You can,t let the price stop you having treats Katyjay,if you can run to it,i am afraid that's the way it is now,every one out to make big profits,I can remember the ready wrapped ice cream for sandwiches of the ice cream man,did they sell them at the Ritz and Regal i can't remember.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Off today, taking Granddaughter to Twycross Zoo, I’m all excited “Going to the zoo zoo zoo going to the zoo zoo zoo how about you you you I’m going to the zoo zoo zoo”    

That’s the great thing about having grandchildren - you can go to places like zoos, seasides and adventure parks etc and share in their excitement without people thinking you’re weird if you go on you

Ayup Miducks If anyone out there is thinking of a day out and not sure where to go,i would just like to pass one of our faves on to you,it is only 30mins from us and about 2 hrs(ish) from Notts,The p

I agree with you there Carni. Thats why I always let SWMBO pay for the ice creams !!................... slywink

Denshaw

It just goes to show how much profit they make,i doubt if i will stop buying the ices though,i am a lost cause when it comes to walking past an ice cream van.By the way has the little food cabin on Trent Embankment closed for good,we where there on Sunday and it didn't look very promising.

£5.80 for 2 ice creams !!!!

That would have given me a severe financial cramp of the wallet !

We went with the 2 year old grandaughter to Falmouth on Saturday and nipped into the Tesco Metro on the sea front for some salad bits and whilst there picked up a carton of 4 Cornettos for 99 pence .

Reckon that saved about 7 pounds if we had bought from the ice cream van on the edge of the car park and grandaughter enjoyed hers just as much .

Well done that man !

Don't pay RIP OFF prices, refuse & do without, then the prices will come down.

a few weeks ago warm day were going to stop matlock bath for icecream it was so busy we drove strait through decided to try matlock meadows ice cream parlour tea room farm up near sainsburys near matlock station working farm .very nice we both had toasted tea cakes andfresh filtered coffee and a small tub two scoops icecreammade on the farm piggy had strawberry and i had black forest chocolate with cherrys in and very nice it all was too just over 12 pounds for the lot very reasonable we thought lots of baby anymals about too lambs ,goats,pigs calfs, rabbits chicks nice to see them too lots of toilets and sinks for hand washing the tea shop is on the end of the barn and it smelt a bit on the outside but as soon as you got through the doors no smells at all very clean and tidy too.

Don't forget the beautiful Peak District for a good day out,we went to Bakewell yesterday,plenty of little shops to call in,i did think some were expensive though,and for some delicious fish and chips,try the chippie next to the Co-Op car park,we have been there 4 times and always been very pleased.Even if you don't want to get out of the car,just enjoy the scenery it is spectacular.

Just Thought where we are going today,If you fancy a day with a difference try The Monkey Forest at Trenthem,you can walk among the monkeys,plenty of giggles at there antics,restaurant,adventure park,we always take our picnic but you can get the usual food,and of course my icecream.Check it out on the Internet for travel distance and entry prices. Have a good day every one.

Thought of another 2 we thoroughly enjoyed Conkers in the National forest,great assault course,kids loved it,i got stuck a few times much to their amusement,but very educational as well,and Twycross Zoo which has all the usual attractions and a bonus that it is all flat for easy walking.

I took the kids to the Monkey Forest when our Adam was still in a pushchair ! It was quite enjoyable till we came to the extremely steep bit (OK for me , but it was a bugger with the pushchair!)

we're is the monkey forest (trenthem, never heard of it) my little one loves animals, especially monkeys! she does the noises, ever so funny!

we're is the monkey forest (trenthem, never heard of it) my little one loves animals, especially monkeys! she does the noises, ever so funny!

Hi pixie, the Monkey Forest is just outside Stoke at a Place Called Trenthem,i am not sure how far from Notts,it is,I can't imagine it is more than 1 1/2hrs,but check it out on internet,approx 5mins off junction 15 on M6 at Stoke.i Looked on the internet and there is plenty of info,best to see just in case its no good for your little one.The monkeys roam among you.

Take the the A50 from Junction 24 of the M1 and head to Stoke .

When it runs out, just past the Britannia Stadium, keep left and take the A500 left signed M6 south.

Drive on for approx 1 mile to exit A34 , turn left and continue past Trentham Gardens, the Monkey Forest is about a mile further on , on the right.

It's an OK sort of place. If you're infirm don't continue past the third troop of Monkeys (There aren't any more anyway !! Well there weren't 7 years ago !) as it gets a bit steep and rugged.

lets all go! lol.

my daughter will fit in well, she's a monkey her self!

I'm sure she will enjoy herself there Pixie,When we were there one of the monkeys stole some ones scarf and ran up the tree much to every ones delight,the babies are so cute and the females look after them and cuddle them just like we do,well similar anyway,and its nice when they are fed because the keepers involve every one in it ,hope you have a nice day if you make it sometime.

Hi every one, my hubby just reminded me of another great destination for you day trippers,in need of a change,these places are all mainly West Midland way and we have visited them many times, from when our offspring were small to adulthood and still thoroughly enjoy.

The West Midland Safari Park

Bewdley

There are plenty of things there to use up a full day,Fair, Restaurants, Cafes,Reptiles,You can even walk through a closed in area with bats flying among you,and a MeerKat enclosurer,my fave part. Miniture Train free to take you back and forth from car park.As usual check the Internet to make sure its OK for you.

I forgot to add at the Safari park there are the usual rabbits,little goats etc for the little ones to feed,and Hippo's in the pool to watch,i am sure you'r little one would enjoy it Pixie, and any one else with children to keep amused during the coming school holidays.

When my boys were little we had Woburn Safari Park on our doorstep and I took them there quite often, they loved the monkey enclosure most of all, with the monkeys jumping all over the car (and sometimes trying to rip the windscreen wipers off!!). I had a scary moment once though when my car conked out. Fortunately we weren't in the lion enclosure, but in the area where giraffes and camels were roaming about. There were no rangers about to help but I knew what the problem was with the car, a loose battery lead. I managed to fix it myself and we carried on through the park. The trouble with these safari parks and zoos (Whipsnade was another of our regular haunts) is that they are a very expensive day out for a family. I think nowadays it's around £20 per adult and probably about £12 each kid. It soon mounts up when you add in the ice creams!

I agree LizzieM they can be expensive,the saving grace with the West Midland Safari Park is you get free entry for a second visit,which is good for the likes of us as it is only about 30/40mins drive,but not so good if you have a long journey,i must add the free entry must be in the same car and same amount of passengers,your car reg is noted on your ticket.They don't have the monkey enclosure any more i think the monkeys got some kind of illness and they had to get rid of them,but they were funny it was a shame to lose them.

• 3 weeks later...

During the 80s the local llibraries in Notts. had some good, free leaflets containing off road walks around the Notts. fields and rivers. I did many of these walks and would recommend them for a day out. They ranged from a couple of miles to about 7 miles. Easy going on footpaths for the most part..