It's looking a bit black over Bill's mother's!

I found the TV movie "What Price Coal" a short time back, been years since I saw it, I have Barry Hines book...Anyroads, I put it on and watched it, the missus couldn't understand a word they were saying, jeeze I thought these Yanks understood English....Especially being married to me for over 30 years now.

I'll have to try a few of the old sayings on her and see her reaction.

• 9 months later...

I'm a big cricket fan and listen to the BBC commentary team frequently. The subject of it getting a little dark over a ground (I recall Edgbaston) and they were saying "Its a bit black over Wilf's mothers!

The phrase has spread to Russia, I sometimes use it, much to the hilarity of my wife's family (possibly because it retains an English quality despite the translation)

Eta nemnoga cherny nad materey doma Billa....... should you ever find the need to use it!

• Upvote 3

Hi John. #26. Please forgive a bit off topic. I watched that play over the last couple of nights. Thought it was quite good, but I had trouble with some of the accents so your wife shouldn't feel too bad.