• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We were late with the train as well!

I never worked at Chilwell but did have two very different connections, as the first pic. shows 'work' was involved with a load of tanks for Ashchurch-Pembroke! The 'headboard' indicates to the signal

I used to live on the High Road in Chilwell , just across the road from the Charlton Arms pub. When I first moved in there, that was in 1960, before all the houses around Redland Crescent were built,

No need to show deference now KatyJay, you never bothered when you and my then future wife 'wok'd at Raleh.' Even though our caste system expects utmost respect I am quite sure you would find that I am still nearly normal. I was a Prince back then and still a Prince which trumps a mere Viscount.

You might have known my cousin, her mum owned the sweet shop McCarthy's in the Commodore block opposite Aspley Library.

I never worked at Chilwell but did have two very different connections, as the first pic. shows 'work' was involved with a load of tanks for Ashchurch-Pembroke! The 'headboard' indicates to the signalman that we are running under "OGLO" (out of gauge loading) rules,, care at junctions,passing passenger trains etc. The second pic. is my leisure activity with the Chilwell Rifle Club on their 25-50-100 yds. outdoor range in a disused brickyard off Cator lane(?), opposite the 'Charlton Arms', shown are Arthur Spalding, self, Les Carr, Ron Bacon, ?? & Tony Dickerson. The 'caravan' behind us was reputed to belong to Rommel of Nth. Afrika fame!

2015%20No8032_zpssvb4etnq.jpg

• Upvote 3

#57. Now you mention it, I do remember Dorothy's shop. Never went in, though. High on the left side of the wall there was a painted sign 'Billiard Hall, just around the corner' with a pointing finger. Saw that a hundred times as I was waiting for the next 22 bus to come along and take me home after a night at the Aspley.

• 3 months later...

I used to live on the High Road in Chilwell , just across the road from the Charlton Arms pub. When I first moved in there, that was in 1960, before all the houses around Redland Crescent were built, I could see the monument that was erected in the depot to commemorate the big explosion that happened during the first world war. I also remember at the bottom of the garden there used to be a farm and in the field at the end of my garden was an old double decker bus where someone used to live. Can anyone remember the old brick yard. My children used to go tadpole collecting there. I was a fireman at Beeston Fire Station at the time and after the brickyard had closed down, we used to go to the quarry for training purposes, using the quarry face to practice tying a bowline around ourselves and lowering our self down the quarry face/ A form of abseiling I assume. I bet it wouldn't be allowed nowadays. Plenty more memories from around Beeston Rylands and Chilwell if anyone interested. Dennis baker

• Upvote 3

Ey up Just me,............I used to Manage the Marsdens shop on High road Chilwell mid 60s,do you remember that?........it later became 'Green Fingers',don't know what it is now..........

Hi Benjamin....I can't remember the Marsdens shop at all. I lived on the High Road from 1960 until 1995. Perhaps you can enlighten me as to where abouts it was....my memory is fading lol

Hi Michael...nice to meet you. Did you live in Chilwell?

Yes Ray,it was near Cator lane,...........2 or 3 shops set back,on the left going towards long Eaton.........and' just me' it was 1966/7 when iwas there.......

• 2 months later...

Hi, I am new to this site and live in Australia, but am very interested in Nottingham, as many of my relatives are from this area. I have visited several times. I have read many of the posts on Chilwell WW1 with great interest. Both my grandmothers worked there. Family lore suggests that my paternal grandfather also worked there and my dad was conceived after a brief relationship with my paternal grandma. We have no idea who he was, nor where to begin looking for him!!. When I read about these times my heart goes out to the men and women who lived through them. I have a photo, possibly from Chilwell depot. It is a group photo from my maternal grandmother's album, showing maybe 50 workers, with more official looking men in the front of the photo. My maternal grandmother included her memories of working at ChilwelI in her memoires. I visited the depot, during a trip to the UK a couple of years ago. A very kind army official showed us around and shared some information about the place. Cheers, Nones

• 2 years later...

Does anyone remember Tommy Steel and his Steelemen doing a concert at Chilwell in the ?late 50s? ?

My sister worked in the typing pool there and I presume that the staff got free tickets.  As far as I remember, my sister's friend couldn't go so 'little brother' was taken along.

I still remember the show.  They had just finished filming The Tommy Steele Story and sang a lot of the tunes from that.  When it came to what should have been the end of the show, he went off stage and a little later came back on and said something like, "Well, we've missed our train so we might as well sing some more songs", and carried on the show.

Any offers?

Cheers.

John.

• 10 months later...

Hi,i lived in Chilwell , By-pass Rd and Attenbrough Lane during the 1950s. My mother and stepfather both worked in the depot fixing tanks. I remember the massive movement of tanks down By-pass Rd heading for The Suez Canal , some were still being painted whilst in transit on transporters 

I left the area in 1959 when I joined The Royal Navy aged 15 straight from Beeston Fields Secondary School.

• 4 months later...
On 4/28/2015 at 3:32 PM, Allan said:

I served my time as an apprentice there from 1964 to 1969 finished up on maintenance in the main workshops .two guys in that first year had one 'o' level .One year later the intake of apprentices had 90plus 'o'levels between them.

I can remember it well from the old engine test house to the new one, the metal electroplating unit ,down by the main road,the tank testing ground going underneath the Bailey bridge.

Hi Allan, 

I realise that this was posted some time ago but I wonder if you might still be able to help me. I am a Solicitor representing the family of a gentleman who died from asbestos-related cancer as a result of his exposure to asbestos whilst employed at COD Chilwell.  He was employed as a mechanical fitter working on the military vehicles and was exposed to asbestos used in the make-up of items such as clutches and brakes. I am trying to collect further evidence about this and wonder whether you might be able to contribute. If so I would be very pleased to hear from you. My email address is helena.cameron@oliverandco.co.uk.

Many thanks, 

Helena Cameron

• 1 month later...
On 2/17/2016 at 2:20 PM, Just Me said:

Hi Benjamin....I can't remember the Marsdens shop at all. I lived on the High Road from 1960 until 1995. Perhaps you can enlighten me as to where abouts it was....my memory is fading lol

My recollection from late 1950's, early 1960's is that Marsden's was not on the corner of Cator Lane and Chilwell Road but was further toward Beeston, possibly on the corner of Park Road and Chilwell Road.  I remember being fascinated by the elaborate overhead device in Marsden's for transfer of cash to the cashier and the amazingly elaborate weighing machines and the marble benchtops.  Near the bottom of Cator Lane/ Meadow Lane and High Road (Chilwell Road) was a row of shops on the southern side of the road.  The shop on the eastern end (Beeston end) was Lowes from where you could buy ice creams (rarely) and groceries.  Not sure about other shops in the group, but I think a butcher and maybe a ladies hairdresser. I used to attend school at College House School in Cator Lane and lived near the top of Farm Road, so the trek home was often along High Road, up Hall Drive (Oldam's Farm on the corner) and into Farm Road.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
On 4/7/2020 at 12:05 PM, Helena said:

Hi Allan, 

I realise that this was posted some time ago but I wonder if you might still be able to help me. I am a Solicitor representing the family of a gentleman who died from asbestos-related cancer as a result of his exposure to asbestos whilst employed at COD Chilwell.  He was employed as a mechanical fitter working on the military vehicles and was exposed to asbestos used in the make-up of items such as clutches and brakes. I am trying to collect further evidence about this and wonder whether you might be able to contribute. If so I would be very pleased to hear from you. My email address is helena.cameron@oliverandco.co.uk.

Many thanks, 

Helena Cameron

Hello Helena

My mother had worked at the Chilwell Ordinace Depot during the war and so I'm told made up the gas masks that contained asbestos.  She died in 1979.  After her death I had to attend the Coroner's Court where I was asked to pursue it further as they seemed to think it was the first case related to death from working there.  It was suggested there could be compensation however I declined to pursue it as I didn't want to receive any monies from my mother's death. 

Sorry I meant to add the her Death Certificate states cause of death as The industrial disease of mesothelioma of the peritoneum.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 10/16/2015 at 8:51 PM, albert smith said:

I never worked at Chilwell but did have two very different connections, as the first pic. shows 'work' was involved with a load of tanks for Ashchurch-Pembroke! The 'headboard' indicates to the signalman that we are running under "OGLO" (out of gauge loading) rules,, care at junctions,passing passenger trains etc. The second pic. is my leisure activity with the Chilwell Rifle Club on their 25-50-100 yds. outdoor range in a disused brickyard off Cator lane(?), opposite the 'Charlton Arms', shown are Arthur Spalding, self, Les Carr, Ron Bacon, ?? & Tony Dickerson. The 'caravan' behind us was reputed to belong to Rommel of Nth. Afrika fame!

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s506/bootneck5/2015%20No8032_zpssvb4etnq.jpg

That disused brick yard was down the bottom of School Lane.  Just around the corner on the High Road was the Charlton Arms with the big chestnut tree out front.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks 'retji' for reminding me of the pleasant times with the Chilwell Rifle club at the Brickyard outdoor ranges.               An unwritten rule said 'Men Only' on Wednesday evenings, shooting finished by 9pm and in the "Charltom Arms" by 9.05pm. One evening I played a 'prank' on a Doctor member he was coming down the caravan steps as I went to enter, obviously going for a 'wee' against the nearby wall, I waited while he started and then called out "Good Evening Rosemary" and dived into  a wardrobe in the 'van. Oh dear, wee & blackberry juice all down his left leg as he'd tried to hide behind the bushes, after he'd tried to box my ears he joined in the joke but it cost me a 'G & T in the Charlton Arms. So many memories including manhandling that 3 ton caravan through the gate as the towing truck couldn't make the turn!