King of the French pub - Nottingham.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DOES ANYBODY KNOW ANY THING ABOUT THIS PUB.  THINK IT COULD HAVE BEEN IN THE LACE MARKET OVER A HUNDRED YEARS AGO.    PIGGYS FISHING CLUB IS BELIVED TO BE THE OLDEST IN NOTTINGHAM ALTHOUGH ONLY 3 MEMB

The only google mentions of this pub are from when Babs has mentioned it here on Nottstalgia , to do with the fishing club ........ seems unusual for a town pub . Wonder if it was any of these buildi

I have just spent an hour reading through this topic. So much information starting with the Woolpack lane area and then on to other streets of Nottingham. Well worth, mashing a cup of tea and settling

Bingo! Mary Reaville was Grandma.

Bubblewrap, does it indicate how long they were there for because the night the bombs fell on Nottingham and wiped out the Co-op, they were living at 8 Holme Road in West Bridgeford.

Can you send me any documents etc electronically? Happy to pay any cost.

Thanks again.

Trevor , Reaville with an e on the end is a rarer spelling of the name . Most results in census searches are spelt Reavill.

Did you know there was a Reaville's Yard in Nottingham . The map guys will know better but think its in the Forman Street area .Its mentioned in the second page of the newspapers archive results here:

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/newspapers/results?&firstName=&lastName=reaville&county=ALL&keywords=&includeVariants=true&pageNumber=1&region=East+Midlands%2C+England

Did you know there was a Reaville's Yard in Nottingham . The map guys will know better but think its in the Forman Street area .

Hint taken. Not perfectly clear, but readable I hope. Learned something new - Forman Street was known as North Street until around 1900.

reavill.jpg

Cliff Ton , You are on the ball this morning !

In those news reports , 1905 was the latest date for mentioning Reavilles Yard as being off North Street .

I guess it was renamed Foreman Street after the owners of the Evening Post , T.Bailey Foreman .

Bingo! Mary Reaville was Grandma.

Bubblewrap, does it indicate how long they were there for because the night the bombs fell on Nottingham and wiped out the Co-op, they were living at 8 Holme Road in West Bridgeford.

Can you send me any documents etc electronically? Happy to pay any cost.

Thanks again.

After 1941 my next directory is a Blair's of 1967.

Trouble with directories is they are quite rare & can be expensive.

I only paid £30 - £40 for mine but I have see the range £80 - £130

Hint taken. Not perfectly clear, but readable I hope. Learned something new - Forman Street was known as North Street until around 1900.

If you remember a while back on one of my posts (lost it) Cliff Ton I showed the route to Nottingham for large traffic from the North was Mansfield Road/North Street/Parliament Street.

The access via Milton street was extremely narrow until it was widened.Hence the name North Street as most traffic from the North had to turn right at the bottom of Mansfield Road at what is now Trinity square and up North street to enter the city.

my mum and dad lived at 37 sneinton hermitage when they got married with dads mum i think 1937

my mum and dad lived at 37 sneinton hermitage when they got married with dads mum i think 1937

There is nothing listed for 37 Sneinton Hermitage for 1941

There was a George Edmund Haywood living there in 1932.

know that was there address on marriage certificate couse i got a copy march 29 1037 but they could have lived with someone other than grama

If you remember a while back on one of my posts (lost it) Cliff Ton I showed the route to Nottingham for large traffic from the North was Mansfield Road/North Street/Parliament Street.

The access via Milton street was extremely narrow until it was widened.Hence the name North Street as most traffic from the North had to turn right at the bottom of Mansfield Road at what is now Trinity square and up North street to enter the city.

Must admit I don't remember that particular thread but I'm sure you're right. :cool:

One which I do remember on a subject in that area, was the thread about finding the location of Melbourne Street; which turned out to be the early name for the stretch of Mansfield Road near what is now Vic Centre clock tower.

Didn't find the post but have found the reference to North Street where I got the info...4th paragraph.Interesting that Milton Street was said at one time to have a slope similar to Pelham Street.Thousands of tons of sandstone must have been removed to lower the whole area.

http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/articles/tts/tts1910/nottinghamstreets1.htm

Didn't find the post but have found the reference to North Street where I got the info...4th paragraph.Interesting that Milton Street was said at one time to have a slope similar to Pelham Street.Thousands of tons of sandstone must have been removed to lower the whole area.

http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/articles/tts/tts1910/nottinghamstreets1.htm

I have a feeling it might have been the thread a few months ago about the two Dog and Partridges near Parliament Street bridge - but I'm blessed if I can find it either.

Trevor , Reaville with an e on the end is a rarer spelling of the name . Most results in census searches are spelt Reavill.

Did you know there was a Reaville's Yard in Nottingham . The map guys will know better but think its in the Forman Street area .Its mentioned in the second page of the newspapers archive results here:

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/newspapers/results?&firstName=&lastName=reaville&county=ALL&keywords=&includeVariants=true&pageNumber=1&region=East+Midlands%2C+England

Thanks DAVIDW, Will ask Jean next time I talk to her about Reaville's Yard but I cannot remember anyone talking about it.

In that same newspaper archive, the Joan Reaville coming 3rd in the Queens Walk School athletics would have to be my mother.

I believe that the Sybil Reaville attending the wedding and mentioned in the same archive result was my late Aunt on my mothers side but will confirm with Jean on all 3 issues..

Thanks Cliff Ton and Bubblewrap for your generous help.

Now, one last question, how do you print off the newspaper articles in the archives big enough to read without a bloody magnifying glass? I can only print the full page of the newspaper on A4 paper.

sure we had a revelle family living on deabil st and they had a son but carnt think of his name think he might have been in my younger brothers year so about 60 now

Now, one last question, how do you print off the newspaper articles in the archives big enough to read without a bloody magnifying glass? I can only print the full page of the newspaper on A4 paper.

There may be better ways but I have found 2 methods and both involve the Microsoft "PAINT" software that is probably on your computer . May work in other image editing software but haven't tried .

I'm assuming the page that you have downloaded is a pdf file .

method 1) Open the page and use the side scroll bar to bring the article on the page into view . Use the magnifying tool to make the text larger if needed .

Then on your keyboard , press "Control" (Ctrl) and "Print screen" (PrtSc) . This will only capture the actual image on your screen , nothing else .

Open the PAINT programme and from the top menu press Edit and from the drop-down select Paste and the screen image should show . Then print .

method 2 ) Open the pdf file and move curser over text . Cursor is like a cross hair (or a +) .

Position cursor in the top left of the text you are interested in , then left-click and drag to the right and down to cover the text you need, keeping left-click held down . Highlighted part will be light blue .

As soon as you release left-click , it will turn dark blue .

Then move cursor over this highlighted part and right click and select "Copy Image" and then paste into Paint as before .

Trevor I read this article in the recent Bygones issue I have , in which it mentions Alfred Hitchcocks wife was an Alma Reville who strangely was from St.Anns. One more letter and she might have been a relo !

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/City-woman-helped-Hitchcock-world-fame/story-12168052-detail/story.html#axzz2VK1g8uZM

Thanks DavidW. Will give that a try re print outs.

As for Alma Reaville....can't lay a claim to that one on our side of the family; despite there being some with frightening and spooky manners!

• 4 months later...

My grandparents ran The King of the French public house on Woolpack Lane in the Lace Market during the war, its where my parents also lived when I was born in 1945. My mother is 90yrs old and has many memories of living there especially during air raids over Nottingham. It was closed down about 1946 and was demolished later to build the bowling Alley.It was good to see someone asking about it as I can never find any reference to the pub when looking for information on Nottingham, especially old pubic houses.

Welcome to Nottstalgia, Magruss. I look forward to reading your posts and sharing your memories. It's nice to read that your mother is living to a ripe old age and I hope that she is in good health. I'm sure that there are many Nottstalgians, like myself, who are wanting you to get your Mum talking about her past and get it all recorded. Audio or video, her memories will then be with you forever. Hopefully, you will then share some of her memories with us. I wanted to do it with my mum but, sadly, I left it too late.

Hi Magruss & welcome to the forum.

The best place to find information on "Public Houses/Beer Houses" is in the various directories.

I have found that the best is "Kelly's

But there are others eg Drake's, Wright's & Blair's(later years)

The city library have several in their reference section.

Geoff Blores two shops have some for sale but are expensive(they have some early ones at over £100)

Nottingham in the late Victorian period had over 500 pubs/beer houses(there were five in the old exchange area alone)

welcome magruss its nice to know of someone who actualy remembers the pub, my husband is going fishing tommorrow and will be takng the old 93 year old with him he orriginally started with the king of the french fishing clubjust after the war so about 1944/45ish and he says it was at the king of the french when he first began fishing with the club his father was also a member we have all the club trophys and cups at our house some of them are from the days when it first started i think that was about 1906 as far as i know the club met there from then untill the pub closed down the 93 year old arthur draycot are the only members leftbut are still carrying on the clubs name so in a way the pubs name still lives on at the moment

• Cliff Ton changed the title to King of the French pub - Nottingham.