• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When the Contemporary Art Gallery was built at Weekday Cross, someone associated with its construction said that it blended in with the surrounding architecture - High Pavement. Where was Specsavers w

It is thirty years ago that the great benevolent monster in the village I was brought up in fell silent for ever. At its peak it employed just under 2,000 men and was the focus of a thriving village.

Mmmm, not much left then Phil ! 

And while on the subject of The Vale, and going off tangent a bit, I knew a boy at the Youth Club at Arnold High School, who had a motorbike and got killed outside The Vale, before they put traffic lights on that junction. He went under a lorry poor lad. Can't remember his name but he lived on Killisick Estate.

Great Centrtal Railway bridge over teh Trent at Wilford. what an amazing structure that was. Should have been saved for future generations to marvel at.

• 2 months later...

For me it was the old General Hospital. One of my first jobs was there and you had to quickly learn your way round the complete maze of corridors through all the buildings added over two centuries - and get used to the sloping site so that you could go from the ground floor to a fourth floor without ever going up any stairs!

• 4 months later...

As a newbie I've been having a good look around the different forums. There's lots I could respond to, but many of them have last posts dated months ago, so maybe we leave them alone? Anyway, rather than starting another thread, I couldn't let this one go unanswered!

Carni, we lived on Vicarage street in the early 1950s too ('53-'57/8). Our house was No.12, at the Huntingdon St end, and it was one of a block of a few three-storey houses whereas I think most were two-storey? The top floor was one big empty room, the size of the whole house, with a long narrow window on the south side overlooking the backyards of Vicarage St and Welbeck St (the next one down towards Woodborough Rd). To get up there we had to use a very steep staircase and the door at the bottom was covered with a heavy curtain. Me and my sister NEVER went up in the dark!

I think (and I always say) there was a shop on the corner with Church St (about halfway down to Alfred St), and on bonfire night there was always a big bonfire in the middle of the road at the top of Church St. In the winter, when there was snow, I remember the bigger kids would sledge down Church Street's hill towards Woodborough Rd. There wasn't much traffic around I don't suppose, but they whizzed over two or three junctions on the way to the bottom!

The only neighbour's name I remember is a lady called Pat(?) Box who lived a few doors down. But there was an old man living opposite who my mum used to help across Huntingdon St to The Nag's Head (Frogmore St/Mansfield Rd corner) most lunchtimes.

Me and my sister went to Elms Infants, but we'd moved to Clifton (for the 2nd time!) before going up to Juniors. My mum worked at Raywarp too, and you're right, it is still standing. Also still there is the pub (originally The Mechanics Arms now The Pride of Erin) that stood on the corner with Alfred St North. The pub still has both names on the walls and until a few years ago the Vicarage St sign was still there too (gone now).

Picking up on the street names, those running between Huntingdon St and Alfred St North, heading in the direction of Woodborough Rd, were Kilbourn St (still there), Vicarage St, Welbeck St, Heskey St (with the brewery-related buildings halfway along) and lastly Sherwin St, which ended in a junction with Harlaxton St (a continuation of Church St, that ran down to join Woodborough Rd between Huntingdon St and Alfred St North). Except for Vicarage St (for some reason!) these names remain in use in the area as Walks (e.g. Sherwin Walk).

I seem to have got carried away! Just one more for the shops I remember. There was a Co-op (a bag of broken biscuits?) on the Alfred St/Marple St corner, just before the Baptist Church. Then across Woodborough Rd and about 100 yards down Alfred St Central, on the left was a small Post Office. Lots of sweet shops dotted about! Plenty more if anyone wants it!

• Upvote 2

Riddo, Welcome,

Thank you for Giving me chance to write about my memories of Vicarage Street again. My Grandparents lived at the other end to you but they probably knew of each other. They lived at no 53ish about 5 houses up from the Mechanics Arms, Their surname was Johnson and they raised 6 girls in that little terrace house. The loft was converted into another bedroom. I bet it was mayhem when they were young women all getting ready to go out on the town in the 1940s. I lived there in Mam and Dads early married life but only until I was two, then we moved back to Gedling. The name Pat Box is very familiar and I have asked my sister who also remembers the name but we can't put a face to it. She could have been a friend of Mam or one of her sisters. One of the neigbours had the name Sammy Heep; does that ring any bells? I used to walk through all of the streets you have mentioned on my way to work at Raywarp in the early 60s, first calling in at Grandma's for breakfast. Thank you for the memory jog and reminding me of the street names. Enjoy yourself on Nottstalga.

Gonna throw two in here :

St Patricks Community Centre behind Sam Ward's garage on London Road.

As a young architect aged 18, I helped design it, saw it built and then knocked down again.

Traces of the quarry tile floor were still visible when I last looked.

Severn's restaurant, now the Lace museum. Was taken for a meal when it stood at the top of Drury Hill ( thanks for those photos, I could even smell the atmosphere when saw them ), and technically I suppose it was demolished but re-erected by the Castle now.

Great days......

Riddo (#85), you can comment on anything you read on Nottstalgia whether it be from yesterday or 2007. You have to remember that newer Nottstalgians, including myself, probably wouldn't have seen it and would jog their memories regarding the topic. They call it a 'BUMP' on here although the word meant a different thing at Trent Bridge Senior Boys School...lol

Carni #86.

I've been checking a few things at the Central Library today for the years '67/'68 for another topic on here, so decided to look at Vicarage St too.

Your family are listed as No.51 (Fred Johnson?) and Samuel Heap was at 53. Elsie Wood at 55 and then I'm guessing it was the pub, 'cos the street numbers stop.

At No.48 was Arthur Box, so I guess Pat was his wife (or maybe daughter). That's further down the street than I thought (we were at No.12).

Other names at that end of the street were Richard Oliver (No.45), William Ward (47), and Violet Meadwell (49). Maybe these ring a bell, although this is' 67/8, not early '50s.

One name I found was William Clamp at No.16 and that is definitely a name I remember from our end of the street. Happy days.

Riddo,

Hi, yes Granddad was Fred Johnson. He died Aug 1966 and Grandma died June 1972; but she was staying with her Daughter elsewhere at the time. I left Nottingham 1966 so I didn't see much of Grandma after that. I can picture the neighbors standing on the front steps chatting as if it was yesterday. I have a photo somewhere of my Aunt; her friend (who I am hoping will be Pat Box) in the 1950s. They would I imagine have been in their 20s; and my sister and myself, we only look about 6/7yrs old; out side the Church opposite the Forest; we are bridesmaid's to another aunt who grew up in the Vicarage St home. I have very fond memories of Vicarage St and the names you mention all seem very familiar to me. I will see if there is a way of getting my old photo on here tomorrow, not sure how though! Thank you for looking the info up, I am always interested in any thing you can turn up.

when i was working i often used to go to plyworks on the corner of north sherwood st and vickers st the building is opposit to the pride of erin pub and used to be the old parish hall and the factory that was behind it i wonder if any of you have any memories of it and what if anything it was used for then

Demolished memories. A lot of my family lived at Radford and I remember Radford Station, Forster Street School, the original All Souls Church. Radford gasworks, Chettles Yard.

I also rember the Forum picture House on Aspley Lane but it was a video rental when I knew it. The Colliers Arms at Cinderhill. Old Park Farm at Bilborough. Chilwell Dam Farm near Strelley. The list is endless.

John Barleycorn. Not that I have ever been in it but that corner just looks blank and abandoned everytime I turn out of Stockhill Lane.

Sorry Piggy & Babs #91, you're a little mixed up. North Sherwood St runs parallel to, and to the west of, Mansfield Rd. You're thinking of Alfred St North & what was Vicarage St (now St Anns Way). Playworks is still housed in the Parish Hall and stands across from the Pride of Erin. There was talk in the press lately of the pub reverting to its previous name - The Mechanics Arms - but I was down there a couple of weeks ago and there's no sign of it yet. In fact its always retained an old Mechanics Arms sign on its walls, as if the owners can't quite make the break with the past!

The big factory behind the Parish Hall used to be Raywarps and now contains artists & craft workers studios amongst other things. My mum worked at Raywarp in the early 1950s when we lived on Vicarage St.

Riddo,

I have found the photograph that I spoke about, with the lady, on that I am hoping is Pat Box. I am hoping you will know if it is her. I have tried to take a snap of the photo on my camera but it is so old it isn't very clear. My Granddaughter is bringing her super duper camera on Saturday so we might be able to get a better image to post. Sorry for the delay, I am quite hopeful that it is her. If pat Box lived at no 48, it would have been opposite no 51, so it sounds promising.

That sounds great Carni. Unfortunately I was only 7 at the time, so I doubt if I'll know one way or the other. The name has stuck with me because my mum often spoke about her even after we'd left St Anns. That's why I thought she lived nearer than it turned out (us No.12, Pat Box No. 48). And if she was a friend, she must have been of a similar age to my mum, who would have been in her thirties around then. Does that sound right? Maybe the photo will give us a clue?

I have a photo of me & my sister on Vicarage St in 1953, but I'm struggling to post any photo on here & don't really want to have to start creating accounts on host sites where security may be an issue. It seems that members on here use different ways of including pictures in their posts. I thought a simple copy & paste would work, but no. I've been down that way in the last few weeks, taking pics of what's left of the places I remember & I'd love to share them on here. What's the easiest way, do you know?

Go to the home page and click onto FAQ about use of the forums and Questions about use of the forums. You will learn all sorts on there. That is where i always look first.

On the photo I look 6/7ish so it must be 1954/56, my Aunt and the lady in question look in their 20s, I know my Aunt was born 1936 and they look similar ages.

sorry riddo i always get them two rds mixed upbut you obviously knew were i mentapart from playworks scrap storeswe did a lot of training courses there and playworkers meetings, but that was nov 2005 when i had to come off work sickso i never went back sono need to go again

My son used to go to the John Barleycorn for an hour every evening after school when he was about 9 or 10. No! He wasn't an under age boozer. His best mate from school was the landlord's son. They used to watch TV together.

• Upvote 1

Re #99 the Barleycorn has been demolished for about five years now. I understand it was to be a care home, but nothing has been confirmed. Not much peace and quiet at this busy junction.