A quiet Sunday in the 70s

This was posted on the Nottingham facebook page . Basically someones home video showing their trips . After about 6 mins in , the Nottingham segment starts and shows extensive views from the castle and then Carter Gate and the Square .

It must have been a Sunday , before Sunday trading was introduced as its so quiet .

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

The Nottingham bits are Interesting. The views from the Castle show an area which has changed massively since the film was taken. It shows what is now the Castle Marina complex - with housing and retail parks - when it was still an area full of railway sidings and goods yards. And back then Castle Meadow Road was a road going nowhere with a few warehouses and factories. What you see here was totally cleared in the 70s/80s and is now completely different.

But the scenes in the city centre (Lister Gate, not Carter Gate :) ) have hardly changed at all and could almost be taken today. There's now more pedestrianisation in Castle Gate/Middle Pavement but the shops are surprisingly similar - although there are quite a few more empty units now.

Thanks for the correction Cliff Ton :)

Trouble is , I am now at a stage in life , where I have lived longer in Cornwall than I did in Nottingham and though I remember a lot of street names , its now getting hazy where they are located !

Not so quiet in the evenings though......I seem to remember a very busy Mortimers Cavern on a Sunday night! :-)

• Like 1
  • 5 years later...

The only thing that looks familiar Red is the ''Line of trees'' in the far background ,,which would be Bestwood estate,, so are you standing in Hucknall ?

• Like 1

The new build looks similar to a factory I had dealings with on Lenton Ind Est (not far from the council tip) but where this photo is... no idea but I guess Dunkirk area?

Looking towards the Priory I'd say.

• Like 1
On 6/8/2013 at 4:45 PM, Stan said:

Think I`m crazy if you wish, but I always used to love wandering the back alleys and streets of St. Anns ,the Lace market ,etc. Full of human interest and surprise.

It's still pretty much the same, only rubbish has taken over the interest,and the surprise is not good!!.

• Like 1

Yes, Castle Meadow Rd, the area just before clearance for the Tax Offices. John Stephens Roofing can be seen, they're now across the road. The long building isn't/wasn't Homebase which was further up, apparently it's Castle Park, retail and factory unit.

Second picture also Woodside Rd as stated. I think the bus is turning into Brook Rd. I think that might be the petrol station on the island corner just visible behind the bus.

We used to catch the bus to my aunt's just across the road, I always thought it was the 45, could be wrong, can't remember if it went past Wollaton Park. 

42 minutes ago, TBI said:

The long building isn't/wasn't Homebase which was further up, apparently it's Castle Park, retail and factory unit.

You're right !   Digging around a bit more, I've now remembered that the original Homebase building was green.

• 1 year later...

When I were a conductor, my old driver, Joe Handley always referred to Parliament street depot as "Carter Gate" never heard him call it owt else.