I left Nottingham in 1974, and will be coming back for a visit in August, from what I have seen on the internet machine, the city looks very much like it did back then apart from the wonderful trams you have now

I left Nottingham in 1974, and will be coming back for a visit in August, from what I have seen on the internet machine, the city looks very much like it did back then

That is actually fairly accurate. Most of the destruction of Nottingham took place before 1974.

Drury Hill had been demolished; Vic Centre and Broad Marsh Centre had been built; Maid Marian Way had ploughed its way up through the medieval streets around the castle; Victoria Station had gone; the Meadows and St Ann's had been razed; tower blocks were no longer being built.

The major disasters had all happened by 74.

The worst things to happen in recent years are the Trinity Square mess, the Contemporary building; and the dreary, slabbed Market Square.

• Upvote 1

I left Nottingham in 1974, and will be coming back for a visit in August, from what I have seen on the internet machine, the city looks very much like it did back then apart from the wonderful trams you have now

Lots of ex pats from Nottingham contribute here,Sheridan. Welcome. Where do you call home now? Not related to Mrs Bucket I hope!

Hi Sheriden

I left in 89 and have been back many times since but still manage to get lost now and again !

Big thing I noticed is lots of crowds and driving around can get very busy and slow at times but I still love going back and part of me still lives there, hence loving this forum.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for your welcome, I now live in Perth, Western Australia, which was a lovely colonial city back in the early 1970's, sadly the mining boom of the 80's saw the tearing down of many fine buildings of the late 19th century, consequently they can't get it right and keep tearing down and replacing every 20 years or so. I hope to be in town for a weekend towards the end of August so hopefully the weather should be ok, and it will be light till quite late so i will be able to get out and about, I don't drive anymore due to poor eyesight, and hope to go on a few day trips via coach to places such as Chatsworth House. I really want to do a tour of Council House if possible?

welcome aboard sheridan hope you enjoy the fourum and our mainly happy crew

Welcome Sheridan

Visited Australia I think it's a great country but no matter how you like it you still want to come back home. Don't expect the weather to be great in August though.

But we did win the Aussies at cricket

mary1947

hellothere

Sheridan i visit Nottingham two or three times a year and it's still a great City.Actually just pickup airline ticket's for July's trip to the UK.

I'm not sure where Cranbrook Street is but this is Nottingham, not Detroit Michigan. As I'm sure you know, any big city you have to be careful and aware of your surroundings. I'm sure you'll have a great time in the city. For the hell of it, make sure you ride the tram to Hucknell and back to get the feel of the place and try not to look like a tourist. You'll have a great time.

Cranbrook Street is the bottom of Hockley where little Woolworths is(was).

Should be no problems. And easy walking to Vic Centre or City Centre.

Welcome Sheridan

Hope you enjoy your visit. As for the changes, everytime I go out something or other seems to have changed but I guess that is the nature of all big cities. Most people don't appreciate what they have around them until it is gone, I certainly wish I had taken more notice of buildings etc when I was younger.

• 1 month later...

why not if seridan has a free night while he is here but its time we dad a meet up again week ends a bit mad for me through out august what with rockers reunion this weekend a rockand roll night on the 10th weekend 16th a charity gig mfn for macmilan and a wedding onthe 17th and some how got to pull in a visit to reble rally that weekend too looks like being early friday evening and a couple of birth days comming up to might just catch myself comming back.

• Upvote 1