Back to Much Wenlock and the locale tomorrow, just till Monday, but it's a change and that's as good as a rest as they say (Who "They" are I don't know, but they're a clever bunch aren't they?)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Off today, taking Granddaughter to Twycross Zoo, I’m all excited “Going to the zoo zoo zoo going to the zoo zoo zoo how about you you you I’m going to the zoo zoo zoo”    

That’s the great thing about having grandchildren - you can go to places like zoos, seasides and adventure parks etc and share in their excitement without people thinking you’re weird if you go on you

Ayup Miducks If anyone out there is thinking of a day out and not sure where to go,i would just like to pass one of our faves on to you,it is only 30mins from us and about 2 hrs(ish) from Notts,The p

Back safe and sound and sat here scoffing a "Paddy Ryans" Steak and Mushroom pie !

We're going to try to get back there again before the bad weather sets in!!

Glad you all had a good time Beefsteak, The weather is starting to look a bit dicey so i hope you manage to get your return visit, you never know, we might get an Indian summer , it has been known. We have got to go and get some of the pies from "Paddy Ryan's" it sounds like we are missing a treat, got to be careful because i love pies and once i get the taste, its hard to stop. As soon as we have dropped our Granddaughter at school (first day back) we are coming home to Nottingham for a couple of hours, lots of dashing around trying to fit every thing in before getting back to pick her back up at 3pm., Still worth coming home though, if we have time we will have a sandwich on the Embankment, That's like a proper day trip. :biggrin:

Had a wander over to carni's neck of the woods today, The Black Country Museum !

Good day out but whatever you do, take your own food & drink, much too expensive. The biggest Rip-Off I detest is when they charge £2.50 to park your car, after paying £15.50 a piece admission charge.

"Will you gift aid your admission so we can get 25% paid back to us from your income tax payments sir ?" NO chance.

Otherwise a good day out & very friendly staff.

Will post some pics when I can get around to it !

Daughters and grandchild have come up to Moffat for a visit this week. Took them up To The Grey Mares Tail. Beautiful. Sat amid the hills under a blue sky, with no sound other than the water falling 200 feet to the burn below and the sheep grazing the hills. Paradise. I realise it's not remotely near Nottingham but just had to share the moment.

#80 Catfan,

Good to know you had a nice time at the Black Country Museum and i fully agree with you about being charged for the car park, it is a rip off to have to pay for parking when you are paying such a lot for the entrance fee. It must put people of a return visit.We usually wait until they put two for one vouchers in the local paper, its usually just out of season when they do that, so sometimes there isn't quite so many activities on. There is another Victorian Town Museum that i mentioned earlier, which is very good, its called Blists Hill near Telford, but it would be best to check it out on Google to see if there are any unexpected charges.

My wife and I were both born and bought up in Arnold and one of the great things about Arnold was its variety of shops and eateries, then gradually shops started to close to be replaced by charity shops, money lending establishments, amusement arcades and bookies shops even the once vibrant market has lost its appeal. I was told that the reason for the mass exodus was down to massive increases in rents and rates on the properties.

Arnold was once such a vibrant place to live, work and shop. To add insult to injury I've been told that what remaining shoppers have stayed loyal to the depleting traders are now being charged for the privelidge of parking. When will the councill see sense and restore a once vibrant shoppng centre from the unfortunate disaster it is today

You can park for up to two hours for free in Arnold in any of the council car parks.

Unfortunately, the damage to shopping was done when the previous council leaders decided to charge and its taking time to recover from the decimation that caused.

Arnold, like many of the suburbs, has gone downhill over the last few years. Part of it is the general recession, but I reckon the main reason is thanks to the voracious appetite for profit we see from the big supermarkets which is choking the life out of small businesses and has changed people's shaping habits.

Although there are parts of Nottingham which seem to be doing quite well - Hyson Green, for example. But much of the revival there is thanks to lots of Asian and East European shops.

If you have a family in tow it's worth while getting the 'tourist pass' thingummy for the museums in the Telford/ Ironbrige area, it's a hefty saving .

Whilst on the subject of Telford, I took the family to the Odeon there to watch "Planes" on Sunday afternoon. They charge £1.50 all day on a Sunday to park there !! I hate that notion with such a passion.

I also paid 27 quid for tickets and 20 odd quid in 'Costas coffee' whilst we killed the hours wait 'cause they'd got the film advertised at the wrong time !!

Is it any wonder more and more films are being downloaded from the net ?!

• 6 months later...

We did all the usual visits on Sunday as the weather was so nice, Stourport on Severn was the first call. If you have children and want a nice destination for a day out, this is a good place to go. I have mentioned it before, but it has had a revamp. The fair has had new rides and been generally updated, plenty of foody places and activities for the kiddies. Check it out for travelling distance and suitability to your liking. :)

Plenty of car parks but you do have to pay!

• 5 years later...
  • 2 years later...

That’s the great thing about having grandchildren - you can go to places like zoos, seasides and adventure parks etc and share in their excitement without people thinking you’re weird if you go on your own.  I love making sandcastles, but even our two youngest grandchildren will soon be too ‘grown up’ to do that anymore.    I need some great grandchildren!!

• Like 3

I don’t need to have Ez or my kids with me to build sandcastles, I’m top sandcastle builder & deep hole digger, until I find water, sea shell picker upper & see how far you can swim out to sea, off to Skeg for Bank Holiday, see you on beach, bring your cossie, bucket & spade, get you ice cream. 

• Like 2
  • 9 months later...

Once on a day trip by coach to Skeggy with my best mate at school , as we passed through the country side my mate pointed to a big manor house through the trees , and said "there's that all "   i said what hall is that ?  He replied " bogger hall " and laughed uncontrollably,  and once we stepped off the coach at skeggy seafront , i noticed the bracing sea hair go right through my polyester short sleeved shirt , and said come on lets get into the nearest pub , i am freezing , which turned into a pub crawl and hunt for where the coach dropped us off !

• 1 month later...

I never went to Skeggy until I was about 18 and belonged to a hiking group. In my life I’ve only been twice. Have I missed anything?

The short answer is No! The same goes for Cleethorpes

The long answer, as a kid all I really remember from going to Skegness on the "pit trip" with my mum, dad and brother is the walk from the station down Lumley Rd to the beach. The smell of the shops making rock and the aroma of fish and chips and stale beer passing the pubs. When we got to the beach I remember that the sea was still a long way from the promenade. The amusement park was pretty good though. Never went there for a holiday, in that area we preferred Golden Sands at Mablethorpe

nonnaB. Looking at where you are geographically now, you’ve probably missed nothing. I spent many years around Skeg as a youngster. Used to stay at a bungalow on Wall Lane Ingoldmells . The beach donkeys were in the field at the back and behind that Butlins where I remember Heinz belting out the song,  “Just like Eddie” My Aunty lived at Mumby station house and Sutton on Sea and used to spend most of my summers there as a kid.

Oztalgion, my Uncle worked at Trusthorpe caravan park and my brother used to run the model railway at Mablethorpe next to the funfair up until about 8 years ago.

9 hours ago, MRS B said:

Oztalgion, my Uncle worked at Trusthorpe caravan park and my brother used to run the model railway at Mablethorpe next to the funfair up until about 8 years ago.

My boss had a caravan at Trusthorpe and I sometimes went with her on our closing day.