i know one lady who was a cusin of the poundals her name is jean harrison now and lives on cavendish rd carltonshe was a marshalbefore marrage and the sister of the man i called uncle albertwho lived with my grand mother for severalyearsfrom when she lived on colwick rd opposit pounalls yard some of the pounallbrothers also lodged with her at one time.

Hi Shielastain, & welcome, hope to read your posts/memories soon..........................

• 11 months later...

last time i saw jean she was livingon the main bingham rd near home peirpoint

I remember Jacky Pownall's yard being on Alfreton Road during the 50's correct me if I'm wrong.Also just down the road from him was Skills motor coach depot

Now youv'e got me it was only a small yard on a corner I think just down from canning circus.The yard would have room for a small truck and scrap was piled high on different levels gosh this is 60 years ago,I don't think it was over Forest Road.

Its with you saying Skills just down the road, was it on the same side.

Maybe opposite side where newer buildings were? Jersey Kapwood etc.

If memory serves me right, Jackie Pownall's on Alfreton Rd was on a corner and was surrounded by silver coloured corrugated tin. I can't remember a shop but that's not to say there wasn't one. I do remember taking the 22 bus though with a bag of rags, and getting a few coppers for them.

we always took our rags to trickets on trent lane mam sed he paid more but if dad took rags in he always took them to poundalls so i dont realy know if there was any diference or dad just got a better price from them.

I remember rags being taken in in the early 60s Meadows.

I recall though they were classed as rags, they were always washed and clean.

You got the most for wool then Cotton. No manufacture fabrics as far as I remember?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

3d back on the bottles - that made sure they got recycled, didn't it?

Not with fishermen it didn't...we used to fish loads out wash 'em and return 'em. Fishermen in those days were just as bad for litter then as they are now.

• 2 weeks later...

Dave 48, There are no photos of Derek with a mustache but he was a stocky man :) The next door neighbor was a Derek also and he had a mustache lol Perhaps your memory has melded the two :) The other Derek was called Eric by friends and family just to confuse the issue further lol :)

• 4 years later...