yes carni it certainly looks like it to me.i think when you remember it the building continued across the rd and you would not be able to see the top part of the rd from this angle,i may be wrong though.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When the Contemporary Art Gallery was built at Weekday Cross, someone associated with its construction said that it blended in with the surrounding architecture - High Pavement. Where was Specsavers w

It is thirty years ago that the great benevolent monster in the village I was brought up in fell silent for ever. At its peak it employed just under 2,000 men and was the focus of a thriving village.

Mmmm, not much left then Phil ! 

Carni & Babbs - my first photo shows the Mechanics Arms (now Pride of Erin) as you would have seen it if you were standing on the even-numbered side of Vicarage St looking down to Alfred St North.
Have a look at your #116 photo. My first photo is taken from about the same position, but the camera is pointing just a bit further to the left. If the Minerva Garage had still been there it would be in the photo, to the right of the Hall, and the road you can see going up the side of the Hall would not be there.

Perhaps this one will help? It's looking up what's left of Alfred St North. The pub is at the bottom of St Anns Way (was Vicarage St), which goes off to the left. You can see the Raywarp factory looming up on the right, with St Anns Hill Rd off to the right behind it. In the tiny gap in the far distance is where Alfred St North, Huntingdon St and Mansfield Rd come together. You can't see the Parish Hall because it is set back from the road, just to the right of the parked cars.And yes, I took my second picture from opposite the pub, just behind the wall on the left of this picture.Cliff Ton #127 is right about the position of the road in my more recent photo. If you get up that way, all will become clear!

Posted Image

Thanks CliffTon,

We have studied the Photo's and it is so hard to work it out, but with your explanation of the new road being where the people are, it does help. You can see the continuation of Alfred St in the old Photo.

Looking at the picture above just put on by Riddo. Opposite the pub, there is a Red Door. Just a guess but could this be the Minerva Garage, it looks about the right place?

Sorry Carni, but no, it's not the garage. What you're looking at here is where the bottom of Vicarage St met Alfred St North. In your own pic of Vicarage St you can see Minerva Garage directly opposite the bottom of Vicarage St. The Parish Hall was the next building up to the left of the garage.

If Minerva Garage was still standing (it isn't) it would have been a bit further up than the tree in my #128 photo.

The road to the right of the hall in #124 wasn't there in the '50s. See Cliff Ton's map in #107 - there's no road opposite the bottom of Vicarage St.

The red door you refer to is part of another old factory building, on the left here below the Raywarp factory and between the two yellow barriers. In this photo, looking DOWN Alfred St North, the Parish Hall is the next to last building on the left (red brick in sunlight) and you can see the pub opposite it on the right.

Posted Image

• Upvote 1

I have a memory of a little cafe just before Trent Bridge Meadows side, i used to go there after helping co/op milk men they used to buy me tea and a lovely fresh cake,it was located roughly between Boots turney st and Turners leather tannery ,one side there was a car sales faced roughly Bathley st opposite side faced turners,anyway it was not heated and in winter early morning it was freezing but that gave it atmosphere that seemed to make that tea and cake taste better .should have said one side Arkwright st cafe was on the other side which was London rd.Can anyone remember this cafe or maybe have a photo of cafe or area.

Well done Clifton with your photos cant remember exactly but to the right of the first photo ,Dennis would you say it had already been demolished on cliftonsfirst photo or was it on the bit thats heading towards his second photo, it was definately not the one next to the greyhound

a charlesworth (#131), the cafe was on London Road, directly opposite Meadow Lane. When I was a kid it was called Toms Cafe and the bus drivers and conductors would go in there for their tea etc. It was a popular cafe and sometimes had three people serving. It was later owned by a chap called Roma who looked like a chap from the Middle East.

Great photo Cliff Ton. Where do you get 'em all from?

The Globe Cinema site, is that where the Blue Star Garage eventually took over ('60s) or is it one road over (the next big sideways on building) to the right in your pic?. Is that the Turner tannery in the foreground - I remember the stink from there when we used to go for a family outing to the Embankment on a Sunday afternoon in the '50s.

Greetings Riddo....You will find that Cliff Ton and others on this site are unbelievable when sourcing pictures, maps and information.

That is Turneys Tannery Works in the foreground and London Road is the one heading up to the right between the Globe and Turneys. The smell was something else again, wasn't it?

There is a post on this site r London Road and it mentions the Transport Café that you are probably referring to. The café was on the TB side of the Greyhound Inn and virtually opposite Meadow Lane and I had reason to know it fairly well back in the late 50s......http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9787&page=1

There are posts with references to the café but for the life of me, I cannot find them. When I do, I will post the links on here.

In the meantime, PTP has a photograph which show the café alongside the Greyhound Inn.....http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM007259&pos=31&action=zoom&id=58705

And Google provides a picture of what it looks like now... a derelict ex Indian Restaurant and the building up for sale. Just key in London Road, place the little man at the intersection with Meadow Lane and directly across the intersection is the old Greyhound, now the Globe and the café next to it.

Re #135 and the PTP photo of the Greyhound.

That's just as I remember the area, and the Blue Star Garage I mentioned was a little further to the left. Traffic turned off Arkwright St onto London Road in front of the garage. And, of course, traffic now comes onto London Rd via the (only slightly) widened road to the right of the Greyhound pub (now the Globe) in the PTP photo.

not demolished because the building is stillthere i think its the indian restraunt just round the corner from trent bridge opposit tbi pub little cafe run by dick anf his wife carnt remember her name when i lived in west bridgefordin the sixties anyone remeber it and its name dich had the upstairs room as a dico a lot of the local teens went in there