every weekend I make a point of taking little one somewhere if the weather's alright.

but every weekend I struggle to think of somewhere to go!

any suggestions for nice places to visit in and around nottingham? preferably free or cheap entry.

This reminds me of 60 years ago when my dad would always take me out, weather permitting, on his Saturday mornings off (he was in the railway goods offices on Carrington Street and worked alternate Saturday mornings). Our destinations (as far as I can remember - and of course, some are no longer there) : Wollaton Park (and hall), Highfields (and a rowing boat on the lake), Victoria station, Midland station, Trent Bridge (and a rowing boat on the river), Clifton Grove, The Castle, Arnot Hill Park, Woodthorpe Park, Melbourne Park (when we were hard up I guess, and couldn't afford any bus fare!), Broxtowe Woods, Colwick Woods. After moving to Long Eaton in 1954, it was Trent Lock, Cranfleet Canal, West Park, Trent station, and down the Erewash Canal to the Sheet Stores.

Then in the Summer there were family picnics - Lambley Dumbles, Edwinstowe (Sherwood Forest), Trent Lock, Strelley, Misk Hills (Hucknall), Newstead Abbey, Alfreton, Matlock Bath, plus blackberry picking at Kimberley, and bluebell picking (not allowed any more) near Moorgreen reservoir. I remember also a coach trip to Ilam Hall and Dovedale, around 1953 - cars queueing all the way down the hill from Thorpe village down to Ilam.

I feel like we've gone every where, I hate being in over the weekend's so I make full use of the other half being off to drive us. although he's working this morning so we can't get out till around 1, but its rare he works a Saturday so I don't mind

Sounds a good chap your dad,Stephen. Any brothers and sisters?(you)

Aye, he was Stan. Very talented pianist, but he contracted Parkinson's Disease just before I was born, which gradually and cruelly disabled his playing. He was born and brought up in the Meadows - his parents had a (sweet?) shop on Bathley Street, and his dad (my grandad) played the flute at the old Playhouse. They went up-market (!) about 1930 - to Fernleigh Avenue, off Westdale Lane, and then shortly before the war, bought one of the newly-built "upside-down" houses on Pilkington Road, Mapperley. Dad went to Trent Bridge boys school, and I still have his school reports somewhere, showing that he was pretty intelligent, and regarded as a potential leader. Sadly, the effects of Parkinson's put paid to any such ambitions, and he remained a respectable railway clerk until he retired early, in the 1960s. He died at 67, just three months before my lad was born.

Yes I have one sister, 5 years younger than me. Funny - I mentioned that dad used to take me in a rowing boat at Highfields or Trent Bridge. When he started taking my sister out for Saturday morning walks, mum said to him, "Don't you dare take her out in a boat!" and dad replied, "I wouldn't dare - I know she wouldn't sit still enough."

Small world Stephen , my brother used to live on Pilkington Road , in the 80s and only yesterday I was saying to my wife how my mum and dad used to love to go to Highfields , not for the boats but to see the Rhodedendrons (spelling ? ) in bloom , which if its the same as here should be about this time of year .

Try Wollaton Park, I don't know if the museums are still free (They were last time I was there) There's a loverly walk to be had round the lake too , and there used to be an adventure playground too (Don't know if that's still there though.

Small world Stephen , my brother used to live on Pilkington Road , in the 80s and only yesterday I was saying to my wife how my mum and dad used to love to go to Highfields , not for the boats but to see the Rhodedendrons (spelling ? ) in bloom , which if its the same as here should be about this time of year .

David, I can just remember visiting the grandparents at Pilkington Road - they moved away in 1953. It was strange going into the front door of what looked like a bungalow, and finding yourself on the landing with a flight of stairs down to the kitchen and living rooms. There was a row of them - all on the left hand side as you went from the Kenrick Road end. I think they were built about 1937, and in deference to their exclusiveness, they had no numbers - the first buyers were allowed to choose the name. My grandad was a fan of Shakespeare, and he said theirs was to be called "Padua" - the seat of learning, from the Merchant of Venice. I think the first of the row was occupied by a Mr and Mrs Callow - the latter of whom owned a rather primitive pressure cooker, nicknamed "the bomb." It tended to be borrowed up and down the road - until one occasion when the safety valve became blocked, and it lived up to its name, exploding - fortunately in an otherwise empty kitchen - and driving bits of shrapnel and food into the walls and ceiling. I seem to remember that the next door neighbours on one side were a Mr and Mrs Quilliam. But obviously, it is unlikely that any of these would still have been there when your brother was living there in the 80s.

Sounds good,wish we were there,would be nice to see some thing happening on the square as we were in Notts in March and the Square looked all grey and dull,the square used to be a meeting place for so many people,especially the lions,when my hubby came to Notts for the first time,guess where we arranged to meet,By the Lion on the left,Where else! LoL

arnold festival this weekend arnot hill park 25 bus from parks corner plenty to do and nice play areasfor little one flypast by lancaster tommorow i think

Pixie have you tried Stonebridge City Farm

I left school early (15) and had to do something at college. so I worked at stone bridge and studied animal care :) its a lovely little farm, be nice to go there again to visit but the other half won't park his car in the area, so I plan to take Paige on the bus one week day when its nice.

we ended up going to Sherwood forest, although at first the satnav took us to baseford!? turns out it took us to Sherwood forest ltd! for the other half to turn around and say 'I know how to get there, why are we using satnav!?' so we got there at about half 2, had a walk around, little one refused to go in her pushchair so ot was a good run around for her to burn off some energy, we was hiding from daddy behind tree's and taking him up paths he couldn't get the stroller up with ease, muahaha!

a news letter I got said the festival at Arnot park is on the 16th of june? ooer. whenever it is, according to this news letter there's 3 planes flying over. Lancaster, spitfire and another.

also, saw a few old cars heading towards wollaton hall, according to Google, autokarna classic car show is on tomorrpw at wollaton park 10am-4pm. still abit uneasy about going there after what happened though with my daughter almost being kidnapped. we was goinf to give up and go there today when tw*tnav took us somewhere else, but I couldnt bring myself to it. I realise it may sound silly.

Shipley park is lovely, clumber and rufford parks are good for days out too, and of course Sherwood forest. Lots of activites for all the family at all of these.

Hi, Arnot Park is on the 15th and 16th of June as we will be at their craft fair. Floralands Garden Centre is nice for all ages, there is a farm park, craft cabins, and a cafe. Not sure if you have to pay to go in the farm park, but they do have a web site,

sorry i must have miss read the post been so busy this week rush reading things instead of reading them properly.just gor in from my old mate janes 60th party used to work with her at boots over 40 years agogood nigh it was nice to see her and her family again not seen her since my 60th party.

When we were there in 2011, we had done all the usual local haunts (well most anyway) and brother in law said I know a good day out.

We ended up driving to Leicester, sounds silly, but we parked in the city center with his disabled pass (he has bad knees) and went around the big market there, then in the huge shopping center and had some lunch at a nice little cafe, then another walk about.

On the way home we stopped at a country pub and had a lovely meal and a pint.

It was not at all what I had been expecting and was pleasantly "different". My memories of Leicester were from working and chaos in the mainly ethnic area's, that is still there but we saw another side to a busy city.

My missus loved the market where she bought fruit and a few trinkets for the grandkids back in oz.

todays plan - autokarna at wollaton park. anyone else on here going?

youv picked a lovely day for it too!

would be nice to see some thing happening on the square

They estimated that 10,000 turned up for last Sundays milk race, yesterday the square was still busy was past 8 o'clock, & i would bet solid today, Autokarna today.

Get yourself out you'll love it!!

26-05-13168_zps18b0857f.jpg

I may take the kids out to somewhere near Manchester Airport today. (The "Airport Hotel" carpark at the end of the main runway sounds favourite ..LOL)

Great light , great kids and a bit of aviation photography thrown in to the mix , = great day out for next to nothing