Any one going to the Air Show this year,can't believe its a year already,Its on the 9th June and i have just looked at ticket prices,it is £20.00 Adults or on the gate £25.00,free parking though.

Better still, get the 'combi ticket' from Arriva wales and west trains , I don't know if they're doing it this year but there's normally quite a saving there too.

Not quite - Wales & West used to be a National Express company. It was split, as you say in 2001 because Wales wanted to have the equivalent of ScotRail - their own train operator. Unfortunately, of course, the Welsh rail network is in disjointed bits and pieces, and they have to keep crossing and re-crossing the international frontier (!) in order to join it all together. So this bit is called Arriva Trains Wales. It also absorbed the Cambrian lines (Shrewsbury - Aberystwyth/Pwellheli) from Central Trains, and the North Wales coast route (Crewe - Holyhead/Llnadudno - Blaenau Ffestiniog) from First North Western.

The Wessex bit remained with National Express for about another 4 years (from memory) before being absorbed into the new all-singing, all-dancing, all-corner-cutting, First Great Western (let as the so called Greater Western franchise, because it also took in the old Thames Trains suburban network that was previously part of Go-Ahead.)

During the first couple of years we were here in South Devon, the line between Plymouth and Exeter was served (if that is the correct word) by no less than five different operators run by five different owning groups : First Great Western did the Paddington - Penzance main line; Wessex (NatEx) did the locals; South West Trains (Stagecoach) had some through trains from Waterloo; Cross Country (at that time Virgin) did the long distance Glasgow/Edinburgh - Plymouth etc. services, and there was a once daily train from Penzance to Crewe and vice versa, via Newport and Shrewsbury, operated by Arriva Trains Wales.

What a mess!

Indeed, I was going by the content of the webpage linked in my post.

I was trying to find the offer Ian mentions.

I've not managed to track down the 'combi price' Mick . But it usually gives a fiver off of the entry price. It works out at 40 quid for me the wife and the kids so it ain't too bad. (It's also quite a nice train journey too.)

It doesn't matter who you book your initial journey with, you always end up on an Arriva Wales and West train to Cosford , you usually change at Wolverhampton.

I've just done a quick search, Nott'm -Cosford return is £26 each way ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, or alternatively get a return ticket for 25 quid , go figure !

I shall probably be making the trip down, I may actually drive this time as there will be 4 of us (I normally go on my own) 50 quid (tenner for juice!) for a fantastic day out for four people is pretty cheap when you look at the alternatives of Alton Towers etc!

Catfan

You could always park in the garden center car park just outside and watch for free,people do it every year.

Prefer Manchester Airport instead.

Airshows can get quite packed ! Fine until everyone wants to leave at the same time ! Have heard a few horror stories about the chaos at Waddington.

Funnily enough, me & Mrs Catfan sat in a pub yard in the cathedral quarter in Lincoln a couple of years ago & lots of plains flew over ! A free show !

My tongue in cheek comment about the prices of airshows was just that, a days entertainment for £20-£25 is good value. A 90 minute football match will cost a lot more than that !

You've hit the nail on the head re the 'every one leaving at the same time', that's why there's always loads of stuff to do afterwards, and that's the secret, take your time , don't be in a rush.

At waddo we have a slow wander back via the statics and then usually catch the shuttle bus back to the car, as Rog (Plantfit) doesn't live a million miles away from there it's just a quick nip through a couple of back lanes and we're away , never a real problem at that one.

Cosford always finds me on the train, and with the station right next to the airfield I have never had a real problem there either.

And as for RIAT , I'm always camping right by the airfield so I don't have a problem there either.