My first teacher when started school was scary and hard, she was tall and thin with grey hair, she checked us every morning  hands/face and neck. If you were not clean to her standards a slap on the back of the head followed  and you were sent to clean the offending part, Miss Twitchet was her name.

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mr Unwin. Head teacher at Glaisdale Secondary School. Canings were public at assembly. He made you bend down at one end of the stage, and then ran in like a fast bowler from the other end, and wallop

Made me sit in class with wet pants on    Rog

Not at The Manning! 

On 6/8/2016 at 2:25 PM, MapperleyMan said:

At Mapperley Plains School in the 70s there was a teacher called Mr Williams. He lived down on Wensley Road in Woodthorpe and could been seen walking back there every day after school down Somersby, Malmesbury and Pateley Road, turning left into Melbury Road (past my gran's house) and on to Wensley Road. He was proper old school and had been teaching throughout the 50s and 60s. He was about ready for retirement by the time I turned up. He had an ulcer and used to have milk and plain biscuits all the time. He caned me! It was like being taught by someone from a black and white film!

i was there in the 60's he was awful - i was scared to death of him!!!  was waving the cane when we walked into class.

How times have changed! Reading the posts about teachers coming into the job from the forces all those years ago, behaviour was very different then. Recently I had an interesting conversation with someone who had left the armed forces and trained as a teacher. He said there were 15 in his group doing the training. All of them completed it but after a year only 2 had remained in the job!

Just now seen a post from Margie H nearly a year ago (I don't look at this site very often, as I only know two people in Nottingham now). I was at Carlton-le-Willows 1957-64, and can honestly say I detested every second - when were you there Margie?

Having said that, I went back there for a visit about 5 years ago - I came across a bit of metalwork I made as a 12yo in 1958 - I was treated like royalty.

My German teacher, Eileen Scorer, moved here to Tiverton Devon. She died a year ago, and at her funeral, members of her family couldn't believe that a pupil of hers 1959-62 was there.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

LizzieM: might as well hang on to that book! I could get in touch with her nephew, if you want.

I met her in a cafe/Christian bookshop - I heard her give her name, and cheeky-daft I started talking to her. You can get away with that sort of thing in Devon.

I’ll hang onto it it LongJohn, I’ve had it at least 52 years!   I’m like you, get into conversation with anybody, it can get me into trouble sometimes though!  Great that you made contact with her,  I remember her well, even though I could only handle German for one year (third year) 

6 hours ago, LongJohn said:

Just now seen a post from Margie H nearly a year ago (I don't look at this site very often, as I only know two people in Nottingham now). I was at Carlton-le-Willows 1957-64, and can honestly say I detested every second - when were you there Margie?

Having said that, I went back there for a visit about 5 years ago - I came across a bit of metalwork I made as a 12yo in 1958 - I was treated like royalty.

My German teacher, Eileen Scorer, moved here to Tiverton Devon. She died a year ago, and at her funeral, members of her family couldn't believe that a pupil of hers 1959-62 was there.

I was there 1954 - 1960.   I don't suppose we will remember each other as the different years didn't seem to mix much in those days.  My formteacher in the first year was Miss Gilbert who taught General Science, then  I had Mr Bates as my teacher for several years - I had French and German with him - can't remember Miss Scorer at all.  I'll pm you with my maiden name and some of the boys I remember from my year