Just wondering, Is there any buildings long gone from the Nottingham streets that held memories for yourselves. For me, Its Godfrey House on Burton Road/Main Road, Carlton. An ancestor built it, A very grand house in its day, long gone now. Whats yours?

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When the Contemporary Art Gallery was built at Weekday Cross, someone associated with its construction said that it blended in with the surrounding architecture - High Pavement. Where was Specsavers w

It is thirty years ago that the great benevolent monster in the village I was brought up in fell silent for ever. At its peak it employed just under 2,000 men and was the focus of a thriving village.

Mmmm, not much left then Phil ! 

Vicarage street off Alfred street North ,i lived there with my parents and Grandparents in the early 1950s,and the blacksmiths on Alfred ST North where my lovely Granddad worked.And all the corner shops up Alfred Street,Who's names i have sadly Forgotten.

Loads of places from my past ....... Ashwell Street Infants in Netherfield, the house where I spent the first 8 years of my life in Netherfield, Kingswell Junior School in Arnold, Digby College and the building where I worked for 8 years on High Church Street in New Basford.

Vicarage street off Alfred street North ,i lived there with my parents and Grandparents in the early 1950s,and the blacksmiths on Alfred ST North where my lovely Granddad worked.And all the corner shops up Alfred Street,Who's names i have sadly Forgotten.

Carni , did you know a Lewis Street off Alfred Street ? Or was that demolished earlier ?

I was just looking at my grandfathers entry on the 1911 Census and that's where he lived with his family before moving to Carlton Hill prior to 1913.

The Shell petrol station on Castle Boulevard - used to be where the Park Apartments are now.

Parents owned it and I spent many days working there, weekends and school holidays and the like back in the late 50s, early 60s.

Still trying to find photographs of the place!

DavidW

I am sorry but i cant remember any of the streets,i remember the Tattooist,a Fish and Chip shop,Sweets and Tobacconists, a cafe,all corner shops and i can picture lots more little shops but no names,If anyone has a photograph of this area of Notts i would love to see.

Not quite Nottingham but the old Radcliffe on Trent Junior school on Main Road.

School day memories from 51 to 57.

First awareness of that strange phenomenon, the Train Spotters, at the back fence every break watching for engines passing on the lines close by and then marking them off in their little books.

DavidW

Thankyou so much for the link (i hope thats what its called,i am learning)i have really enjoyed looking at the pics,the old factory i worked at in the 60s RAYWARP seems to be still there though closed,but Vicarage st where i once lived up the side of the Mechanics has gone,I am going to see if i can find any more photos of the area before it was modernized,any ideas anyone has will be appreciated.Thanks.

For me, Its Godfrey House on Burton Road/Main Road, Carlton. An ancestor built it, A very grand house in its day, long gone now. Whats yours?

Hi jimmy87notts

The Godfrey House to which you refer was this the beautiful old house on the corner opposite the health centre

for me its got to start with my old house were i lived for 12years 14 ethel grove deabil st netherfield, then all the sheds and the surounding terraces traffic my sister jean lived there untill they pulled them down locamotive terrace were some of my friends lived lnw terrace were my sister kath lived as well as my good friend sheila hugginsstill see sheila sometimes 60 years of being friends.

and i forgot the ritz cinema and the lattes casuaty little woolworths on hockley one of my first jobsand i was nologer a girl but really growing up and becoming my own person not wemmy gel or so and so sister starting to go out and about down town of to whitehart on my own if no one else wanted to go meeting new people who did not live netherfield and carlton making new friends from all over the place .

For me, Its Godfrey House on Burton Road/Main Road, Carlton. An ancestor built it, A very grand house in its day, long gone now. Whats yours?

Hi jimmy87notts

The Godfrey House to which you refer was this the beautiful old house on the corner opposite the health centre

It was fch782c, yeah :)

Not long gone, but going... going... The old Forest Fields Grammar School on Carlton Road. The demolition crews are going through it like a dose of salt.

I wonder what will happen to the adjoining City College. A strange kind of educational institutiion because it doesn't appear to have any students.

DAVID W, Lewis Street was off Alfred St Central, on the left going down towards Commercial Square and St Anns Well Road. Truman Street came before on the same side, then after Lewis St came Dane St and Cooper St. They all ran up to join Peas Hill Road.

DAVID W, Lewis Street was off Alfred St Central, on the left going down towards Commercial Square and St Anns Well Road. Truman Street came before on the same side, then after Lewis St came Dane St and Cooper St. They all ran up to join Peas Hill Road.

Thanks Commo , I can't remember any of that area at all . I'm sure that my grandfather also lived on Trueman Street as well as Lewis Street . That was mentioned either on a Census before 1911 or one of the kids birth certs . Never realised those two streets were adjacent to each other . Cheers !