Ayup Miducks

If anyone out there is thinking of a day out and not sure where to go,i would just like to pass one of our faves on to you,it is only 30mins from us and about 2 hrs(ish) from Notts,The place is called Bridgnorth in Shropshire,it is split into high town and low town,with a cliff railway to link the two,check internet for disability access,i have seen folded wheelchairs on it.There is plenty of eateries and Knickerbockers in low town for ice cream fans,lovely river walk and shops,and The Severn Valley Steam Railway for all train enthusiasts,nice to have a trip down memory lane.We love the place and hope if anyone goes. you to have a lovely day.Please check the internet before you decide in case its not for you. Has any one places of interest to pass on,its always nice to hear personal opinions.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Off today, taking Granddaughter to Twycross Zoo, I’m all excited “Going to the zoo zoo zoo going to the zoo zoo zoo how about you you you I’m going to the zoo zoo zoo”    

That’s the great thing about having grandchildren - you can go to places like zoos, seasides and adventure parks etc and share in their excitement without people thinking you’re weird if you go on you

Ayup Miducks If anyone out there is thinking of a day out and not sure where to go,i would just like to pass one of our faves on to you,it is only 30mins from us and about 2 hrs(ish) from Notts,The p

Bit too far for me, I was searching but cant find anything of interest East Midlands?

Any recomendations for today?

Mick, have you been to the Framework Knitters museum in Ruddington? it is open on Bank Holiday Monday then if of any interest, the Transport Heritage park just up the road.

Carni, we do like Bridgnorth, but spend much more time in Much Welock. The priory is so peaceful if the weather is right, and nice historic town to wander with good pub lunches and good selection of second hand books!

mick have you looked at my flower festivals thread nice day out and not too farjust off ashbourn buxton rd about 10 miles before buxton and you cart beat the views around that area hollingclough flower festival and monyash well dressings both well worth a visit.

...but spend much more time in Much Welock. The priory is so peaceful if the weather is right, and nice historic town to wander with good pub lunches and good selection of second hand books!

...and as I have said before, one of the finest butchers in the UK - Paddy Ryan - try his steak pies (full to bursting with proper meat, not mush) - and many other goodies at reasonable prices.

Absolutely nothing wrong with Skeg,I met my hubby there in 1964 and we both love the place,we had a caravan on Skegness Sands for ten years,but had to give it up in 2011 because we retired 5 years ago and couldn't afford it any more.We have just got back from a nice day at the best place Notts we sat and had our sandwiches and tea on Trent embankment,absolutely brilliant,

Its abit late now i know, but attenborough nature reserve is allways a nice walk. As if Reg Taylors garden centre, the swan/bird sancuary is lovely. £3 per adult, we took little'en yesterday and she loved having a wander and seeing all the different ducks. Although i didnt realise how tame they were and one bit my finger!!

Possibley, i was pushing my luck really by putting my hand down to see if they'd come to me. Well ofcourse they would... they thought i had food! Then a chicken sounded asif it was laughing then my daughter pointed and laughed... Im not the biggest fan of ducks as it is lol

Commo

We decided to go to Bridgnorth at 3.30 this afternoon for a look round,just got there in time for an ice cream, and then on to MuchWenloch to finish the day off,you are right it is very peaceful, and so well kept,even the new dwellings are built to reflect the character of the place,the rain had started so we couldn't get out of the car to explore, it has been a few years since we saw the priory so we are going again this week for a good look round.Have you and Mrs Commo visited Ludlow,I am sure you would enjoy it there,

Hi Carni, have to say that Ludlow is our favourite stomping ground when we are down that way. Always stay somewhere close, usually The Castle Hotel in Bishops Castle, and make sure that we get a few hours wandering round Ludlow.

Used to be a great little book & music shop on Church Street, Ross's, but unfortunately closed down a couple of years back when he retired.

Only downside is the cider drinkers who congregate in the Church gardens and can get a little unruly, no different from anywhere else in the country then!

Love the carillon in St Laurences playing The Conquering Hero tune.

A E Houseman's "Shropshire Lad" one of my favourite pieces of poetry.

On our recent week in Lancing, on the Sunday, it was sunny so we took a ride round the South Downs. Went to Lewes, a lovely little town, then on to Royal Tunbridge Wells. Walked round both places and said to hubby, can't believe nobody's selling ice creams, I really fancy a 99. [haven't had one in years] On the way home we passed a huge car park in some forest or other, for hikers by the look of it, and there stood an ice cream van. Mr Whippy, I could have kissed it, and we got our 99s. They were tiny though and 3 pounds a piece. Oh how times have changed.

Katyjay

Glad you had a nice time at Lancing and Royal Tunbridge Wells,Two places we have not been to yet,you have given us some where to aim for,we have been on a mon-fri coach hol to Eastbourne,that is down that way but it wasn't included on our day trips, so glad you found you'r ice cream in the end, i am an ice cream addict, i have progressed to double cones now and a flake,LOL, for one double and one single it cost £5.80,a bit less than your,s, can you remember when we could buy a cornet or a sandwich,you don't see them any more,

£5.80 for 2 ice creams !!!!

That would have given me a severe financial cramp of the wallet !

We went with the 2 year old grandaughter to Falmouth on Saturday and nipped into the Tesco Metro on the sea front for some salad bits and whilst there picked up a carton of 4 Cornettos for 99 pence .

Reckon that saved about 7 pounds if we had bought from the ice cream van on the edge of the car park and grandaughter enjoyed hers just as much .

Absolutely true, another rip off, but if you want one and there's no Tesco around you have to pay. I would have enjoyed a cornetto just as much (well nearly)and followed by two pints LOL

I remember as a kid, Carni, the ice cream man coming round, and you'd ask for a sandwich. He'd put one wafer in a metal rectangular doodad, scoop ice cream on top of it, level it off and put another wafer on top of that, and pop it out of the mould and bob's yer uncle. Some ice cream men sold the block of ice cream ready wrapped and gave you the 2 wafers to put it in. My 99's were expensive but they were good! No prices on the outside of the ice cream van, I guess she could charge whatever she wanted, according to how much custom she got, and she had plenty in this car park.