A gentle bump - one for Carni!
I can't copy the photo over, but if you go to this link you'll find a great picture of St Anns with Vicarage St & the surrounding area on it, including Raywarp etc. Taken in 1949, so should be as you remember it.

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/eaw025944

You'll have to sign up to use the zooming in tool, but if you do the detail is amazing! I was able to find my old house, my grandma's, and lots of other buildings I recognised. If you go right in, you can even see your Minerva Garage!!

I couldn't resist putting a few markers on it, but you can switch them off (if you join up).

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When the Contemporary Art Gallery was built at Weekday Cross, someone associated with its construction said that it blended in with the surrounding architecture - High Pavement. Where was Specsavers w

It is thirty years ago that the great benevolent monster in the village I was brought up in fell silent for ever. At its peak it employed just under 2,000 men and was the focus of a thriving village.

Mmmm, not much left then Phil ! 

Riddo,

Thank you so much for the link. I have registered and had a good look around. You are right. I could see the Minerva Garage and Raywarp. I have got to work out how to use the zoom properly, not being very quick at picking things up, but sure to enjoy the site very much, I had quite a few aunts and Grandparents still in the area in 1966 when I left Nottingham.

I think the cafe on London Rd was the one that had a bit of history back in 1959 because the owner then (and something like Flash harry comes into mind) was selling cup final tickets at touts prices and the tickets came from the players ,can anyone throw any light on this,It was in the Evening Post at the time

Also on London Rd outside the old station(central?) there was a cafe which was a old goods carriage used to go there when fetching coke they had the worse tea I have ever drunk because it sat stewing over a flame all day and was just topped up and they had rock cakes which were well named.

• Upvote 1

Chris and his wife, Edna or Enid, ran that café on London Road (next to the Greyhound) in the late 50s and yes, the players would always be in there after practice etc.

My father was a good friend of the owner.

Just driven past The Jag in Stapleford, just a pile of bricks now.

I'm an old Mundellan so I know Meadows well. Thats the building (s) I miss the most. Mundella School.

The photo of the Globe near the bridge brought back so many memories.

I adored the walk along Arkwright Street. How it was destroyed by town planning is a historical shame.

Thanks for the pictures CliffTon,

Though I didn't go to Mundeller, and had no idea even where it was, I have enjoyed looking at the images of the building that so many on this site have memories of.

Again a great pity the building has gone now.

The school had everything Carni. Brand new state of the art science labs. a biology block.a 6th form block, woodwork rooms,tennis courts, surrounded by huge expanses of playing fields and bounded by the river. Close by the cricket and football clubs (Forest and County). The labs had only recently been built before closure. The Mundella rowers were the equal of many a public school.

Now replaced by a set of ugly little boxes. How many brown envelopes passed at this time is open to question. If Captain Popkess could not resolve Nottingham Council I suppose we will never know. Now I know that grammar school girl Maggie Thatcher signed off on the closure of most grammar schools ,mainly because it had reached a stage formulated by the previous government and was beyond saving.

The interesting thing I noted on a visit to the site a few years back,was that the church next door had been converted to a private school. What an amazing place Mundella could have become if turned into a combination of public and private education.

Not a mention of cavo cow sheds yet,or is it carlton Cavendish secondary modern,or is Frank wheldon,or is it now carlton academy,whatever,I'm sure the brilliant cliff ton will help me out with a picture or two