Bazza - remind me where the Horse and Groom was, please.

speaking of a Friday night out - anyone here go to the Northern Soul night at the Polish club last night?

Compo,

The Horse and Groom was at the bottom of St.Peters gate just where it meets Hounds gate.There is a big black gate next to the Halifax building society.That gate use to be the entrance to the courtyard leading in to the Horse and Groom.Upstairs was a restaurant belonging to the pub called The Courtyard restaurant.The landlords name was Stan Roper at the time I worked there which was about 1966 or 67.

Good pub but the ale not so good.Shippo's. thumbsdown

Baz :ninja:

Beefy, the 8 o'clock bus!!!, that's half the night gone, did you hit your local pub for a couple of hours, before getting the bus to town? :biggrin:

Lols that would make my daughter laugh! They don,t even start getting ready to go out until half nine now. Wouldn't dream of hitting the town till ten!......how times have changed!

And there are buses running into the early hours now, not stopping at half ten :-)

\snip\ ale not so good.Shippo's. thumbsdown

Baz :ninja:

Ale Shippo's?! I used to love Shippo's :crazy:

The ladies of the night worked from the pub next door but a couple from the flying horse. For the life of me I cannot recall the name of th epub but it was a run down place in my time. I was once propositioned there.

The Exchange ?

This confirms beef was indeed pi55ed Number 10 & The Fox!! White Lion = Lion Hotel.

Missed the / out of the Number 10 / Fox and re the one above, guess who failed to turn the page?

We always used to find the pubs with a good old Free and easy,before The (karioki ) came here ,there were lots,i remember one called Jubilee,off Carlton hill some where,Mam and her sisters were good singers so that was what we did mainly when we came home to Notts in the 70/80s,all pile in the cars and head for the fave singsong pub of the day.Great, sadly i didn't inherit her lovely voice.

Morning all

It as just came to me that the pub where the ladies of the night went it was near the Flying Horse and was called the Exchange can any one remember at the back of the Flying horse there was like a Goose Fair bar with painted model horses ? How about the Trip with the horn on the wall and a ring on a piece of rope which you had to swing very accurately and get it on the horn. Spent many a night in there with my other half before we married, he could swing the ring into four corners and it would always end up on the horn I think he was showing off for me its a man thing.

mary 1947

• Upvote 1

The ring game is known as "Ringing the Bull" and the single horn in the Trip was one version of the game.

scan0001.jpg?gl=GB

I used to frequent the Goose Fair Bar. IIRC thre were seven bars in eth Flying horse altogether.

Standing outside the Exchange one night at about ten waiting for teh wife to finish her shift and meet me, I was approached by a "Lady" and chatted to. Eventually, after a minute or two, she asked if I had any money. As soon as I said "No" her tone changed and she told me to stop hanging around on "Her Patch"!

Takes all sorts!!! :)

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

Passed through a street on the way to the castle yesterday. Had a few pubs looked like music venues. One was called the Malt cross I think?. What are they like. are they safe places to visit. could you recommend them?. De Da.