remember Sky Bue eye shadow in a stick, like a lipstick, and layering the black eye makeup on in a thick line and a point up the outside of the eye, and the only color lipstick had to be Baby Pink, a High Bouffant and to get the fringe nice and flat we used to sleep with sellotape across our foreheads, little kiss curls in front of our ears, held in place with hair grips until time to go out and then loads of lacquer to keep them exactly in place. Hiltone and Peroxide to make our hair as Blonde as possible ( so dry it resembled Candy Floss in sea air), Sky Blue three quarter jeans,Baggy Jumpers pointed stilettos, Shapeless Shift Dresses and still a few twinsets of straight skirt and box shaped tops around. And a Park Drive and Bitter and Lime in the Grey Goose to finish off.

LOL I think your in for a bit of a shock, Fings aint what they used to be.

Got the photos but there all in black and white, Soz Lads and Lasses, that Dusty Springfield is an old Granny now, i'd still Love a few glasses of Bitter and Lime and a Parky though. See ya soon. :Kiss:

• Like 1

In the 60s I remember going to London to Carnaby street and Petty coat lane markets to buy some trousers and a linen jacket I thought was wonderful at the time.

Later in the 70's and onwards we all wore Wranglers jeans, my brother older than me was a bit of a Del Boy, and knew someone at the Wrangler factory in Calverton, this was before the factory shop there opened, so only staff then could buy cheaply.

Also remember deciding with my brother in law and a few mates, to go to the Isle of Wight pop festival, one of my apprentices at the time, Phil, wanted to come as well (he was more of a mate than a work colleague) anyway we met at my house ready to leave and Phil rolled up looking ready to go to a wedding ! white shirt grey dress trousers black shoes etc.

His mum was very up market and wouldn't allow him to wear jeans and he was very nieve.

Couldn't have that as would not have been cool, so my wife lent him her spare Wranglers which he wore for 5 days till we got back.

Phil certainly grew up quick that week end ! and really became one of the boys.

I still catch up with him when in Nottm and we often reminiss about that week end on the IOW.

We had loads of clothes from the Wrangler Shop when we used to come back to Nottingham for family visits, my husband had lots of the wrangler shirts with i think pearlised buttons, all gone to the charity shop now. Sounds like you have some nice memories and still in touch with your friend to reminisce.Great adventure going to Carnaby Street, I bet you saw some sights up there, i have only seen it on the Tele and some of the clothes the people were wearing were nothing we would ever see in our villages Lovely memories for you.

• 3 weeks later...

I can remember the under skirts made from netting so your dress/skirt used to stand out the further out the better you used to look like a lampshade, and don't for get your cottage loaf hair style and later hair at the side of your ears to look like wings.

I used to get trendy clothes from Lawrences down Hockley. I bought a flowered shirt and flowered lace tie. Then my dad went down and bought them for himself. He still has the tie.

I was quite lucky as my brother lived in a Mews off the Kings Road and I spent at least one weekend a month with him.