king of the french pub nottingham.

Thanks DavidW. Will give that a try re print outs.

As for Alma Reaville....can't lay a claim to that one on our side of the family; despite there being some with frightening and spooky manners!

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DOES ANYBODY KNOW ANY THING ABOUT THIS PUB THINK IT COULD HAVE BEEN IN THE LACE MARKET OVER A HUNDRED YEARS AGO PIGGYS FISHING CLUB IS BELIVED TO BE THE OLDEST IN NOTTINGHAM ALTHOUGH ONLY 3 MEMBERS ST

The only google mentions of this pub are from when Babs has mentioned it here on Nottstalgia , to do with the fishing club ........ seems unusual for a town pub . Wonder if it was any of these buildi

Bubblewrap there are some more images of Kings Place here but these just show factories/warehouse http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?&user_keywords=woolpack+lane&operator=AND&t

My grandparents ran The King of the French public house on Woolpack Lane in the Lace Market during the war, its where my parents also lived when I was born in 1945. My mother is 90yrs old and has many memories of living there especially during air raids over Nottingham. It was closed down about 1946 and was demolished later to build the bowling Alley.It was good to see someone asking about it as I can never find any reference to the pub when looking for information on Nottingham, especially old pubic houses.

Welcome to Nottstalgia, Magruss. I look forward to reading your posts and sharing your memories. It's nice to read that your mother is living to a ripe old age and I hope that she is in good health. I'm sure that there are many Nottstalgians, like myself, who are wanting you to get your Mum talking about her past and get it all recorded. Audio or video, her memories will then be with you forever. Hopefully, you will then share some of her memories with us. I wanted to do it with my mum but, sadly, I left it too late.

Hi Magruss & welcome to the forum.

The best place to find information on "Public Houses/Beer Houses" is in the various directories.

I have found that the best is "Kelly's

But there are others eg Drake's, Wright's & Blair's(later years)

The city library have several in their reference section.

Geoff Blores two shops have some for sale but are expensive(they have some early ones at over £100)

Nottingham in the late Victorian period had over 500 pubs/beer houses(there were five in the old exchange area alone)

welcome magruss its nice to know of someone who actualy remembers the pub, my husband is going fishing tommorrow and will be takng the old 93 year old with him he orriginally started with the king of the french fishing clubjust after the war so about 1944/45ish and he says it was at the king of the french when he first began fishing with the club his father was also a member we have all the club trophys and cups at our house some of them are from the days when it first started i think that was about 1906 as far as i know the club met there from then untill the pub closed down the 93 year old arthur draycot are the only members leftbut are still carrying on the clubs name so in a way the pubs name still lives on at the moment

SO GOOD TO HEAR THE 'kING OF THE FRENCH' FISHING CLUB IS STILL GOING STRONG IT BOUGHT BACK MEMORIES TO MY MUM DOREEN. HER PARENTS WERE BILL AND CISSIE WILFORD THEY HAD 2 OTHER GIRLS JOAN AND BETTY AND SON TOMMY. BILL AND TOM WERE KEEN FISHERMEN ALL THIER LIVES SO WOULD ALSO HAVE BEEN MEMBERS DURING THE WAR, MAYBE ARTHUR REMEMBERS THEM?

• 1 year later...

I don't suppose anyone has been losing sleep worrying about the location of the King of the French, but I discovered it on a map when I was looking for something else. It's not specifically marked, but it's this place.

france.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi...I'm new to this site so apologies if this is post is not correct / of interest in anyway. My Great Grandfather is the Joe Cooper mentioned in this post who owned The King of The French from 1911 to 1936. In fact my father, who is still alive, lived there as a young man between 1933 & 1936 when Joe sold it to Shipstones & they moved back to the family home in Sneinton Hermitage. It did indeed have a fishing club & i recall my Grandmother (Joe Coopers daughter) telling me of a 30lb + pike that he brought back one day. These were different times & he had it stuffed, & put in a cabinet & it lent it to Tom Watson's Fishing shop when they were on Canal Street where it had pride of place. It moved with them to Carrington / Sherwoood Rise I guess in the late 70's & then unfortunatley we lost track of it. I remember the plaque stated that it was caught by Joe, I think it was on 16th May, although I have forgotten the year, the location was also mentioned which I have also forgotten, but think it was up near the 3 ponds at Nuthall.

I would be keen to know from any helpful folk on here where is the best place for me to look for any images of the pub. Thanks in advance...

Welcome to Nottstalgia Cityferg; you've added quite a bit of new information to the subject.

You asked about photos of the "King". It doesn't seem to have featured in any old photos, even in the background of a general scene. At least no-one here has so far discovered anything.

Picture the Past have several old photos of Woolpack Lane and the nearby streets, but none of them show the pub. http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?&user_keywords=woolpack&operator=AND&town_village=&date_period=&database=&action=search&keywords=Ref_No_increment%2CDisk_No%2CLocal_Accession_No%2CMap_Reference%2CTown_Village%2CLocation%2CTitle%2CDate_of_Image%2CDate_Period%2COther%2CForm_completed_by%2CKey_Terms%2CThemes%2CKeywords%2CPhotographer%2CArtist%2CEngraver%2CPublisher%2CForm_of_Acknowledgment%3BCONTAINS%3B%25woolpack%25%3B&page=3

• 4 months later...

I have just spent an hour reading through this topic. So much information starting with the Woolpack lane area and then on to other streets of Nottingham. Well worth, mashing a cup of tea and settling down for a brouse. Great delving from DavidW, CliffTon and Bubblewrap I  never tire of this kind of Nottstalgia.

• Upvote 1
  • 4 years later...
On 5/27/2013 at 6:45 PM, piggy and babs said:

DOES ANYBODY KNOW ANY THING ABOUT THIS PUB THINK IT COULD HAVE BEEN IN THE LACE MARKET OVER A HUNDRED YEARS AGO PIGGYS FISHING CLUB IS BELIVED TO BE THE OLDEST IN NOTTINGHAM ALTHOUGH ONLY 3 MEMBERS STILL KEEPING THE NAME GOING NOW 106 YEARS OLD AND FIRST MET IN THIS PUB BUT NO ONE SURE EXACTLY WERE IT WAS ANYBODY GOT ANY INFO PIGGY WAS SAYING THE OTHER DAY HE WOULD LOVE TO KNOW SO I JUST THOUGHT I WOULD TRY HERE. ARTHUR DRAYCOT THE OLDEST MEMBER AND STILL FISHING ONCE A FORTNIGHT DESPITEE NOW BEING PARCIALLY SIGHTED PIGGY BEING THE YOUNGEST AT 65 ARTHUR JOINED THE CLUB IN 1945 AFTER COMMING OUT OF THE ARMY HIS FATHER WAS A MEMBER FOR SOME YEARS BEFOR THAT BUT EVEN HE DOSE NOT REMEMBER THIS PUBONLY THE THREE TONS ANOTHER PLACE THEY USED TO MEET YEARS AGO.

i have been researching the family of John Langham and his wife Sarah née Ames. In the 1881 census they can be found living at 13 King Street, The King of the French in Nottingham St Mary with their two sons William and Herbert. John’s occupation is given as Beer House Keeper. In 1871 they were at a different address but John’s Occupation was give as Brewer. In 1891 John and Sarah were living at Woolpack Lane, ‘King of the French’ and his occupation was given as Beerhouse Keeper. In 1901 the couple are at 58 King St George Street, King of the French, and he is a Beer House Keeper (pub). In 1911 Sarah is a widow living with her son Herbert (retired clerk) and his family. In 1901, son William is living at 7 Sabina Terrace, Sabina Street (which I can’t find on Google Maps) but his occupation is given as Brewer (worker), perhaps he was working fir his father. In 1911, William and his wife are living at King of the French, Woolpack Lane, Nottingham and his occupation is Publican, so it seems he took over his father, John’s business. 
Hope this helps in your quest. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Esther BirchallP said:

In 1901, son William is living at 7 Sabina Terrace, Sabina Street (which I can’t find on Google Maps) but his occupation is given as Brewer (worker), 

Sabina Street and Terrace were off Alfred Street South in St Ann's.