Old sweets, chocolates and snacks

How do you know what Doggy Choc Drops taste like pooh ?

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If I had any spare money I would occasionally invest in one of these:

Re# 130. Maybe the decrease in size of various chocolate bars, snacks and biscuits is due to the enforced introduction of metrication. Also on some I notice, the type of chocolate has altered. Perhaps

I think it was Berridge Rd. Central near to Stanley Rd. Jill although I'm sure lots of sweet shops sold them. I lived on Russell Rd. and loved the shops nearby. Such a choice of newsagents, chippies,

Trust you ;)

'Cos I've tasted the stuff...it's what they use in cheapo imports...that's why some sweets use the abbreviation 'Choc' because it's never seen a chocolate bean and they can't call it chocolate.

I'll get some, eat the lot, then I'll be Choc bang full !

• Upvote 1
  • 11 months later...

After contact with the Robert Opie packaging museum I can now say with conviction that the modern Waggon Wheel is 21% smaller than the original! I wonder how many other sweeties etc are that much smaller than their original models?

#13!

And the dustbin men (in the days before they were refuse collectors or hygiene operatives) walked round to the back of the house, picked up the bin, carried it to the dustcart, emptied it, carried the empty bin back again AND shut the gate! Now we have to drag the thing onto the pavement and if two flakes of snow should fall from the skies, the bu99ers don't turn up!

Progress? :angry:

If the lids half an inch open, then no chance either !

Re# 130. Maybe the decrease in size of various chocolate bars, snacks and biscuits is due to the enforced introduction of metrication. Also on some I notice, the type of chocolate has altered. Perhaps it's the consistency of the ingredients, again maybe due to EU interference, or the inferior quality of Fair Trade produce. Let's face it, the majority is crap ! 

On the cake front, the chocolate on cream puffs or 'Elephants Feet' has definitely deteriorated, as has the chocolate on top of eclairs. It's more like a soggy icing sugar these days.  

Lets return to our proper snacks ! 

• Upvote 4

Made me laugh out loud years back when a Mars spokesman declared that they had reduced bar weight to help the public reduce their consumption of sugar for a healthier life.

If that bloke convinced anyone they should put him in charge of cladding sales for high rise flats!

• Upvote 1

On 25/06/2016 at 2:56 PM, FLY2 said:

Callard & Bowsers also made things like caramels, butterscotch and fudgie items too.

ALL very palatable I may say!

Bit of a late reply I'm afraid FLY2 but on the subject of Callard & Bowser I remember buying a Callard & Bowser selection box in the mid 60s in the run up to Christmas. It contained a pack of each of their products including liquorice toffee in a black packet and an almond toffee called Plain Jane in a pink packet.

• Upvote 1

Anybody remember a sweet called Chocoos?

We used to buy them on Berridge Rd. when I was at school in the early 60s.

They were small brown nibs and made from sugar and cocoa. They were sold loose out a jar.

I think they were 6d a quarter but were a poor substitute for real chocolate. 

On reflection they didn't taste great but you seemed to get a lot for your 6d

• Upvote 1

Such beautiful brickwork in those days, and the familiar bike propped up against the wall.

If I had any spare money I would occasionally invest in one of these:

34978711021_45295af73d_s.jpg

• Upvote 4

Choked on those a few times.

I believe the idea was to bite the ends off the hollow liquorice tube and suck up the sherbet. Problem was it took quite a suck to get it going and when you sucked hard the sherbet would hit the back of your throat before entering your lungs whereupon it would nearly suffocate you lol.

Safer just to dip the liquorice stick in methinks.

Talking of the safety of sweets my friend managed to get a giant gobstopper stuck in his mouth trapped behind his teeth. I think his mum had to prise his mouth open to flick it out.

• Upvote 3

Mess, My like is not for the problem your friend had with the gobstopper (I'm not that cruel:crazy:) in fact I probably had similar  milder experiences my self.

You explained the effects of sucking the sherbet through the liqourice too quickly, spot on. I can recall the choking experience as if it was yesterday. I was still choking on 'Sherbet Fountains' in my 20/30s in the 1970s during my time running my corner shop, and selling (and sampling) all the delights of the childrens 'Penny Tray'.  I never liked the'Flying Saucers' though, even they used to make me choke sometimes?

• Upvote 2

Essentially sweetened baking powder with added flavour to mask the astringency of the ingredients.

I see malic acid is also sometimes used as an ingredient. If you didn't know malic acid occurs in green apples and is very sour indeed.

All the "sour" kids sweets available today use it.

Do you remember Cresta which was a sherbet fruit flavoured drink? The TV ads with Cresta bear were very funny. Some of the ads are on YouTube but I can't find the first one they used when the product was launched I think in the early 70s. It was hilarious. The strap line was "It's frothy man" and it certainly was. I quite liked it but lots of people didn't which I suppose is why it didn't last.

When it first appeared it was very creamy/frothy but it was toned down later. 

• Upvote 1

It probably made them hyper active Mess. The regular drinkers when young are all probably in nick now serving long sentences.

• Upvote 1

Aw, you've done it again, CT. I can still remember the lovely smell from inside that sweet factory. Walked past it twice every Thursday until I was 4 and then every Thursday of school holidays until mid 1965, on my way to Garden Street. Yes, those brick built terraced houses far surpass what replaced them.