• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Off today, taking Granddaughter to Twycross Zoo, I’m all excited “Going to the zoo zoo zoo going to the zoo zoo zoo how about you you you I’m going to the zoo zoo zoo”    

That’s the great thing about having grandchildren - you can go to places like zoos, seasides and adventure parks etc and share in their excitement without people thinking you’re weird if you go on you

Ayup Miducks If anyone out there is thinking of a day out and not sure where to go,i would just like to pass one of our faves on to you,it is only 30mins from us and about 2 hrs(ish) from Notts,The p

Thanks for that info Lizzie M. I was contemplating spending the middle week of my holiday in London ,but may revise it to Nottingham. The only thing is ,in London there are dozens of indoor activities to help cope with the awful English weather.

Lots of indoor things to do in Nottingham. The caves to visit, the Castle, Wollaton Hall, Further out Clumber, Rufford Park, Papplewick Pumping Station, Newstead Abbey to name a few. And of course the pubs...

if anyone is looking for something to do today erawash museum ilkeston town centre behind the church market square 1940s day free admission be going soon for a hour or so .

Many thanks for the heads up carni !

Had a wander over to the Monkey Forest with mrs catfan today, had a wonderful time.

Everything was spot on & the staff there were brilliant too, will certainly visit again.

p1000350-web_zpsb4519e0e.jpg

p1030506-web_zps7f9cd916.jpg

No, not Mrs Catfan !

p1000364-web_zps09db88f8.jpg

• Upvote 1

My wife finally persuaded me to go on a coach, day trip to Freiburg im Breisgau in the Black forest, yesterday and to tell the truth I liked it, 45euros, the price included midday meal, that was very filling and entry tickets to 3 museums.

I never thort I would like coach trips, but now, I am planning a trip to Lausanne in Switzerland

MELTONSTILTON

Great to hear you and you're wife had a good trip,where ever we go we always share the driving and the beauty of a coach trip is that you can both sight see together without having to worry about who is driving taking their eyes of the road.We go on a coach trip at the end of Jan or Feb with the over 60s every year for usually 4/5 nights some where in Gt Britain and love it,very cold tho,Hope you both enjoy you're Switzerland trip and enjoy many more in the future.

had a great day at the 1940s day lots of friends there we dond see very often

Thanks for that info Lizzie M. I was contemplating spending the middle week of my holiday in London ,but may revise it to Nottingham.

Do we get to meet Stan the man on this visit?

Thanks to that first post in this thread, we went for a visit to the area a month or so back. As I mentioned we went to find the pie shop in Much Wenlock but it was Wednesday (half day) so we decided to find a bit of time and visit the area when it was 'open'..... :biggrin:

Any road up, guess who's hitting the area for a week at the end of the month ?!

Strange area to go for a , cough, cough, 'summer holiday' I know, but I've already found loads to do in the locale (Plus the farm we're staying on has a fishing lake !!!)

slywink

We don't always need the seaside for a holiday Beefsteak,You are going to one of the many beautiful parts of our country,Living in West Mids we visit at

least one

of these places each week.Here are a few of our faves...Ludlow (with castle ruins),Much Wenlock (and Priory),BridgeNorth(and River Severn plus Steam

railway rides),Stourport on Severn (with River boat trips,fair and general eateries,riverside walks),Bewdley (Safari Park),Clee Hills(Beautiful views ) A4117going

from Ludlow to Bewdley ,IronBridge nr Telford (first Iron Bridge built plus Museums) Blists Hill nr Telford (Victorian Town),Black Country Museum,and

Dudley Zoo at Dudley.

It's RAF Cosford for the food festival and the RAF museum one day, Bridgenorth for the funicular and the SVR another, obviously fishing whilst they take a bike ride around the lanes, Iron Bridge and the surrounding museums, an NT property near Shrewsbury has a kids day and I had looked at Stourport, re a boat trip etc

I have couple of surprises in store but if I tell you I'll have to kill you !!...............LOL

sheridan trans peak servis from norringham will take you into bakewell or baslow from there local bus into the grounds of chatsworth or from baslow you can take footpath about 3 miles if you are fit and able a nice walk if you can do it you can also get of trans peak at rowsley and walk through beely to chatsworth about the same distance we go through the grounds once every week or so.

Go on Babs, giz a clue, where's norringham?....................... slywink

• 4 weeks later...

Well we're back !

We had a really good time.

Biggest disappointment was the food fair at RAF Cosford, £12 in and no free samples ! on the plus side we did get 3 fly pasts of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Dakota (still no back door on it Rog !)

Bridgenorth was nice and very reasonable priced, paid to park, picnic by the river, up the funicular, a walk round the top to the castle ruins, back down for an ice cream from the shop at the bottom a pint of maggots (More on that shortly) and still had change from a twenty !

Sunday found us down at Stourport for a boat ride (Not too impressed with that) but then we sat in the park and listened to a jazz band play all afternoon , again over a picnic.

I managed a day and a half on the fishing lake ( after i got the maggots) and bagged up with loads of Carp to 10lb !

All in all, 7 nights camping with electrical hookup included for £105 ! (Oh and a fiver for the fishing ) plus they did us a "Farmhouse Breakfast" each for 14 quid!

Lovely place , we are definitely going back in a couple of weeks.

Oh and Paddy Ryans Faggots are to die for !! (I've just put half a dozen in the freezer!)

Thanks Carni

We didn't go near the SVR as I know full well I'd have wanted to go on it and SWMBO was already doing me favours by letting me go fishing !

I liked Ryans scratchings, (I had two bags of them over the week!) and the kids loved his Cheese and Onion Pasties, I tried a 'Cornish', yes it was rammed to the gunnels with meat but it lacked in flavour for some reason (Maybe it's an age and taste buds thing!) SWMBO had a piece of Cheese and Onion Quiche which she says she would have preferred warm but we don't have a microwave oven in the tent .........yet !

Steak pies next time (We're going back in a couple of weeks)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Post #8. Indeed Loppylugs, what's up wi skeggy? Nowt as far as I can see! Anyone else ever go there these days?

This is a scan of a badge I used to wear whilst Morris Dancing ini Notts. in the early 80s:

scan0001.jpg?gl=GB