• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's a lovely post Margie about a very fair, caring and lovely man. He never taught me but he was Deputy Head by the time I started at C-Le-W.   My favourite though was Fred Lee who took us for

My favourite teacher at Carlton-le-Willows was Mr C N Bates, who taught me French and German.  He was a really good teacher and was also my form teacher for 3 years.  I think he really cared about us

Heard the Mundella kids talking about Daddy Dakin, as I mentioned in another thread I went out with a girl from Mundella, but dare not tell my Trent Bridge schoolmates as I didn't want the rack or duf

My favourite teacher at Carlton-le-Willows was Mr C N Bates, who taught me French and German.  He was a really good teacher and was also my form teacher for 3 years.  I think he really cared about us and our education although he got a bit cross with us sometimes!  I liked his sense of humour.....   I have heard that other students didn't always appreciate him in the same way, though.  20 years after I left school, I wrote to him and then visited him for tea at his house with Paul and our 3 children.  It was really good being able to talk to him again and we corresponded for quite a while after that.   I shed more than a few tears when he died.  

Once, in about my second year, I'd been tipping and rocking my chair in one lesson (as you do) even when I'd been told to stop, so he said I had to write out the Nursery Rhyme 'Rock a bye baby' in my very best writing for the next day.  This I did, and illustrated it with trees and cradles etc all round the edge of the paper.  He said he took it home and his little boy loved it.  

Another time, on my report he'd written that I always 'did my best'.  We were given the report to read before we took it home.  I said my dad wouldn't be very pleased because it sounded as though I had tried but hadn't achieved much, so he added 'with good results' .  

There were several other teachers whom I appreciated for their skill and dedication, but he was my favourite!  

I have lots of good memories and very few bad ones (and even these weren't very bad)  I feel I was fortunate to have been at that particular school at that particular time, when it had just opened.  Because there were only first and second years there when I started, everyone soon got to know most of the other students

• Upvote 3

That's a lovely post Margie about a very fair, caring and lovely man. He never taught me but he was Deputy Head by the time I started at C-Le-W.  

My favourite though was Fred Lee who took us for Geography.  The problem was that he was too nice and we took advantage of his good nature. One sunny afternoon, first lesson after lunch, a load of us decided to remain on the grass bank outside his classroom and test his patience.  Unfortunately he put us all in detention for that.  He would come flowing into a Friday afternoon class, in his black gown, and ALWAYS say 'TGIF'. I think he may have invented that!   

There were some brilliant teachers there, but also one or two very weak ones who had no idea how to control a class.  

Happy days! 

• Upvote 3
10 hours ago, taxi ray said:

Benjamin, the only teacher that I can remember was Mr Spiers who taught metalwork, he was ex military, he was of the old school but was a good teacher.

Ah Mr Spiers Ray,..........good teacher great bloke,i hated Metalwork and was crap at it,but he never gave up on me,.....still got a Brass Tea caddy spoon that I made,and he titivated for me.............lol