No Bubblewrap....look at the pictures posted of the Memorial Gates and you will see a terrace on the riverside of the roadway.

http://www.heritage-explorer.co.uk/web/he/searchdetail.aspx?id=9695&crit=memorial&large=1

In your Google, it would have been roughly where the cars are now parked across from the entrance.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When the Contemporary Art Gallery was built at Weekday Cross, someone associated with its construction said that it blended in with the surrounding architecture - High Pavement. Where was Specsavers w

It is thirty years ago that the great benevolent monster in the village I was brought up in fell silent for ever. At its peak it employed just under 2,000 men and was the focus of a thriving village.

Mmmm, not much left then Phil ! 

Yes - I was getting confused by mercurydancer suggesting it might have been a lido. It was just a terrace and an arrangement of steps.

Here's another picture of a model which shows it:

http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/monographs/nottingham1927/nottingham10.htm - more

A little research on the Internet seems to indicate it was removed just a few years ago as part of some new flood defence work which involved alterations to the embankment. Don't any of you locals remember it being done? The memorial arches and gateway are listed structures, but presumably that terracing wasn't included in the listing as there seems to have been no protest over its removal - more about the threat to the bandstand in the gardens.

Try a search for 'Victoria Embankment flood defences' and there's a lot, some of which links to pdf files.

The photo from Google that Bubblewrap posted a link to does show a bare patch where the cars are which seems to show where the terrace was.

A little research on the Internet seems to indicate it was removed just a few years ago as part of some new flood defence work which involved alterations to the embankment. Don't any of you locals remember it being done?

I don't remember ever seeing it, and I've been along there quite frequently over the years. I'd stick my neck out and say those steps were removed quite a long time ago - at least some time in the 60s. There have been a number of flood-prevention programmes along there, so it may well have been a victim of one of those.

Had a walk recently off Sandhurst Rd, up to the Nottm City Golf Course , once called Bulwell Hall Golf Course.we came across a heavily vandalised stone house. I thought it was the remnants of a Bulwell Hall, but I gather that was demolished years ago.

Again, any info greatly appreciated.

On cliff tons map where it says 'lodge' in Barkers wood,that was an old Bulwell stone' building which in the 50s and 60s was used as dressing rooms for the football pitches.

• 1 year later...

The Guildhall Tavern, The County Hotel, Vic Station.

It was opposite the Guildhall , if that's Burton St. It was demolished in the late 60's I believe, but was a fantastic pub.

Another one was the Albert on Derby Rd....... Replaced with The Strathdon crap hole.

Although it happened before anybody here was born (around 1908) the "modernisation" of the Castle Gatehouse is something which doesn't look like an improvement. The castle isn't really a castle anyway, but at least this old gatehouse looked more appropriate.

before.jpg