I love my nostalgic thoughts about my childhood, whether it is because I moved so far away from the place I grew up in I don't know, but not a day goes by that I don't wander off in my thought to myself as a child living in Hardys Drive. I feel as though I have been two people in my life. The one I am now and the person that lived in Gedling, who left all her friends, family, surroundings and basically everything, when I married. I do definitely feel as if I have been two people? No regrets, well perhaps a little one. I wish I could have bought mi mam and dad with me.:)

I often research Hardys Drive, in fact I spent an hour looking at it last night, I found an advert for the house I grew up in, it was for sale, I think it was £179000, but it was a pit house or council house in those long ago years. The description of the bedrooms, took me back to my memories of going through one bedroom to get to the third one which was just big enough for a small bed, I was a mardy cat and wanted to be near mam and dad so they let me sleep in there sometimes. The shared courtyard was mentioned, oh I remember it well, with a bit of muck just outside our backdoor, which was the garden, made some lovely mud pies with cups and spoons. I'm sure mam would have washed them well before tea?:biggrin:I wonder if they have installed a bathroom these days, it was the tin bath and a dash across the yard for the toilets for us.

I learnt something last night, I always wondered when those houses were built, well....it seems it was 1880, described as cottages. Please don't ask me where I was looking to find this information, chances are I will never find it again. I love my nostalgic moments in Hardys Drive, and I bet SueB48 will remember it well. I think I will have another look now, see what else I can find.:) Sorry for rambling. It's mi age ya know!!!

• Like 5
  • Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When the Contemporary Art Gallery was built at Weekday Cross, someone associated with its construction said that it blended in with the surrounding architecture - High Pavement. Where was Specsavers w

It is thirty years ago that the great benevolent monster in the village I was brought up in fell silent for ever. At its peak it employed just under 2,000 men and was the focus of a thriving village.

Mmmm, not much left then Phil ! 

I'm fancy free,, and love to wander,,tis just the Gypsy in my soul.............

Perhaps it's an age thing but I am frequently assailed by triggers that bring back my childhood memories. Smell is one of the most deeply embedded senses we have and it's often via catching a whiff of something that a vivid memory comes back.

The other day, I caught a hint of something from long ago. It brought back an image of my mum spring cleaning the bathroom with Flash powder in a box. The powder was green and sparkly and it played havoc with her hands because she couldn't work in gloves. It had a very distinctive smell.

These memories often bring tears, not of sadness, but of happiness.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 9:55 AM, IAN123. said:

The east stand demolished.1979.

Just Seen this photo, so many memories as we always stood in the East Stand, as a nipper with my dad or granddad level with the second post in from the Kop end and passed down to the wall at the front so I could see. Much later as teenager and adult level with the 18 yard box at the Trent End

I ate in the Pagoda on the evening before it was closed down for breach of hygiene standards. The food was excellent. A friend of mine who ran Nottingham Industrial Cleaners and was called in for the cleanup said it was one of the most disgusting kitchens he had ever seen!

• Like 1
On 6/10/2018 at 9:05 PM, philmayfield said:

I ate in the Pagoda on the evening before it was closed down for breach of hygiene standards. The food was excellent. A friend of mine who ran Nottingham Industrial Cleaners and was called in for the cleanup said it was one of the most disgusting kitchens he had ever seen!

Nice to see you posting again Phil !

Mmmm, not much left then Phil ! 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2
  • 4 weeks later...

I lived on gawthorne street in the 70's, with my mum and sisters. Haven't seen it for years!! There was a shop at the top of the street, owned by ted, he weighed me a quarter of sweets once and took one out because it was over the weight!

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Looks like Art Deco meets the Digger!

As a kid when travelling into town on the bus always knew it was not far when we passed the Daybrook Laundry and the Home Brewery buildings. Both founded by the Robinson brothers.

The Home Brewery offices still stand, oz. They are now occupied by Notts County Council and in a fragile state. Wonderful Art Deco staircase inside. I visited there quite often when I worked for Notts a few years ago. The place was usually under scaffolding!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

The Home Brewery offices still stand,

Just took a "Google drive" down Mansfield Rd Daybrook and about the only things I remember are, St. Pauls Church, The Alms Houses, The Old Spot opposite to the Home Brewery Building which still looks imposing and the Vale Hotel just before Valley Rd.

Going the other way towards the Red Hill roundabout I remember the Wagon and Horses and the Ram and then up through the cutting to the A614 (the Ramper)

• 2 weeks later...

Every evening after tea..we'd go and see what Watts had pulled down...and what Wimpey had put up!59057.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpg1971 this, we'd never seen canch's of breeze blocks before..nor these bleak concrete underpasses..cept the precint in Lenton that was crap.

Looked odd..shuttered concrete versus the old common brick. Is that the Liberal Club..peeking out?

Catfan'll know..he was Union Rd..as was our old member Tompa.

There are still two bits of the old Viaduct left........one bit on Bestwood road near the railway club,,and another on Hucknall road,,opposite Morrisons.................