Old sweets, chocolates and snacks

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If I had any spare money I would occasionally invest in one of these:

Re# 130. Maybe the decrease in size of various chocolate bars, snacks and biscuits is due to the enforced introduction of metrication. Also on some I notice, the type of chocolate has altered. Perhaps

I think it was Berridge Rd. Central near to Stanley Rd. Jill although I'm sure lots of sweet shops sold them. I lived on Russell Rd. and loved the shops nearby. Such a choice of newsagents, chippies,

A bit off topic i know but "Suckers" were frozen fruit juice on a stick? I remember once we went to london and my dad asked for five "suckers", the Cockney in the shop didn't know what they were he replied with a laugh, "Your the Sucker, Mate"

A bit off topic i know but "Suckers" were frozen fruit juice on a stick? I remember once we went to london and my dad asked for five "suckers", the Cockney in the shop didn't know what they were he replied with a laugh, "Your the Sucker, Mate"

No...I think you're ON topic.

Like poohbear, I'm trying to work out why post #50 is in a thread about Old Fashioned Sweets.

Talking of Titanic...Licorice, any other old gits on here remember those halfpenny sticks? 5 inches long, bit thinner than a pencil and ROCK HARD!! now that was licorice!...Strong,gave you a black tongue,and made you regular for a month.

By the way, most in the trade use Licorice,but Liquorice is just as acceptable.

Anybody know if liquorice wood is still available? I remember years ago my mum would buy it from a herbalist shop on Mansfield Rd in town just up from Vic Centre on the on the left

No...I think you're ON topic.

Like poohbear, I'm trying to work out why post #50 is in a thread about Old Fashioned Sweets.

You're the mod , move it !!

Anybody know if liquorice wood is still available? I remember years ago my mum would buy it from a herbalist shop on Mansfield Rd in town just up from Vic Centre on the on the left

:No1: no2

Used to love Palm Toffee bars, flavoured sandwich layer between two toffee layers.................banana, strawberry, lemon, lime????????????

cost all of 3d, half pocket money.......................gone on the one Palm Toffee binge!!

Fry's Chocolate Sandwich bars - you could get two kinds: either two layers of milk chocolate with a plain chocolate layer between them or the other way around.

Then there was Fry's Five Boys as well.

Probably all cost 6d - everything did in those days, except Kit-Kat which was 5d.

The thing is, all those things used to taste great at the time.

Aztec bars, Caramac, Mars, Pink Panther.....

Mars used to be a really nice chocolate bar - lovely gooey caramel etc. I tried one recently and it tasted nothing like I remembered.

Same is true of Galaxy chocolate. It use to be a really nice creamy taste, now it tastes powdery and clogging.

And before anyone suggests that its just my memory playing tricks, it's not.

All of these things have been cheapened over the years.

If you look in the list of ingredients you will see thinks like 'padding' or caolin. Quite simply (supposedly) inert substances which just add weight. In fact, caolin is actually clay!

I recently saw that Kinder bars - which used to be lovely, now say 'More milk Less cocao' on them. In other words, less expensive ingredients, more cheap stuff (i.e. milk powder).

Trying to find decent sweets these days is hard work - and I've got a sweet tooth!

Your best bet is to go to places like Holland and Barrett - where you can get decent liquorice that doesn't just taste like treacle.

One other tip - try cake decorations. Silver Spoon make lovely strawberry buttons.

fry five flavoured chocolate bar different flavoured creams covered in dark chocolate strawberry blackberry lemon lime and coffee if i remmember right used to love them.

think it had special name but not sure what it was

licorice root sticks are available in quite a few of the old fashtioned sweet shops all over the place now

:biggrin: 'Fry's Five Centre', such a delight back then; pink, orange, green and light brown, all these lovely colours in a chocolate bar - how clever the Confectioners.

Saturday morning errands done and with the rewards of my work jangling in my pocket, I'd treat myself to a 'Five Centre' - savouring every bit of it. :biggrin:

PS: Thanks Trevor for the beautiful, colourful poster.

yeh thanks trevor was raspberry not lemon as i thought making my moth water nowneed chocolate better go and see if i got any in my fridge know i got a pk chocolate raisins they will do

went downstairs to chocopan quasants for brunch and my son had brought me a plain chocolate bounty so i have now eaten that too leave my raisins till later.

i buy my chocolate rasins from llidle 200 g for less than 50p and good quality chocolate too

Can you remember the Fry's Five Boys bar,with the little boy who went from desperation to happy expectation when he gets the chocolate,well the little boy was called Lindsay Poulton,the photo's were taken in 1886 by his father,and Grandfather and uncle,he originally wore a sailor suit but was later change to striped jumper.the way they got little Lindsay to look so desperate in the first picture was to put a cloth soaked in photographers ammonia round his neck,he was 5yrs old and Fry's paid him £200 for exclusive use of the photo's (I bet Elf and Safety would have some thing to say)In 1962 Lindsay was living in East Providence,Rhode Island,The Five Boys Bar was discontinued in 1976. :huh:

• Upvote 1