I was at playgroup with my daughter when one of the women who brings her grandchildren mentioned there used to be a mortuary opposite the fox and hounds pub in netherfield. any truth to this? I'm quite intrigued as I walk past it most days

Woops! my apologies. I'm on my phone so can't search for topics or have a good look. thanks for the link, I'll have a read now

pixie i know you are stillquite young but for some one who has lived in gedling and netherfield all her life you seem to know surprizing ly little about the area.

don't really know much about netherfield as my mum used to hate the place till I moved to 'the nice bit' I know a little about gedling though. I think I'm the only one in the family that loves local history as well lol

• 4 years later...

there was indeed a mortuary in netherfield opposite the fox and hounds pub . i cant remember the exact year it was built but guessing 1977, it was built because of all the backlogs during the bad economic times of the late 70's if i remember there were dead bodies stored in refridgerated lorries outside hospitals. to the best of my knowledge the mortuary was never used and the "crossing" club now stands on the land having moved from the bottom of netherfield where it was called the LMRCA club (brasso to locals)

There was a morgue there before 77. Bobster.  I worked for Clarks of Netherfield  and one of the electricians had done some work there.  He used to tell us apprentices some horror stories and we used to hope we never had to work there.  This was in the early sixties.

^^^^^^^^And they had gas over sink water heaters back in the early 60s, I remember going to repair one but can't for the life of me remember where it was. It was not my regular district but I was sent because it was considered urgent and they had no one else.

Whether that was true or whether no one else would go I never found out.

• Like 1

Now't to worry about Loppy there were lots of small mortuaries all over the place at one time it was the police mortuaries that were shall we say somewhere to be wary of, some of the coppers had a weird shall we say crude way of going on.

Leenside was notorious as I well know they had me a couple of times when we went to service kit.

As a fifteen year old it was "Have you seen a body lad"  "No Sir" said with a quiver in my voice as my fitter stood back he new what was coming. "Then come with me a pretty lady was in a car crash last night and you can shake hands with her".

"Not a chance" I replied or something along those lines. "Oh don't worry" said the copper "I'll bring her hand to you if you wait there". Me I was off up the road like a shot I can tell you, with laughter ringing in my ears.

Eighteen years old 3 days after getting my tools and going out on my own, who gets Leenside bloody me. Cocky bugger now, walk up to the desk "Any bodies in there?" I ask, "Hang on a minute I'll check" said the copper. Five minutes later he's back "No mate your all clear" Off I go into the cutting room and bugger me there is a body on a slab covered with a sheet, no problem I thought I can hack this.

Well I could till it slowly started to sit up, nearly pooped myself, out the door and off up the road again, realising afterward they had set it up whilst I was waiting for the all clear.

Now days they would be all in loads of doo-doo but then it was just seen as a joke.............

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

You've really seen life.  Or should Isay death, mate?  :Shock:.  I never did end up in one.  We re- wired the slaughter  house on Shearing Hill, Gedling though.  That wasn't a fun job either.

When you worked on EMGAS back in the 60s we were the only ones doing gas work so where ever there was gas we went. From the lowest Sneinton slum to the highest place in the Park, from factories large and small to restaurants.

If you want really weird try cleaning and servicing the baffles at Wilford Hill....... Thaty runs a shiver down most folks back but it has to be done.

Oh and before anyone jumps on me when I say Sneinton Slum I mean the housing not the folks living in it, like wise the highest place in the Park means the house not the folks living in it. Believe me I have seen good and damned awful in both places, one of the scruffiest being below stairs at the judges lodgings in the Park.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Ian, standard equipment at one time was long socks to tuck the bottoms of your overalls in, flea powder to sprinkle round said socks and a naphthalene moth hawk on string to hang round your neck to kill the smell and of course your flask. I have actually stood on my back door step and stripped to my shreadies when I got home to ensure I took nothing in my house.

Those days have long gone now, the places are still there but the guys just walk away and rightly so....

• Like 3