King of the French pub - Nottingham.

SO GOOD TO HEAR THE 'kING OF THE FRENCH' FISHING CLUB IS STILL GOING STRONG IT BOUGHT BACK MEMORIES TO MY MUM DOREEN. HER PARENTS WERE BILL AND CISSIE WILFORD THEY HAD 2 OTHER GIRLS JOAN AND BETTY AND SON TOMMY. BILL AND TOM WERE KEEN FISHERMEN ALL THIER LIVES SO WOULD ALSO HAVE BEEN MEMBERS DURING THE WAR, MAYBE ARTHUR REMEMBERS THEM?

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DOES ANYBODY KNOW ANY THING ABOUT THIS PUB.  THINK IT COULD HAVE BEEN IN THE LACE MARKET OVER A HUNDRED YEARS AGO.    PIGGYS FISHING CLUB IS BELIVED TO BE THE OLDEST IN NOTTINGHAM ALTHOUGH ONLY 3 MEMB

The only google mentions of this pub are from when Babs has mentioned it here on Nottstalgia , to do with the fishing club ........ seems unusual for a town pub . Wonder if it was any of these buildi

I have just spent an hour reading through this topic. So much information starting with the Woolpack lane area and then on to other streets of Nottingham. Well worth, mashing a cup of tea and settling

I don't suppose anyone has been losing sleep worrying about the location of the King of the French, but I discovered it on a map when I was looking for something else. It's not specifically marked, but it's this place.

france.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi...I'm new to this site so apologies if this is post is not correct / of interest in anyway. My Great Grandfather is the Joe Cooper mentioned in this post who owned The King of The French from 1911 to 1936. In fact my father, who is still alive, lived there as a young man between 1933 & 1936 when Joe sold it to Shipstones & they moved back to the family home in Sneinton Hermitage. It did indeed have a fishing club & i recall my Grandmother (Joe Coopers daughter) telling me of a 30lb + pike that he brought back one day. These were different times & he had it stuffed, & put in a cabinet & it lent it to Tom Watson's Fishing shop when they were on Canal Street where it had pride of place. It moved with them to Carrington / Sherwoood Rise I guess in the late 70's & then unfortunatley we lost track of it. I remember the plaque stated that it was caught by Joe, I think it was on 16th May, although I have forgotten the year, the location was also mentioned which I have also forgotten, but think it was up near the 3 ponds at Nuthall.

I would be keen to know from any helpful folk on here where is the best place for me to look for any images of the pub. Thanks in advance...

Welcome to Nottstalgia Cityferg; you've added quite a bit of new information to the subject.

You asked about photos of the "King". It doesn't seem to have featured in any old photos, even in the background of a general scene. At least no-one here has so far discovered anything.

Picture Nottingham have several old photos of Woolpack Lane and the nearby streets, but none of them show the pub.

https://picturenottingham.co.uk/image-library.html?keywords=woolpack&keywords=lane

• 4 months later...

I have just spent an hour reading through this topic. So much information starting with the Woolpack lane area and then on to other streets of Nottingham. Well worth, mashing a cup of tea and settling down for a brouse. Great delving from DavidW, CliffTon and Bubblewrap I  never tire of this kind of Nottstalgia.

• Upvote 1
  • 4 years later...

i have been researching the family of John Langham and his wife Sarah née Ames. In the 1881 census they can be found living at 13 King Street, The King of the French in Nottingham St Mary with their two sons William and Herbert. John’s occupation is given as Beer House Keeper. In 1871 they were at a different address but John’s Occupation was give as Brewer. In 1891 John and Sarah were living at Woolpack Lane, ‘King of the French’ and his occupation was given as Beerhouse Keeper. In 1901 the couple are at 58 King St George Street, King of the French, and he is a Beer House Keeper (pub). In 1911 Sarah is a widow living with her son Herbert (retired clerk) and his family. In 1901, son William is living at 7 Sabina Terrace, Sabina Street (which I can’t find on Google Maps) but his occupation is given as Brewer (worker), perhaps he was working fir his father. In 1911, William and his wife are living at King of the French, Woolpack Lane, Nottingham and his occupation is Publican, so it seems he took over his father, John’s business. 
Hope this helps in your quest. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Esther BirchallP said:

In 1901, son William is living at 7 Sabina Terrace, Sabina Street (which I can’t find on Google Maps) but his occupation is given as Brewer (worker), 

Sabina Street and Terrace were off Alfred Street South in St Ann's.

• 11 months later...

Whilst I have no evidence to substantiate this: I have always thought that both King George on Horseback & King of the French were a nod to George Vason. A man who was in charge of Nottingham Gaol, (situated at Weekday Cross at the time,) when he died. He had previously been living on a South Sea island and had married the Kings daughter. Hence the connection. Though I admit it is tenuous.

@Cliff Ton: you never cease to amaze at how quickly you come up with information.  George Vason was a sort of A list celebrity at the time, and it would make sense for both beer houses/pubs to have honoured him at the time, as both seem to have appeared shortly after his death. Although the premises could have been used prior to this under a different name.

He seems to have been well liked, (despite being covered in tattoos)which would have made him stand out in that period.

I compiled an extensive piece on George Vason , "Nottingham's Robinson Crusoe" , a couple of years ago after seeing a mention of his gravestone in the hidden Mount St burial yard .

https://djwilson22.wordpress.com/2020/10/02/george-vason-of-nottingham-c1773-1838-and-his-south-seas-adventures/

• Like 1

Ah yes I've just re-read my piece and it says the burial ground at Mount Street disappeared in 1937 when a new road was built .

• Cliff Ton changed the title to King of the French pub - Nottingham.