• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When the Contemporary Art Gallery was built at Weekday Cross, someone associated with its construction said that it blended in with the surrounding architecture - High Pavement. Where was Specsavers w

It is thirty years ago that the great benevolent monster in the village I was brought up in fell silent for ever. At its peak it employed just under 2,000 men and was the focus of a thriving village.

Mmmm, not much left then Phil ! 

Surely that truck driver must have been driving or manoeuvring on the footpath??

Google would indicate that.

Hope he has the book thrown at him!

Re #230 The truck driver was perhaps trying to avoid double parkers .

• 2 months later...

Cinderhill Road, from Bulwell towards Cinderhill, on left shortly before Babbington colliery on right. There was a large concrete structure in the `fifties. Anyone know what it was please? Very approximately where Bagnall Road and Hollydene are now. I`m just nosey.....

#235. That was Sun Coal (or Suncoal). A German company that made oval bickettes out of coal dust. I have seen a photo of an overhead cable system going across the road from the pit. A few days before war broke out in 1939 the company deserted it, leaving, I am told, a car inside. We used to play around there. The concrete buildings remained there until the 1960s at least.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Blaster Bates gave great shows.  My husband and I went to one years ago and I laughed so much I hurt at the end. During the interval I looked around and two rows behind us was a group of lads from my year 11 tutor group and science class.  I smiled and told them I was so pleased at their interest in chemistry. They never ever mentioned the evening out to me after that. 

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, carni said:

#4 David W, I found this, thought you might enjoy looking at it. See if you recognise any names. 

http://stannswellroad.weebly.com/lewis-st-alfred-st-central-to-peas-hill-rd.html

Any one got the book

St Ann's "inner city voices" by Ruth I Johns

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Catfan, how does it make you feel seeing that photo?   I always think it feels strange when someone's 3 dimensional house reverts to just a 2 dimensional plot once again.   I can't really explain it, but I always want to know where the 3D house  is now...  it's as though it can't just disappear ..     (am I losing the plot do you think?)

• Like 3
12 hours ago, MargieH said:

can't really explain it, but I always want to know where the 3D house  is now...  it's as though it can't just disappear ..     (am I losing the plot do you think?)

No, Margie, you're not losing the plot. I have exactly the same thoughts. Number 4 Garden Street still exists in my head exactly as I knew it when a child, even though it was demolished  more than 50 years ago. I often dream about it too. Same goes for The Manning, even though I hated the place. No matter what is on the site now, it will always be as it was...in my head. I even become fascinated by old buildings which were gone before I was born or which I never knew. For example The Grange, which stood near to where Pianoman lives.

Perhaps it's just my obsession with the past. As L P Hartley said "The past is another country. They do things differently there."

• Like 4

Ive lived in many places.......but still have dreams of the house where i grew up.(probably twice a week)  always nice dreams but make feel very 'Melancholic'' the next morning,,about 5 years ago visited my old friend and next door neighbour who still lives there,,,,looked over his garden fence onto my old garden,,very big garden and hardly changed,

Saw the old brick wall,that i used to kick or bowl a ball at,,and in my minds eye could see all my old mates from the 50s,,and the big gate where Dad spent hours bowling me Spinners''....me Mam hanging out the washing,,Aunts and Uncles laughing with a drink on a summers evening,,the bedroom window where i sat playing my record player very loud with window open so Christine 3 doors away could hear it,,the same bedroom where i'd pretend i was Billy Fury using my Tennis Racket for a Guitar,,also recalled having a national dried milk can with a string connecting to Harry next doors bedroom,, ''Twang'' ''H'' Recieving,,come in ''H'' over,,............,, ah and so much more,

Felt really sad after driving home,, is all this Nostalga really good for you ?        

• Like 6

I don't think nostalgia is bad for you, Ben.  It's just part of being human.

Since I moved to Canada and now the US I've been back numerous times.  Each time for some strange reason I went back to the house in Netherfield where I grew up.  One time it was painted bright red.  The next time it had a coat of stucco.  I guess it sort of saddened me.  It seemed so much smaller than I remembered it.  So did the schools I attended, both now demolished.  Somebody once said "you can never go back."   No, but you can give it a try.  Although it may be a sobering experience I think it is good to remind ourselves when we can of earlier days.  Now I go back and look at my old houses in Canada.  A totally different part of my life but good memories anyway.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, loppylugs said:

I don't think nostalgia is bad for you, Ben.  It's just part of being human.

I know what you mean Loppy........i think as i get older i get even more sentimental......find the ''Stiff upper lip'' harder to control,, always like to look forward to a new challenge,, whether that be work,travel or even to live somewhere else,,i suppose its ''Just the Gypsy in my soul''  NS Choir please.........lol

• Like 1