Where did you celebrate the coronation 1953

I was just thinking about the coronation and i can remember quite clearly,all those years ago,aged 5yrs,we celebrated behind The Chesterfield Arms,Main Road Gedling,There was all the usual party foods, and Fancy dress competition,my brother was a little soldier and my sister and i were dressed the same as each other,carrying a banner with the Union Jack, all home made in red white and blue Crepe paper,a good job it didn't rain,we didn't win but enjoyed it any way.All the dads were inside the pub, just coming out with a glass of mild for mam and crisps and lemonade for us.Smiths crisps with the little blue bag of salt or nibbits,that's all there was,until they brought out Cheese flavor,lovely what memories.

I think the day of the Coronation is my earliest memory, I was 3, going on 4. I went with my Mum to a neighbours house to watch the event on a tiny television that had a big magnifying glass attached to the front. We got our first telly in 1955 about the time I started school so I would run home every afternoon to catch Watch With Mother !

i was only 2 but know we had a st party on deabil st at the end of our terrace i a a coppy of a coupleof photo s from the day they are not great coppies though but i doo recognize quite a lot of folk omn them one is of the children and some adults the other is of the adults and older teenages on it my elder brother whould have been around 16 at the time was on iti am sat in a high chair next to my eldest sister and my two other sisters were at the end of the table my younger brother was just 6 months old and being held by one of the neighbours but not sure which baby he is as know he had blond hair but two of the babies on it are blonde mum and dad at the back of this one and also on the one with the adults, i did not recognize dad at first coz he was quite slim when it was takenand i can only remember him as being quite stout like me.

I was 4. We went round to my aunt and uncle in the next door prefab on Aslockton Drive, as they had a telly. My mum had baked a square "Christmas cake" - which was decorated on top as a union jack (flag - for the pedants!) I seem to remember having a paddy on because I wanted chocolate pudding - can't remember what brought that on, but I was threatened with dire consequences if I didn't shut up and behave.

My Dad was in Baghdad and I was in my Dads' bag, T'was two days before my Mum and Dad got married !!

My aunt and uncle lived on Bailey St, Old Basford, their local was The Duke of Newcastle. We went and spent the day with them, and I went to the party at the pub, I had on a white pinafore and dad had drawn and embroidered the bib with something to do with the cornonation. I wished someone had taken a picture of it, as the dress disappeared not long afterwards. After the party, we went to aunty and uncle's house to watch the ceremony on their 9 inch telly, bought especially for the event. I was 6.

We lived on Hardys Drive, Gedling at the time and we didn't have a television along with almost every one,its hard to imagine what we did with our time,On coronation day we all went round to my friends house,who were the first people to have a telly .When we got there the front room was like a cinema all the neighbors were there,chairs all in rows for the adults and all us kids on the floor,as you say the telly was tiny,but fascinated us all.I would imagine we all went on to the Chesterfield Arms after for the party.

Living at RoT at Cliff Drive....no TV, no party, no nothing.

RoT Primary School had flags and bunting as did many places in the village.

Remember going to Grandmas' house in WB before the Coronation and if I remember right, Kellogg's Corn Flakes had a cut out of the Coronation Coach and horses on the back of the packet. Anyway, Grandma had saved the packet and we cut the picture out and folded it together so that it looked like the real thing from the side. Think that the cut-out had that gold sparkly coating all over it as well. Remember that night putting the cut-out on the floor near the coal fire and with the lights out, watching the golden coach and horses sparkling in the fire light.

Funny how you remember some things for life and not others.

I was thinking about this on June 2. One of the few times in life when you can remember exactly what you were doing on a particular day and hour 60 years ago. Went to my grandma's on Godfrey street Netherfield if I remember rightly the adults had been to the beer off for the necessary celebratory lubrication. We all watched in glorious black and white on a "huge" 12 inch telly. This set was so smart you only had to turn it on and it went straight to the BEEB. Seriously, though, it was a pretty full day of watching and was enjoyed by all. TV had not lost its novelty at that time and we all thought it wonderful to see it as it actually happened.

Sat in front of our TV (newly bought for this very event)...... not everyone had a TV in our street - Ravensdale Avenue - so there seemed to be lots of excited people in our lounge................ Mum made sandwiches with the crusts cut off, and the china cups came out from their hiding place. I remember Mum telling Dad, he must not 'slurrrrp' his tea out of his saucer - (*O*) whilst we were watching the TV..... and I wore a red check dress with a red bow in my hair, and white ankle socks with red trimming...........................funny how you remember certain things........!

In my pram! Must have had a good time - I don't remember a thing!

Although I was only three at the time I remember the occasion . No parties but we did have a TV . I think it was a tiny 9" screen in a largish cabinet . The thing I remember most though from that time was the news coming on and announcing that Edmund Hillary and Sherpa Tensing were the first to climb Mount Everest .

I must have known what mountains were at that age but why this news stuck in my brain and is the first thing that comes to my mind when the the coronation is mentioned I have no idea.

Apparently spent the whole time it was on the TV fast asleep in my pram being only eight months old

Rog

I've actually got a photo of what i was doing for at least part of Coronation Day. This is me, aged 3, in the right foreground of the picture below. Next to me in black is my grandmother, with my grandfather on her other side. I don't remember who the lady is nearer the camera. This was at a tea in the village hall in Caythorpe (Lincolnshire) for over-60s and children under 16 and is mentioned in the leaflet (as 'Buffet Tea') which I've scanned and put in three pictures below.

I can just about remember that tea, although the memory has faded over the years, but nothing else about the day.

CoronationTea_zpsb3e7a303.jpg

Coronation1_zps9f237d2e.jpg

Coronation2_zpsb9461e3a.jpg

I'm not certain what an 'Ankle Competition' (5 to 6pm along with the Tug of War) involved, and I assume that 'The Queen Speaks' at 9pm meant over the radio - I mean wireless - rather than in person.

Corobation3_zpsab275098.jpg