I had my first job in Woolies at Arnold When i left school 1963,i remember the steps leading up to it,i didnt stay long ,my friend lived in the Labour club on main st,and we used to cross front st to get to woolies if that's any help with which side of the road it was.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When the Contemporary Art Gallery was built at Weekday Cross, someone associated with its construction said that it blended in with the surrounding architecture - High Pavement. Where was Specsavers w

It is thirty years ago that the great benevolent monster in the village I was brought up in fell silent for ever. At its peak it employed just under 2,000 men and was the focus of a thriving village.

Mmmm, not much left then Phil ! 

It helps my argument Carni but Poohbear and Babs think it's on opposite side of road. I need Stu and Cliff ton to find some photos of Front Street pre 60/70's please.

Woolies was next door to teh Cross Keys on the Ravenswood Road side. The police sdtation was on the corner of Ravenswood opposite "The Croft". Hatters chippy was on the opposite side to Wooolies.

Do you remember the "Forms" where Front Street met High Street, Lizzie?

Here it is LizzieM. Kings Picture House, latterly Woolwoth store on Front Street.

NCCC000339.jpg

• Upvote 1

Yes Compo, my memory isn't so bad after all. Do you mean benches on the 'V' where to two roads met? I don't really, but in the late 50's and early 60's I went swimming every day at the old Arnold Baths and straight from there I would go to a little bakers round the corner on Front Street and buy a hot cob, no butter though! If indeed there were seats in that area I expect I would have sat on them but really can't remember.

Compo #55

You reminded me Of the seats between front st and high st,In the early 1960s it was our meeting place,we used to spend alot of time just hanging round with the Arnold crowd there,a mixture of boys and girls,we were all quite young,i was 14 and we used to go upstairs to a chippy on front st opposite Woolies,is that the one you mentioned,it sounds familiar,we would stay overnight at the labour club and catch the bus to school next morning,Happy Days.

Thanks LizzieM,we used to make a plate of chips last as long as possible especially if it was raining,From the age of 13 to 15 we spent more time in Arnold than Gedling,my first teenage romance was an Arnold Lad,aaaaah he broke my heart, not for long tho ,two years later i met my hubby to be.LOL

Carni: I also used to hang around the forms AND Hatters chippy - upstairs! I'll wager we met at some point along the way. as I got older the Druids Tavern was my pub of choice and occasionally teh Maid Marion on coppice Road. Both, sadly, now demolished.

My Dad spent a few weeks in the care home that now sits on the Maid Marion site. I never went in that pub but used to occasionally go in the Friar Tuck with my Mum and Dad and worked behind the bar in the Major Oak for a short time, couldn't stand the landlord though!

Not one building, but a group of them.

hill-1.jpg

Drury Hill. Went up and down there hundreds of times when it existed, getting to and from Broad Marsh bus station.

I remember in the last days of Drury Hill a couple of young guys opened a really "Modern" book shop called "B U X" it smelled really new, lovely fresh carpet white walls and chock full of fresh smelling penguins (books that is)

I remember in the last days of Drury Hill a couple of young guys opened a really "Modern" book shop called "B U X" it smelled really new, lovely fresh carpet white walls and chock full of fresh smelling penguins (books that is)

I remember that as well.

book-1.jpg

Carni: I also used to hang around the forms AND Hatters chippy - upstairs! I'll wager we met at some point along the way. as I got older the Druids Tavern was my pub of choice and occasionally teh Maid Marion on coppice Road. Both, sadly, now demolished.

Hi Compo,

I got a few names for you,see if you know anyone,Doug Bagley,Mick and Tony Storer,Ray Bell (raz),Joe Copley,and Jen,Chris and Sue,sorry about the surnames spelling but i only knew Christian names.There were more but my memory is not so good.

I just remembered that Mick Storer came from DayBrook,we used to go in the Druids and also Maid Marion,any where really that we could get in ,seeing as we were all under age,We didn't go in for the boozy stuff it was really just some where to hang out.

The Storers rings a bell but my memory of names is not too good. Joe Brown? Th etop chippy on teh same side as Hatters near where Fine Fare was built was called Joe Brown's chippy by our lot. Joe's lot used to hand around up that end. I think the Storers were part of his gang.

Mick Storer had something wrong with his eye,he said he was blind in the one,something to do with bieng knocked over when a child,before i knew him,sorry the names don't ring any bells for you,The only Joe i remember was a Copley,he had two brothers called Billy and Brian,both live at Chapel St Leanards now.There used to be quite a gathering at the seats in Arnold up to end of 1964,we stopped going so much because my friends parents gave up the Labour Club and moved back to Gedling,so there was nowhere to sleep over,Oh Well,It all played a big part in my young memories. :happy:

I dont know what happened to any of the crowd,i was seeing Mick in early 1964 but we drifted apart and then i met my hubby at Skeg and never really went to Arnold anymore.

Carni,

Geoff Dallison

Phil Bishop

Malc Levitt (Levick?)

Kenny xxxxx? Had a younger brother, Barry and sister called Sue and I can't remember their surname.

Sue guise

Chris Wall

Any bells?

Sorry Compo,not one,but its been along time and i am sorry to say no bells are ringing,tho if they hung around the seats between 1961 and autumn of 1964 i would have been in their company at sometime,Just a bit of nonsense i have remembered,see if you knew about it? The Arnold lads had some disagreement with the Sherwood lads and one night they all went on a march to Sherwood for a bust up,we tagged along as well,i remember one lad had a great big meat bone as a weapon,anyway the Black Maria's came and every one ran in different directions some where around the Vale pub area,Lol I often wonder what would have happened if they had made it to Sherwood. :No1: