It's a very sad sign of the times, but the meadows stopped being stable when the factories closed across Nottingham......................

Recent statistics from the Office for National Statistics suggest residents of this city have the lowest household disposable income of anywhere in the UK.

The average income per individual householder after tax, but including benefits, is £16,034 a year. In Nottingham it is £10,834.

Also for anyone being able to have a `job' in Nottingham just take away the parking tax, from April 1 2013, the charge per space will increase to £334, rising to £364 in April 2014 and to £381 in April 2015. Its almost as though Collins has a death wish for our city.

With strong moves afoot to shift Boots manufacturing to Asia, looks as though everyone will be on the dole or employed by the state.

It's going to get an awful lot worse. There's been a huge increase in the birthrate over the past few years and the employment just won't be there when these youngsters hit the jobs market. We can't all be taxi drivers. slywink

we may be poor, but we make the best of what we got! & notts is still the home to some lovelt places and sights :)

Its hard to find any detail on this story and I am sure the same text could have been written about people on numerous estates throughout Britain . It appears to come from a survey by the Halifax .

There are other things to take into account apart from wages . Nottingham is probably cheaper for housing than many other towns and because of competition , consumer goods are cheaper too.

We live in one of the poorest towns in Cornwall but living costs are high . Despite what you see on the TV , the majority pf the population don't live in cottages overlooking a beach .There are a lot of poor people here and the foodbanks are struggling to cope . Only jobs seem to be in the care industry , all poorly paid .

I haven't checked but I imagine an ordinary terrace house would still be 50% higher to buy here than in Notts and this must transfer to rents in private tenancies . Petrol is dearer , clothes dearer (no Primarks here), water rates highest in the country .Thank God we now have Aldi and Lidl for cheaper food.

I don't often go back to Notts but I am sure there are many more areas with more deprivation .

The report,David comes from 31 May 2013 Last updated at 00:23

: The struggle to make ends meetBy Brian Milligan

Finance Reporter, BBC News

Its quite detailed and makes interestin reading.

The report,David comes from 31 May 2013 Last updated at 00:23: The struggle to make ends meetBy Brian MilliganFinance Reporter, BBC NewsIts quite detailed and makes interestin reading.

Sorry Stan , I didn't make myself clear , I had read that report on the BBC but it seemed very selective .

I wondered what data the reporter was using . Reading it again he quotes the Office of National Statistics but I think he was actually using a press release issued by the Halifax Building Soc. If you google that and an "Anthony Warrington" and "16034" (average income) you should see it . To save typing see if this link works

https://www.google.co.uk/search?safe=images&source=android-browser-suggest&client=tablet-android-samsung&redir_esc=&q=google&hl=en-GB&qsubts=1370082052409#sclient=tablet-gws&client=tablet-android-samsung&hl=en&source=android-browser-suggest&q=%22anthony+warrington%22+%2C+halifax%2C+average+income+16034%2C+&oq=%22anthony+warrington%22+%2C+halifax%2C+average+income+16034%2C+&gs_l=tablet-gws.12...0.0.0.1566569.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0...0.0...1c..15.tablet-gws-psy._Tl9VhQ5tiM&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.&fp=a46ea417e697a20f&biw=1280&bih=800

Using my tablet , its a bit difficult to find the actual data on the National Statistics website but there is this chart that seems to suggest that the East Midlands is pretty much the same as everwhere else (apart from London) when it comes to people in paid employment .

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/ashe/annual-survey-of-hours-and-earnings/2012-provisional-results/stb-ashe-statistical-bulletin-2012.html#tab-Regional-earnings

Stop the Chavs from breeding ...job solved..

indeed! I'm a young mum but I prey to god I don't look or seem like a chav. we're I live I'm for ever seeing these chavvy mums fagging it while pushing a push chair and being pregnant too. or their gobbing off at their kids, makes me shudder. its like they can't be bothered with them, quite sad really.

oh I know, theres a few chavvy mums in their 30s+ and they look horrendous with their hair scraped back and in their most unfeminine clothing. people assume young mums are mostly chavs and were not. used to live near a girl, quite chavvy, but you'd never see her in tracksuits but you know what I mean.... she'd allways be screaming at her daughter and dragging her down the street or throwing hee boyfriends stuff out the bedroom window and shouting at him from the window to down the street, what happened to women being, women?

How right you are !

Have you read the article in today`s Post? 5 generations on either side of a young couple with there first baby. One of the GREAT Grandmothers is 54years ! Imagine what age her reproductive life commenced at!!!

i had a school friend who had her first baby at 19 whent on to have four more know she was a grama at 32 dont know if she has great grand children as she know in her 60s i prosume she has but do know she married for the 1st time about 4 years ago

Quote Pixie, "what happened to women being women?"

Seemed to start mostly around the time of the feminist movement and when men stopped being gentlemen. I could go on at length but it would probably get me into trouble so I'll quit barking while I'm still ahead.

i think you are wrong loppy still lots of true gentlemen and real ladies of our generation i thinkthe troubles realy started when they abolished crpral punishment of any kind including disaplining your own children children were given to many rights and used them to there own advantage and gradually things have got worse.

Can't disagree with you, Babs. There are always exceptions and much of the problem does lie in a lack of genuine loving discipline. Major problem today is that we have kids raising kids. If the blind lead the blind they will both fall into the ditch. Notice your three key words "Of our generation." We know we are not perfect but we were raised with some very different standards.

I too was astonished to read the article about Notts being the poorest city in the land, but then I reviewed what we'd been saying about Broadmarsh and the Meadows and I guess the evidence is clear.

It's all looking very run-down.

Yes, they're putting in a shiny new tram system but where's it going to go - Clifton ? Is it supposed to be taking masses of people into the city centre ? On current evidence it looks like people are staying away.

I think the highly-paid local councillors who run things have let Nottingham down very badly.

Ill thought out schemes, high spending. Piling on the misery for people with massive rents and business rates.

Parking charges etc. etc.

The last I heard was that Boots was going to move it's car park to avoid the huge levy that the council is going to impose, but shifting the whole thing to Asia instead looks like a realistic scenario.