I went to Collygate Infants, Collygate Road, before it was taken over by Mundella as a sixth form block and library.

The building is still there.

I started in November 1952 when the brick air-raid shelter still dominated the playground.

The headmistress was Miss Lindley (who I think came from the Welbeck School on Queen's Drive).

My first teacher, in one of the prefab classrooms, was Mrs Cheeseman. I can remember deciding that I would rather be in the other induction class when my mate Brian Mills started in February 1953. I simply walked into Brian's class at 9 o'clock and sat there for about an hour until the teacher noticed - I was then returned to the care of Mrs. Cheeseman.

Can't recall the name of my next teacher but the one after that was Mrs. Dickens. I finally finished up in Mrs. Taylor's class before ascending to the pantheon of Trent Bridge Juniors.

I recall that the last few months in Collygate were suffused with tales of the fearsome Mr. Gibson at Trent Bridge. He had a STRAP and so far as we were concerned every boy received a thrashing with the strap as part of the induction process. Each boy was then passed to the older pupils to be given a series of Trent Bridge bumps the most favourable outcome of which was a broken spine.

This was all rubbish of course - excepting that the "bumps" were part of the TB culture. I have a photograph of the bumps being administered in the senior boys playground. It was printed, believe it or not, in an early 50's FA Book for Boys annual.

When time permits I will post a couple of class photos and scan in a photo of an Collygate Empire Day celebration in about 54 or 55.

Cheers for now

Foxy

• 2 years later...

Foxy,

I started my school life at Collygate, it must have been about 1957, can't remember much about it though. I know I wasn't impressed much by it . My granny lived over the way on Wilford grove above and at the back of the shop, I think it was the co op in those days so truancy stated early for me. one thing I do remember though was those iron railings that kept us in, figured it was some sort of punishment. I'll have a good think to see if anything springs to mind about the early years and post if anything comes up.

Roger

• 1 year later...

I went to Collygate School (on MUNDELLA ROAD) in 1973.

I don't remember much about it, apart from singing in the choir in the hall (you got told off if you got caught yawning) and I remember walking along the path between the two sets of classrooms after having my polio injections and thinking the sugar cube tasted funny.

Right now it's a shambling ruin of a building and it makes me sorry to see it in that state.

There are none of the schools I attended in The Meadows left standing apart from this one. From the looks of it, it won't be long before that one is gone too.

• 6 months later...

Sent to Collygate circa 64 @ age of five, having twice absconded from Ryehill Nursery and walked home because I didn't want to sleep in the afternoons and no git was gonna make me (regal bloody pest/pain in the arse from birth). I was in Mrs Ruskin's class (6, I recall - the new wooden bit), RIGHT OLD GARGOYLE. Mrs Cheeseman was very popular. I think Mrs Lindley went on to the little nursery up Kinglake St back of the park. Funny, all I seem to recall is hot sunny days in the Meadows then. Apart from the big snows in winter. Great time. Friends included Tuva Brown (still an arsehole), Trevor Brown, Lloyd and Maclean Bell. Paul Hanuszczevski, Ibral Haiiv. Packed off to bed every night at six with radio luxembourg - and to this day, my mates still don't believe I didn't spend hundreds of hours taking professional lessons and working out the Beatles' and other's vocal harmonies over a hot piano, and don't understand how I can arrange music at the drop of a hat. I had nothing else to do for four hours a night between the ages of two and eight - and that phrase became rather poignant later on in life.

Tom Hathaway

Mick,

When did you attend the 'Slipper' ?

We used to go over from Carlton & Gedling on a Friday night,,,, t'were all free,,,,

I got there early one week, only to find they were charging to get in (I keep thinking it was Ten Bob,,,,, but i'm sure that was too dear for the day,,,, about '65).

I telephoned the Cavo to let the gang know that it wasn't free this week,,,,, but as we were already there, we went in.

I'm so glad we did cos it was Bonzo Dog,,,,,,, even in those days (despite the arsing about) you could tell that they were masters of their instruments.

We'd seen all sorts of bands up to this time,,,, & most of 'em were just bang, bang, bang (ooooer,,,, sound like me dad now !).

Anyone else there that nite ?

A great time,,,,,,,

Hi Tom, Tuva Brown went to Roland Green School after Collygate. Was he something to do with the Nottm Basketball team?

Den.

I wouldn't be surprised - oh, you mean the sport itself! Don't know about that. Last time I saw him was last year. I usually call in at the Canal St Newshouse for a couple before I catch the London train and that's where I ran into him in company with a mutual acquaintance. He knows exactly who I am, but he'll either speak or he won't, depending on how nice he feels. I gave up making the first salutation years ago. If he speaks, then I'll answer. Pleasant chap but always could be a little moodswingy.

TH

Mick,

When did you attend the 'Slipper' ?

We used to go over from Carlton & Gedling on a Friday night,,,, t'were all free,,,,

I got there early one week, only to find they were charging to get in (I keep thinking it was Ten Bob,,,,, but i'm sure that was too dear for the day,,,, about '65).

I telephoned the Cavo to let the gang know that it wasn't free this week,,,,, but as we were already there, we went in.

I'm so glad we did cos it was Bonzo Dog,,,,,,, even in those days (despite the arsing about) you could tell that they were masters of their instruments.

We'd seen all sorts of bands up to this time,,,, & most of 'em were just bang, bang, bang (ooooer,,,, sound like me dad now !).

Anyone else there that nite ?

A great time,,,,,,,

Wow! Hats off to you on THAT one BAZ! Saw them at the Shepherd's Bush Empire two years ago as part of their 40th and apart from Innes who's gone a bit regal, they're still absolutely barking - particularly Ruskin-Spear. Ade Edmonson did Mr Slater's parrot and The Strain. Merton did the Monster Mash. TH

Although they were well known on the 'uni' circuit etc I had never heard of them. I was hacked off at the time cos the 'Slipper used to be free entry.

At first I just thought is was like a 'rag-week' stunt,,,, but after a couple of 'numbers',,,,, I could see that they were accomplished technicians both of their instruments & of their timing in the knock about stuff.

I wasn't a great fan of the larkin' abaht,,,,, but they held my attention well enough,,,,,,,,,,

I was DJ at The Slipper very early 70's Mon Weds & Fri's

I dont remember the Bonzo's being on, but that Might have been Saturday nights (Jazz)

If you payed ten bob to get in it was because you did not know the DJ well enough t get

a free Mon Weds or Friday night pass.

Nice to see the Shed back & Posting...

• 2 weeks later...
Sent to Collygate circa 64 @ age of five, having twice absconded from Ryehill Nursery and walked home because I didn't want to sleep in the afternoons and no git was gonna make me (regal bloody pest/pain in the arse from birth). I was in Mrs Ruskin's class (6, I recall - the new wooden bit), RIGHT OLD GARGOYLE. Mrs Cheeseman was very popular. I think Mrs Lindley went on to the little nursery up Kinglake St back of the park. Funny, all I seem to recall is hot sunny days in the Meadows then. Apart from the big snows in winter. Great time. Friends included Tuva Brown (still an arsehole), Trevor Brown, Lloyd and Maclean Bell. Paul Hanuszczevski, Ibral Haiiv. Packed off to bed every night at six with radio luxembourg - and to this day, my mates still don't believe I didn't spend hundreds of hours taking professional lessons and working out the Beatles' and other's vocal harmonies over a hot piano, and don't understand how I can arrange music at the drop of a hat. I had nothing else to do for four hours a night between the ages of two and eight - and that phrase became rather poignant later on in life.

Tom Hathaway

I remember tuva brown and maclean bell and i even remember the "incident" re the basketball team! Was Collygate at the end of Glapton Rd and down a little lane way?

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Collygate infants school in the 1950's but attended two infant schools in the Meadows, both very close by each other. I had my first year in a very old building actually in the same grounds as Mundella. For my final two years I moved to more modern buildings close to the library. Now which one was Collygate? I know both were still standing - the first had become a community centre and the second was some kind of store for the council - full of canoes of all things last time I checked - and I hate to admit that was 18 years ago! From the second infants school I went on to Trent Bridge Junior School. Anyone put me out of my misery? What were my two Meadows infants schools called?

• 1 month later...
Collygate school was between Wilford crescent and Mundella road. Tell us more about the "incident".

Did you live down the Meadows Stoffell?

Yes i did . Born in the front room at 18 ferriby tce in 1957. went to a nursary school clutching my thunderbirds book then onto t/bridge junior, one year at roland green then off to johannesburg. Cant tell you about the 'incident' as sworn to secrecy. Remember eating loads of sweets though.

• 3 weeks later...
Collygate school was between Wilford crescent and Mundella road

I think a lot of people are getting confused here as there were TWO infant schools in close proximity. There was an Infant school on Collygate Road that was in the grounds of Mundella and was certainly used as such in the 1950's. I was there for two years from Easter 1957 but we were all and I do mean all transfered to the other school circa Sept 59 and this school entrance was on Mundella Road and yes it was between Wilford Crescent and Mundella Road.

I went back to the Meadows over Christmas and the "new" Collygate" has been demolished whereas the "old" Collygate still stands and is now a Muslim centre. I really cannot recall if the "new" Collygate had a new name but of course as the school had moved its likely to have been referred to as just Collygate, even if it had a new name..

So in summary there were actually two Collygates!

• 3 weeks later...

Denshaw wrote:

"Next to the library was Collygate school, i think it was a concrete pre-fab building."

That's the place! I was there for a year maybe before going to a place near the London road

island (did it become a motor factors or summat in the 80's?). Anyway, hated the place, both

of them. Was living on Summers Street until 1960 when we moved to WB.

The 'school' that you mention on Wilford Grove, by the library has just been demolished.

I can just recall that if you went through Collingham footway-top of Woolmer Rd ( Wilford Cres end) that on going through to ? Ryehill Terrace there was a school - very much like the one mentioned, on the right past a fish and chip shop.

There for years until the old Meadows was demolished.

Kind regards,

Tony

• 1 year later...

I can just recall that if you went through Collingham footway-top of Woolmer Rd ( Wilford Cres end) that on going through to ? Ryehill Terrace there was a school - very much like the one mentioned, on the right past a fish and chip shop.

Ryeland Crescent Nursery.

I went there.

• 11 months later...

I have been trying to find the location of Collingham Footway and always thought it was at the end of Woolmer Road?

I thought it was bigger than the jittys that can be see at the sides of houses on Google street view?

It also had a sign on the wall?

Maybe

But I thought it was closer to Woolmer Rd?

Perhaps thye knocked down a block of terraced houses to build those flats?