Old sweets, chocolates and snacks

Just been visiting the Moffat Toffee Shop, which is just stuffed with jars of memories, from chewing nuts, kali,rhubarb and custard to name a few. I treated myself to a bag of bulls eyes because these always bring back memories of going on holiday to Wales with mum, dad, and my brothers. Squabbling about who had to sit in the middle, asking the interminible question of "Are we nearly there yet?" And dad sharing out the bulls eyes or boiled sweets (never liked them much!) Always the bulls eyes for me. And even better, unlike so many things they don't seem to have shrunk in size :-)

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If I had any spare money I would occasionally invest in one of these:

Re# 130. Maybe the decrease in size of various chocolate bars, snacks and biscuits is due to the enforced introduction of metrication. Also on some I notice, the type of chocolate has altered. Perhaps

I think it was Berridge Rd. Central near to Stanley Rd. Jill although I'm sure lots of sweet shops sold them. I lived on Russell Rd. and loved the shops nearby. Such a choice of newsagents, chippies,

Oops. Soz. Must be losing me accent! I meant tuffees and dudoos. Lols

I remember my sister once giving a friend and myself 2 bob for sweets as we were going to the Forum, Aspley Lane. We bought 24 1d sherberts. We nearly choked and were nearly sick! It was great!

• Upvote 1

quite a few old fashioned tuffey shops poping up all over the place now some can be expensive though we like to go to the little shop on the green in baslow derbyshire most of his are only 1pound for 100grams if he has not got what you ask for he will try to get it for you the next time he goes to the wearhose, we go at least once a fortnight to stock up on our tuffeys for the car i like mint creams and barly sugarpiggy has treacle toffee and cough sweets pluss a few mintos for sucking on our trips out and about.

I miss the old sweets from my child hood! The chewie mints in the white and green wrappers. Rhubarb & Custards, Blue dolphins, Push-pops?, choc limes, Edible paper (I remember my big sister used to bring me loads of this back when i was younger), Sugar mice and chewy bananas + shrimps.

... i need to find somewhere that does the old school pic n mix, just like they used to be in the 90s! Because even the ones you can still get now, taste nothing like they used to! :(

The Pick n Mix at the Showcase Cinema complex on Clifton Boulevard (where we always go because of the car park) is a right rip-off. You can get quite carried away filling your bag and then having to fork out about a tenner when it's weighed, lol

I never buy any thing food wise at the cinema. I take a large-ish handbag, a bag of toffee popcorn, couple bottles of drink and a bag of sweets (all from pound shop!) Just as good as the stuff from the cinema its self :)

In the 1970s we kept a Beer Off and sold lots of tuffees and dudoos for kids and grownups,can any one remember the sweet tobacco and sweet cigarettes,and for the big kids we used to sell bars of Milk Tray and same with dark chocolate (cant remember the name)i think it might have been Bourneville plain selection they had about 10 or 12 different chocolates to the bar.and Old Jamaica,can you still by that,They stopped doing the Milk Tray choc bars while we still had the shop.And spangles,they finished in 1984,they did an Old English flavors to.Can you remember Beechnut and Juicy fruit chewing gum,Oh Hum,got the nibbles now,just going to raid the duddoo jar.lol

Spangles came back for a while,I got some a few years ago. They bring back memories of my dad coming in from working dahn t pit. He always bought me a packet back with him :-)

Hi Darkazana

I remember them bringing the spangles back just for a short while,a shame they took them of again ,perhaps they didn't sell well second time round,Its nice memory for you of you'r dad bringing you the spangles,its funny how these things stay in our minds for ever.

This topic is covered in chocolate (Sorry , carried away there) This topic is already covered on here. Search dudoos or summat!

There are quite a few "English Lolly shops" opening here in oz, yes they call em Lollies here :-)

But they keep some real old style sweets, from Flying saucers, to bullseyes, sherbert lemons and many more.

My daughters who were born in the uk, but grown up here, love to go there and buy bags of memories.

I had an Aussie penfriend (In the early 70's) who went on a trip to some sweet factory over there. , Arnot , Metta, Menz , is the name that springs to mind

This topic is covered in chocolate (Sorry , carried away there) This topic is already covered on here. Search dudoos or summat!

I did search for the topic under sweets but nothing matching came up that ressembled the title. Not been on here that long to know every subject covered. Know its been touched on but that seemed to be all. Most topics get repeated under different titles.

black jacks, fruit salad, chews, gob stoppers, I could go on and on :bluespin04::bluespin04: :bluespin04: :bluespin04:

If you want old fashioned boiled sweets try Edwardian at Huthwaite near Sutton in Ashfield if you can get.They make 'em and supply all these fancy shops.Everybody in Huthwaite knows the 'tuffee factory' and will tell you where it is.

The factory shop there is at least half the price of the shops..well worth stocking up.All the old favourites there...Choc Limes.Peanut Brittle,Rhubarb & Custard,Bullseyes etc...over 100 lines.

carni yes they still do old jamaca i thought they had stoped making it but they have comleatly changed the wrapper one of mine and my brother inlaws faves he always brought me one when i babysat for them and a bar of coffee crisp anyone remember them chocolate on the out side then wafer biscuet and then in the middle coffee flavored areo about an inch thick and 5 inch long but like a lot of coffee flavored things you just dont get them any more think it was something to do with when the price of coffee whent right up.

Good for you Pixie. Trouble with us is we decide at the last minute to go to the pictures so don't have time to plan the refreshments!

we used to be the same, but now I have to ask at least in advance for someone to look after little one. I do miss spontaneous ouings! lol

try chocolatebuttons.co.uk a friend ordered from them a while back.. I think I may treat myself to a few bags of childhood memories :) yum!