Babbs, I went through school, Ashwell to Chandos with Pete Bidulph, we joined the Merchant Navy about the same time, he jumped ship in New Zealand, came back to the UK fairly recently, lives in Gloucester now.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mr Unwin. Head teacher at Glaisdale Secondary School. Canings were public at assembly. He made you bend down at one end of the stage, and then ran in like a fast bowler from the other end, and wallop

Made me sit in class with wet pants on    Rog

Not at The Manning! 

funny how many old netho names crop up on hear one way or another have you seen seaside lady recently she has not posted on here in ages david.

This would have to be Wragg at Peveril he would cane or strap but not on the hand on the wrist ,He called you out & if you asked what for he would say you are long overdue, Or by the end of the day i'm sure you will have done something to deserve it.

Brother Barnabus at Becket, he could cane you like you'd never forget!!

Also Mr Cullen (Nobby Cullen), games master, short nasty Irishman who took great delight in kicking a football at yer bare thighs on very cold days.................boy, did it sting

At St.Bernadette's (Arch enemies of Greenwood) you knew you were in trouble if the deputy head Mr DeLee sent you to the school piano to fetch his cricket bat! "Write your name on there boy and bend over!" OUCH! He was the best teacher I have ever had in either school, college of Uni. His favourite saying was "Never use the word GOT unless you've GOT to"

thumbsup

That brought back a memory . Our English teacher at Gedling always told us off for using got or get . Nice was another banned word .

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Mr Unwin. Head teacher at Glaisdale Secondary School.

Canings were public at assembly. He made you bend down at one end of the stage, and then ran in like a fast bowler from the other end, and wallop! I suffered this experience several times. After a while, knowing it was coming, I would sneak down to the gym and raid the lockers for as many pairs of PE shorts that I could find to pad out my posterior.

Confession time:

During the summer holidays a group of us hatched a plan. Unwin lived in a quiet road in Wollaton. Picture one of those silent summer nights without a breath of wind.... One of the lads (who had a deep mature voice) made a phone call to a local undertaker.... 2am.

"My father died yesterday, and he is laid out at home. Mum thought it would be nice for him to rest one last night in the house, but she is having second thoughts and is getting quite upset. Can you come round to collect him please?"

We hid in the bushes beside Unwin's driveway and waited. After a little while a hearse pulled up, complete with three gentlemen in top hats and long black coats... One of them approached the front door and rapped the knocker, loud enough to wake some of the neighbours! A light came on in the front bedroom.... then the landing and then the hall.... Eventually Unwin opened the door, and the sombre gentleman announced in a loud, very slow and very sombre voice.... "We've ... come... for.... Mr.... Unwin".

Payback time :-)

• Upvote 7

Mr Bond was our Headmaster at Padstow school,and he commanded total respect,never heard him shout he was a very big man who only had to look at you and you behaved,i had the strap from him only once,but it was part of the friday morning ritual where miscreants were dealt with in front of the entire school in Assembly.,imagine the uproar that would cause today,but i'm sure it was a good lesson you learn't.

I pass his old cottage home nearly every day Bagnal Cottages,Cinderhill rd,Bulwell,and remember his final words to me at the leaving ceromony in 1960,.........'you'll do well in life Paul if you keep your mouth shut'..........as Del would say 'Cheeky git' but he was dead right,i still can't keep it shut.

Mr BOND,great Headmaster,i thank you Sir.

• Upvote 2

I went to Trent Bridge in the 50s and all the teachers used the cane or strap when they had to but have to say they were strict but fair. I remember Joe Currah - who taught French caned the whole class because we were making a lot of noise and only 2 people owned up but if you had a problem you went to Joe and he would always sort it out for you.

We werein many ways as bad as kids of today but the difference was we could take our punishment and accepted it, even your Mums and Dads .

Our head teacher in those days was Mr Green

Best wishes

Peter

• Upvote 1

Another thing I remember was student teachers who would come into school from time to time for experience and we quickly found out they could not used the cane or strap.

I remember one poor chap we made his life hell in a good humoured sort of way - well good humoured for us anyway. One day another chap came in with him and sat at the back of the class and we knew he was being assessed and what a change there was. Everyone sat up straight and was very attentive and asked lots of questions and oh so very polite. We even detected a tiny tear in his eye!!!

• Upvote 1

I remember the only black Teacher we ever saw,was a Student Teacher with a very 'African' accent,we used to refer to him as 'Chocolate B......S,.....after a few days he #Rumbled us' and asked us what was B......s,......after being informed he laughed his head off,and said 'you whities are very funny'.

No offence was meant and non taken,......when he finished his stint at our School on his last day,he told us 'i'll never forget you boys' thankyou for making me welcome.,i have learnt so much.

Pity we'd never get away with that these days. The kids would be in court and receive a criminal record, and the teacher would need constant counselling at great cost.

• Upvote 1

When I went to Trent Bridge it had just gone mixed. One of the older lads (who were still streamed so not used to female teachers) stood up to Mrs (or Miss) Green in front of the while school. (who used to be the girls head teacher I think) He was one of the hard nuts of the school & was a lot bigger than her, they stood there toe to toe. She went 'WALLOP!' & he doubled up & backed down. She had everyone's respect after that..

• Upvote 2

I ALWAYS found the ones who argued and could'nt take their punishment were the so called 'Hard nuts' or 'Bullies' who could hand it out but could'nt take it.

• Upvote 3
  • 7 months later...

Who caned you at TB?

'Pot Leg Bill' Bains, Marciniak, Piggy Roberts, Sampson, Harrison, Chambers, Miss Slack, Simons, Medley, Rutt. Never off Mr Chalkly, Miss Ogston, the teach with missing fingers, Mr Humphries, can't remember anymore..

I've had a go at Chandos Academy already on this thread so I won't repeat myself about some of the sadistic clowns that roamed the halls in the day. To me, though, it wasn't the occasional whacks to the posterior that got me down. It was the more subtle sarcastic digs and putdowns that live with you for a long time. That did not promote discipline, just a burning resentment that bordered on hatred and made it difficult to take anything these men said seriously.

Loppy,......ive heard many folk on the forum express the same sentiments,and i feel for em all.............we must have been lucky at Padstow,because i only have fond memories of all the Teachers,.......sure i got the 'strap',cane and slipper but never felt any real malice from or to them,......and just took it as normal.

Perhaps thats the difference ''the times''...........i would hate to see it today with my Grandkids............

• Upvote 1