another one i forgot bournes factory with its tall chimney a landmark in netherfield also worked there for a while too remember learning new dances in the theatre dance halll above the canteen at lunch times still see some of the guys who used to work there and who used to bring there records for us to listen and dance too in our lunch break

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When the Contemporary Art Gallery was built at Weekday Cross, someone associated with its construction said that it blended in with the surrounding architecture - High Pavement. Where was Specsavers w

It is thirty years ago that the great benevolent monster in the village I was brought up in fell silent for ever. At its peak it employed just under 2,000 men and was the focus of a thriving village.

Mmmm, not much left then Phil ! 

DAVID W, Lewis Street was off Alfred St Central, on the left going down towards Commercial Square and St Anns Well Road. Truman Street came before on the same side, then after Lewis St came Dane St and Cooper St. They all ran up to join Peas Hill Road.

And just to prove it.......and bring back a few more memories.....

lewis3.jpg

And just to prove it.......and bring back a few more memories.....

lewis3.jpg

Thanks Cliff Ton ,

On the 1901 Census my grandparents lived on Trueman Street and on the 1911 Census they were living on Lewis Street. Shortly after that they moved to Carlton Hill where my father was born .

They both died way before I was born and I don't remember my father or any of my aunts and uncles even mentioning that they lived anywhere else but Carlton Hill. It was only since the internet age and after all my relos had died that I was able to find any of this info .

Shame as I could have visited those streets when living only a few miles away .

?...with the benefit of hindsight and all that !

Not one building, but a group of them.

drury-1.jpg

Drury Hill. Went up and down there hundreds of times when it existed, getting to and from Broad Marsh bus station

Was it Gee Dee that had a toy and model shop on Drury Hill or was it Beecrofts?

The Druids Tavern, High St. Arnold; with Eric and Hilda in charge.

Oh, and Bonnington cinema where I shall never forget seeing Davy Crocket when I was a small boy.

The old Post office on Worral Avenue, Arnold and the Steps leading up to Woolwoths on Front Street, Arnold.

tom the landlord at the white hart 60/70s went ther for a few years when he left whitehart before he retired to mablethorpe.

For me the Victoria Station. I used to train spot there and in the mid 60s get the ramblers train out to Derbyshire for the day.

Wonderful!!

• Upvote 1

The Forum cinema, Aspley Lane, (had an octagonal clock inside) and the group of William Crane schools around which Aspley was built.

I'll echo both of those, born on minver, never attended William Crane, but had many an evening in & around the grounds.................scrumping!!

The old ice stadium, central market, William Crane schools, the nursery behind our house, pubs like the Cocked Hat where I used to play, and Barleycorn, & Red Lion where I'd stand on the doorstep trying to get me mam's attention for more pop and crisps. Harpenden and Holden Squares, Cinderhill Pit, Fowlers Pond, the list goes on, everyone of them gone now.

Our bonfire used to be built on the site that became the Nell Gwynne pub on Oxclose lane. It had a long alley skittles game out the back and was always a rough pub. That has now gone too.

I recall an old lady complaining about the picture of Nell Gwynne on the pub sign. She said it was indecent and immoral. You could see just a nick of cleavage above the blouse!

:rotfl:

Must have thought she was a right old trollop! The Barleycorn had a skittle alley in the back too.

Can you remember Napoleon Square, bottom of Wendover?

• 2 weeks later...

kath i had forgotten the old ice stadium used to go most friday nights late 60s and then of down whitehart for last coupleit was a sad day when central market went too lots of stalls to keep your attention and lovely mushy peas and mint sauce.

Compo # 34 comment ....... I was talking about the old Arnold Woolies the other day with friends and I think it was on Ravenswood Road and Worrall Ave side of Front Street, near the Cross Keys, with steps going up to it. They insisted it was on the other side. What say you? Other nice old buildings long gone at the other end of Front street are the Library and swimming pool, demolished to make way for Sainsburys and then Wilkos.

sure poobear is wright lizzieone of the ones i used to go to do stocktaking